Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New NEC 2020 change

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    I would be very leery of a pull-out type disconnect at anything over maybe 30-40 amps. Picture the arc-flash of pulling one out slowly with a 100-200 amp load? <g>

Disconnects of any size generally have an over-center action and strong springs to actually snatch the contacts open quickly. Pull-outs would always be subject to the slowness of the person operating them. And they could stick part way out - that might get exciting. <g>

PHM
    --------
    I hear ya, but in the case outlined above, little chance of arc flash with blown fuses.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    I'm with you. I actually go a good bit further with the concept - I wait to eventually fall out.

Quote Originally Posted by kangaroogod View Post
    I for 1 am not a big fan of pulling out

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of Thinking

3. Likes 270wsm liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I'm with you. I actually go a good bit further with the concept - I wait to eventually fall out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bythenumbers View Post
    ... yet we don't have to install an outlet near the electrical panel, nor a light. You would think electrical code would help electrician more than HVAC guys!

Yes, I am joking (mostly )
    I hope you were joking. NEC 110.26(D) Illumination. Illumination SHALL be provided for all working spaces about service equipment, switchboards, panelboards or motor control centers installed indoors.

Post Likes
    The next time they rework this NEC thing - see if you can push for a rule stating:

Intelligence and Understanding SHALL be provided for all working space about service equipment, switchboards, panel boards, or motor control centers installed indoors.

That would be a nice addition.

PHM
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Benkovitz View Post
    I hope you were joking. NEC 110.26(D) Illumination. Illumination SHALL be provided for all working spaces about service equipment, switchboards, panelboards or motor control centers installed indoors.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of Thinking

Post Likes
    The next time they rework this NEC thing - see if you can push for a rule stating:

Intelligence and Understanding SHALL be provided for all working space about service equipment, switchboards, panel boards, or motor control centers installed indoors.

That would be a nice addition.

PHM
    --------
    The NEC requires minimum space for service equipment and other electrical devices. Generally this is not followed in residential because of available space/laziness.
    "Intelligence and Understanding" is the same as "Common sense" since the latter no longer exists neither does the former.
    I refer to it as uncommon sense.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12