Thread: System can't maintain temperature

Post Likes

System can't maintain temperature

I'm working on a project where the building has a two pipe system with condensing boilers and an air cooled chiller.

There are very very old fan coil units throughout.

It's a dormitory type building with about 75 dorm rooms.

The owner is complaining that the system cannot really maintain temperature/humidity. (cannot provide sufficient heat in winter and maintain humidity in summer)

They said this system never worked well even on the first day it was installed.

I'm thinking it's undersized.

I know very little info. has been given so far, but any ideas on culprit? Or what other info can I obtain to help with this?

thank you

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    Run it overnight on a night during which it will not maintain space temperature and see if the boiler water temperature is >180º F.

If it is: something is wrong with the radiation.

If it's not: the boilers are not producing enough heat.

If the boilers are not producing enough heat check their rated output against the amount of gas being consumed by the boilers.

If the two ratings match - I would lean towards 'not enough boiler' for the heat loss of the structure. And if that were the sub-conclusion I would first look for ways to decrease the structure's heat losses.

If the boiler's maintain a > 180º F. temperature - I would have a look at how clean the coils are, if anything is blocking air flow, and how clean the blower wheels are.

I would want to know the boiler's temperature 'split' - temperature difference from return to supply.
    And I would want to know the water temperature difference (drop) across the coils inlet-to-outlet.

Because maybe you are bypassing boiler water somewhere in the building.

PHM
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by S_Kelly View Post
    I'm working on a project where the building has a two pipe system with condensing boilers and an air cooled chiller.

The owner is complaining that the system cannot really maintain temperature/humidity. (cannot provide sufficient heat in winter and maintain humidity in summer)

I know very little info. has been given so far, but any ideas on culprit? Or what other info can I obtain to help with this?

thank you
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by S_Kelly View Post

I know very little info. has been given so far, but any ideas on culprit?

Or what other info can I obtain to help with this?

thank you
    Step 1 of so, so many on a winding path
    _ ____ only 1 piece of info provided.

Building built in 1915 or 2015 ?

5 Stories ? 24,000 Sq Feet ?

35'N or 53'N latitude ... N. America

Chiller is in the range 40 Tons ?

Boiler(s) output is > ~ 600,000 BTU/HR [ qty. 1 ] ??
    or maybe 400,000 [ qty. 2 ]
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    Love that kind of job just absolutely love it. But it really needs to be in one of the locked forums.

Oops, just realized this thread is a bit old.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by icy78 View Post
    Love that kind of job just absolutely love it. But it really needs to be in one of the locked forums.

Oops, just realized this thread is a bit old.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

No problem. The Original Poster simply dropped the ball.

This thread Ain't Goin ANYWHERE.
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    To be fair Dan - you have to take at least some blame - you did carefully avoid telling him where the fix-it switch is. <g>

PHM
    ----------

Quote Originally Posted by dan sw fl View Post

No problem. The Original Poster simply dropped the ball.

This thread Ain't Goin ANYWHERE.
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

7. Likes Nuclrchiller liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    To be fair Dan - you have to take at least some blame -
    you did carefully avoid telling him where the fix-it switch is. <g>

PHM
    ----------
    With close to NIL info, the only FIX-IT
    That I know of at-this-point
    IS - Hope that it remains Spring & Fall FOREVER.

9. Likes kdean1 liked this post.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in