Thread: Help with ringing heat pump line set

Post Likes

Help with ringing heat pump line set

Iím at a loss here and so this is my last resort. We have a Bryant BH14 3 ton heat pump. These system is nice and quiet in cooling and defrost mode. However in heat mode after running for some time the line set(~30ft) developes a 1240hz almost pure tone ring to it. It builds slowly over the course of an hour during the first heat cycle before the first defrost. It hits it peak volume before defrost (45min-1hr) and goes away during defrost and then immediately returns to it previous max volume pre defrost once the lines have returned to what Iíll call a steady state operating pressure (~1min post defrost end)

I had a YouTube video to add here, but the forum wonít let me post it. Mods could you help?

Iíve loosened most the line set straps, wrapped it in pipe insulation and nothing helps. I donít think itís resonating in the structure of the house. Itís not in the duct. Iíve verified itís in the lines, I get peak volume on my audio spectrum analyzer when itís held on the lines. Itís almost like there is a standing wave on the line and it acts like a tuning fork.

Had a field tech come out and check the system who did at least acknowledge the noise but said there was nothing he could do about it. He did check the pressure and temp of the lines and seemed ok for it being 20 degrees outside.(did verbally mention there was little to no sc) He said it might be a tad low but itís hard to say with it being this cold and would be afraid to add.

So sort of get the impression I need a more experienced person. He was a young field tech with no install experience. I donít mean that in a way that is demeaning to him, but we all know breadth and depth of experience is valuable. I guess I was hoping for a hvac vet that has seen and fought it all.

Thoughts on where I go from here?

Post Likes