Thread: Condensing flue gas's in the chimney

Post Likes

Condensing flue gas's in the chimney

The negative effect I don't need discussed. What I do need is help finding a link to share discussing the whole negative effect on the equipment and the chimney.

Do you guys have anything

Post Likes
    Isn't it good enough to say it's not code compliant
    I'm not young enough, to know everything...

Post Likes
    when I'm asking someone to spend 60k to put in a condensing domestic boiler, having something for the customer to read ( which isnt an idiot and asks lots of questions) it a good idea.

Post Likes
    Are you trying to explain why you cant just run any boiler at low temp?

IE why they need a condensing boiler?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    More directly the deterioration of the chimney. Std tile and mortar.

I am not getting a google search back that covers everything.

Post Likes
    Not sure if I can post it here, but I emailed you a link to nfpa - 211

Also try NFPA 54

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    The equipment installation manual covers the required flu piping.....and no manual will tell you to just shove the flu pipe into an existing chimney.....unless the pipe is ran to the roof.

Just casue the guy isn't a fool, doesn't mean he can tell you to install equipment against manufacturer requirements.

Post Likes
    A member passed me some good link for info. But before I could use it I decided to show him. We took the insulation off the flue and holy hell it was bad. The insulation in places was the flue in a section.
    Main boiler was 4.5m summer domestic boiler was a copperfin 2 750k . No longer. He now understand why I am recommending a lochinvar Armor.
    Yes the flue is being replaced already.

I enjoy taking on these projects. This is a new customer of ours that has had years of bad service.

Post Likes
    So basically, he had become accustomed to educating himself to try to save money! Good for him.

And good for you for showing the "proof"! He will end up being a great customer!

Post Likes
    He has been in this position for 2 years. And the boiler there for 11. So he also walked into the mess also. But he is a great customer already. He listens, can understand the technical discussions and wants to make the mechanical room correct and efficient.

Post Likes
    Man, try to make that guy happy!! Those customers can be few and far between!

12. Likes Cool breeze 38 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    A chimney must be suitable for the class of service. A 'chimney' is not rated for positive vent pressure. If you have a CAT III or IV gas appliance, it must be vented using listed venting (UL1738) unless otherwise expressly listed by the equipment mfr. for that appliance (e.g. PVC). You cannot common vent positive vent pressure appliances unless all are listed venting together.
    You can reference NFPA 211 and either the Nat'l or Int'l Fuel gas codes. Most vent mfrs. have a handbook for vent design that discusses these issues. Most liner mfrs. have brochures that discuss flue gas condensation damage.
    In general, EVERY masonry chimney should be relined with a listed liner system as NONE can pass a level II exam. See Ch 15 in '211. You can view it for free online.
    HTH