+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HVACR Position, Univ of CO, Aurora, Colorado

Post Likes

HVACR Position, Univ of CO, Aurora, Colorado

The University of Colorado, Anschutz Medical Campus in Aurora, Colorado is hiring. We are looking for an experienced HVACR technician. You do not have to have experience on all the equipment we maintain, just a solid background in hvac, and the right attitude. You must be a Colorado resident at the time of application. I am pursuing a waiver option, so if this job does not get filled, future postings may be open to out-of-state candidates. I know there are good techs out there who are looking for a change. I was when I came here, and I immediately knew I'd found a place I could work at until retirement. I started as a tech, moved up to lead tech, and now am the shop supervisor.

While working for the state won't make you as rich as other places can, it does offer an excellent work environment, with good benefits. As a state employee you will be a part of PERA - a pension program. You'll have good medical benefits, earn vacation and sick time, and get several holidays off. We even have parental leave now, for the mother or father, and we offer education benefits. The posting mentions that you are an essential employee and subject to call backs for emergencies. The times we have to come in after work hours is rare, and no where near what you might be use to working for other companies. I am flexible with my employees work hours. Currently, they are all working 4/10's, which is their choice. The ad mentions critical skills pay - this is a substantial increase to your base pay, based on the training you have, and the training you'll receive while employed here.

One of our main responsibilities is maintaining walk-in environmental rooms; however, the shop has grown to maintain all kinds of equipment: fan coil units, hanging package units, chillers, exhaust fans, RTU's, furnaces, humidifiers, heat pumps, split a.c., air compressors. Much of our work on campus is indoors. When we do have to work outside, say on a rooftop unit, or changing out an exhaust fan motor, we try to schedule it for a good weather day. I love having a campus to maintain, versus always walking into an unknown situation. You get to know the buildings and equipment, and the people involved. We have really new buildings and equipment, and we have a few really old buildings and equipment - this campus was an army post at one time. Our focus is on doing the job right, not making a profit. You are given the tools and time you need. Our work directly facilitates research, and it's something to feel proud of. The University Hospital and Children's Hospital are on this campus, but we do not maintain those two buildings. This campus is constantly growing, and you'll have chances to review projects, and walk new construction. Our shop has a separate division that focuses on BAS and also does building recommissioning. You'll have an opportunity to get training from, and work with that group.

Please don't apply if you view state jobs as a place to kick up your feet; that is not how this shop operates. We take pride in our work, and have a huge impact on helping to keep this campus running. I'm just as concerned with the attitude of candidates, as I am with their experience. You will be a part of a team, and will not be left to figure it out on your own when you do need help. Check out the posting if you are interested, or share it with someone you know that's looking for the greener grass.

https://cu.taleo.net/careersection/2...8&src=JB-10100
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    I wish I would have seen this ad in 1978, sounds like a great opportunity.

3. Likes strogen, CHAINIK liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Now THAT is EXACTLY how a job description should be written! Gives specifics of salary, compensation, benefits, and an perfect job description. I am tempted to move out near my buddy 71CHOPS, and take that position.

5. Likes baub liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hevysrf View Post
    I wish I would have seen this ad in 1978, sounds like a great opportunity.
    Their pay is $55K/year, seems pretty low by today's standard. a third year union apprentice makes that much!
    There is not better place for the working men than the union! 100% UA the only HVAC union!

Post Likes
    I was just in Denver, I wasN’T staying far from this campus. Comparing this In-House job to an HVAC Tech at a For-Hire Contractor from the Pipe Trades Union is NOT a like comparison. A more comparable analogy would be to that of an HVAC Engineer from the Operating Engineers Union.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Dislikes Dootch disliked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by AdrianOmarPerez View Post
    I was just in Denver, I wasN’T staying far from this campus. Comparing this In-House job to an HVAC Tech at a For-Hire Contractor from the Pipe Trades Union is NOT a like comparison. A more comparable analogy would be to that of an HVAC Engineer from the Operating Engineers Union.

You don't know what you talking about, My local (UA) has many service (BTJ/BTA) techs permanently assigned to sites, breweries,foundries,labs,,you name it, We can do a whole lot more than operating engineers union guys.
    There is not better place for the working men than the union! 100% UA the only HVAC union!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    You don't know what you talking about, My local (UA) has many service (BTJ/BTA) techs permanently assigned to sites, breweries,foundries,labs,,you name it, We can do a whole lot more than operating engineers union guys.
    Good for you. Colorado has about 350 Union Service Techs across 4 PTU Locals in a population base of 5.5M, you’re comparison for a UCMC HVAC Engineer is unjust. Name me one Local 208 Contractor w/ permanent Techs at any of those site types you listed.

Post Likes
    Good for you. Colorado has about 350 Union Service Techs across 4 PTU Locals in a population base of 5.5M, you’re comparison for a UCMC HVAC Engineer is unjust. Name me one Local 208 Contractor w/ permanent Techs at any of those site types you listed.

