Thread: Opinion on repair time

Post Likes

Opinion on repair time

I manage a 20 month old self storage facility and we had two (of 12) Rheem air handlers, model #RH1P4821STANDA, which needed repairs. I used a reputable HVAC firm to perform the work and the repair on one of the units was performed as quoted. The repair quoted for the second unit was quoted as having a refrigerant leak in the evaporator coil. The evaporator coil and the liquid line dryer were to be replaced and the evaporator coil would be provided by the manufacturer under warranty. Upon completion the unit would be charged with refrigerant.

The technician who initially diagnosed the problem was not the same technician to perform the repair/replacement work. When the technician visited the property to perform the repairs he instead discovered a flare joint at the TXV was leaking and not a bad evaporator coil. He repaired the leak, pulled a vacuum on the system, and charged the system with new refrigerant.

When I received the invoice I expected there to be less time involved for the actual repair that took place and a subsequent reduction in the originally quoted amount. When I questioned this I was told repairing the leak was as time consuming as replacing the evaporator coil, liquid line dryer, pulling the vacuum and replacing the refrigerant so the cost was the same. In my limited understanding of what had to happen I believe the vacuum and refrigerant replacement would be required in either scenario.

Thoughts?

Post Likes
    It is the same amount of work. The only thing he didn't have to do was carry a coil to and from his truck. By the sounds of it the job was done properly since they knew enough to replace the filter drier.

Post Likes
    If it was a leaking flare joint, thats a field made connection.

Pending on terms of original labor warranty of the equipment, that possibly should be covered.

You stated the coil would be under warranty. So logic follows that a general workmanship labor warranty may have similar term

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    That unit is a solder in unit, so no field installed flares, unless they used a flared filter drier.
    He may be calling the TXV connections flares, which can leak from factory.
    Based on what you said, it is the same about of time to either job correctly,: Recover refrigerant, fix leak, evacuate systems (pull vacuum), recharge, and do operational check.
    Philippians 4:13
    I can do all things in him that strengthen me.
    Apostle Paul inspired by GOD.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by heatingman View Post
    If it was a leaking flare joint, thats a field made connection.

Pending on terms of original labor warranty of the equipment, that possibly should be covered.

You stated the coil would be under warranty. So logic follows that a general workmanship labor warranty may have similar term

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Standard labor warranty from installing contractor is 12 months.

OP implies that company doing the work, may not be the same company that installed the equipment.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?