Dont know about 350 but I can name you quite a few from 638 and 420, those two locals alone probably have over 400 bTJ(a) permanently assigned to sites.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    Dont know about 350 but I can name you quite a few from 638 and 420, those two locals alone probably have over 400 bTJ(a) permanently assigned to sites.
    So you’re comparing a UCMC HVAC Engineer to a PTU HVAC Tech in NYC or Philly?
    350 as in the number of PTU HVAC Techs in the whole state of Colorado.
    Two regional Signatories of the PTU have their “Facilities” counterparts as non-union. None of the HVAC Engineers in Denver are in the PTU. As far as any For-Hire Service Contractor having PTU HVAC Techs on-site for an account - it’s possible. Even if so, that’s NOT the same thing as a facility being Sig.
    FYI, CO PT Serviceman covers Light Commercial including small chillers and boilers. Journeyman cover CAS chillers and large boilers excluding hi-pressure steam. There is one Residential HVAC shop that pays Journeyman wages for Residential HVAC Service.

Post Likes
    *Update from original posting - there is still a position open and we are now able to accept out of state applicants. You do not have to be a Colorado resident when you apply. The posting on Indeed will be updated to reflect this early next week. See OP in this thread and read through the posting on the state's website for a job description. Apply at the link if interested.

https://cu.taleo.net/careersection/2...=19714&lang=en

Post Likes
    As a former state employee I can attest to how CDHS operates. If Anschutz operates the way you say, and I was a technician, I would probably apply. Sounds like a good path for a mid 30s tech with children to find a lasting career.

Too many times I've heard about places like CDOC, CDHS and others about the working conditions and how poor they operate. Especially the caliber of customers one has to deal with.

I do have one question (because CDHS had a horrible policy): Are you able to hire at the maximum for a PMT-II?

Post Likes
    Dootch, as the posting states, most applicants start at or near the low end of the scale. Salary decisions are above my level, and would be determined on a case-by-case basis. The critical skills pay really helps to bump up the base salary, and that is based on how much training you have.

Anschutz Medical Campus is a great place to work. Many people looking for work focus too much on the pay, and not enough on the work environment and other benefits. While pay is of course important, and everyone wants to make as much as possible, studies show that it is not at the top of the list of what makes people happy at work, and what keeps them at their jobs. Often techs are willing to sacrifice working conditions for more pay, however at some point, I think many start looking for that stable job that they can turn into a career.

16. Likes Dootch liked this post.
    Post Likes
    So you’re comparing a UCMC HVAC Engineer to a PTU HVAC Tech in NYC or Philly?
    350 as in the number of PTU HVAC Techs in the whole state of Colorado.
    Two regional Signatories of the PTU have their “Facilities” counterparts as non-union. None of the HVAC Engineers in Denver are in the PTU. As far as any For-Hire Service Contractor having PTU HVAC Techs on-site for an account - it’s possible. Even if so, that’s NOT the same thing as a facility being Sig.
    FYI, CO PT Serviceman covers Light Commercial including small chillers and boilers. Journeyman cover CAS chillers and large boilers excluding hi-pressure steam. There is one Residential HVAC shop that pays Journeyman wages for Residential HVAC Service.

DUDE.. everywhere i see your face on this site you are arguing with someone about your Union etc.. give it a break man!
    Say "I just need a little Freon" one more time!

Post Likes
    HVAC Engineer vs. HVAC Chiller Tech, two different things.
    NOT that I follow you or looked into your posts, but you’ve come out on my feed recently. It seems that you talk about other people’s shortcomings or lack of skill. So what’s wrong with that? Nothing. I see it as you simply doing the HVACR industry a service (NO pun intended).
    If collective bargaining isN’T involving you, then why chime in? I’m NOT an ex-member of this specific Union, I’m NOT a ex-member or member of an unaffiliated Union, I’m NOT a Union hater because of whatever the Teamsters, Teachers Union, etc. are doing. I’m a current member who tells it like it really is. My outlook now, if Union is better - prove it.
    Back to this Thread here, I am saying that being a non-union HVAC Engineer (at that specific site) isN’T really comparable to being a Union Chiller Tech at a For-Hire shop, duties or pay-wise, in Denver.

Post Likes
    HVAC Engineer vs. HVAC Chiller Tech, two different things.
    NOT that I follow you or looked into your posts, but you’ve come out on my feed recently. It seems that you talk about other people’s shortcomings or lack of skill. So what’s wrong with that? Nothing. I see it as you simply doing the HVACR industry a service (NO pun intended).
    If collective bargaining isN’T involving you, then why chime in? I’m NOT an ex-member of this specific Union, I’m NOT a ex-member or member of an unaffiliated Union, I’m NOT a Union hater because of whatever the Teamsters, Teachers Union, etc. are doing. I’m a current member who tells it like it really is. My outlook now, if Union is better - prove it.
    Back to this Thread here, I am saying that being a non-union HVAC Engineer (at that specific site) isN’T really comparable to being a Union Chiller Tech at a For-Hire shop, duties or pay-wise, in Denver.

You sure have a lot to say about Denver and how things operate here. Do you live here? Do you work for a national company?

Post Likes

HVACR Position, Univ of CO, Aurora, Colorado

Yes, I have a presence in Denver. Now you just seem bent, over the other Denver post. I am NOT hating on Denver. If you take to time to digest this Thread, I am saying that this job is a good HVAC Engineer job. Somebody else came in here comparing it to a Union Chiller Tech job or to wages/scale of his (the replier’s) home Local. That is NOT a like comparison.
    If I came across as “hating” on Denver - my fault.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in