Thread: Aprilaire 800

Post Likes

Aprilaire 800

Quote Originally Posted by Tap2 View Post
    Thought this was interesting. Anyone else ever run into this?

Attachment 548811
    This just happened to me early Thanksgiving morning- almost set the house on fire. I caught it just in time. Why did this happen and what is Aprilaire doing about it?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tap2 View Post
    Thought this was interesting. Anyone else ever run into this?

Attachment 548811
    This just happened to me early Thanksgiving morning- almost set the house on fire. I caught it just in time. Why did this happen and what is Aprilaire doing about it?

Name:  IMG_0794.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  2.04 MBName:  IMG_0795.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  1.58 MBName:  IMG_0796.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  1.95 MB

Post Likes
    Do/did you replace the canister annually like your suppose to.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    Yes I changed the canister at the end of March. I have had the unit for 6 years and maintained it diligently every season. I live in Denver Colorado so humidity is important.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by fkoester View Post
    Yes I changed the canister at the end of March. I have had the unit for 6 years and maintained it diligently every season. I live in Denver Colorado so humidity is important.
    Good, and was it checked for proper operation each time. Amp draw and production rate.
    Contractor locator map

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Good, and was it checked for proper operation each time. Amp draw and production rate.
    I keep the front cover off and a watch to make sure it producing steam. With a 220V setup it doesn't take long. I then can monitor the steam production by looking at the Humidity level on the thermostat.
    The real question here is why did this happen and what is Aprilaire doing about it. It SHOULD NEVER CATCH ON FIRE!!!!

Post Likes
    The real question here is why did this happen and what is Aprilaire doing about it. It SHOULD NEVER CATCH ON FIRE!!!!
    We are not Aprilaire and can not answer your question. You may want to contact them directly. No, it shouldn't catch on fire. Maybe call in a local contractor to analyze it.

Post Likes
    I keep the front cover off and a watch to make sure it producing steam. With a 220V setup it doesn't take long. I then can monitor the steam production by looking at the Humidity level on the thermostat.
    Its not a common occurrence, so eliminating errors or neglect is the first step. Next, have you even contacted Aprilaire about this.
    Contractor locator map

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Its not a common occurrence, so eliminating errors or neglect is the first step. Next, have you even contacted Aprilaire about this.
    Yes I have contacted them- they wanted to see the pictures, which I have sent. And Yes I know you are not Aprilaire, but this community should know that there is a problem here.
    I had my local HVAC technician inspect the adjacent systems- Heater and AIR conditioner or any colleterial damage. He said he had installed hundreds of these systems and never saw anything like this.
    If this happen to you- you would be upset too.

Post Likes
    Its not a common thing. With you, only twice is anything on this board about it, and as you saw, the other one was 5 years ago.

So wait until Aprilaire gets back to you.
    Contractor locator map

Post Likes
    Yes I have contacted them- they wanted to see the pictures, which I have sent. And Yes I know you are not Aprilaire, but this community should know that there is a problem here.
    I had my local HVAC technician inspect the adjacent systems- Heater and AIR conditioner or any colleterial damage. He said he had installed hundreds of these systems and never saw anything like this.
    Sorry but we can't help that you are upset and admittedly I would be also. But, think about what your HVAC guys said... he had installed hundreds.

There must have been a wire short of some sort for this type of heat. Could have been any of your home 240v connection. Remember you said it doesn't take long for it to create steam? Think how long a resistance short would take to heat up. Actually... a heating element is two legs of power with resistance in between the two legs... a loose wire connection from your home power could create this mess.

I and we hope you find your answer, truly, but not sure how we can help. Good that you are talking to AA direct.

Post Likes
    I'm sure bypassing the safety switch won't help your case. the unit is not supposed to run with out the cover on. can't imagine how that would affect it.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Post Likes
    My wife has one in her Yoga studio, works like a dream, probably a loose wiring connection. I have never seen anything like that, I have been selling Aprilaire for 40 years.

Post Likes
    you gotta wonder what amp the breaker is and why it did not trip.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DOGBOY View Post
    you gotta wonder what amp the breaker is and why it did not trip.
    X2.

That also looks like 14/2 Romex. The installation manual calls for a 20 amp breaker for the 11.5A setting and a 25 amp breaker for the 16.0A setting. That would require number 12 copper wire for the 20 Amp breaker and likely number 10 copper wire for the 25 amp breaker.

Looks like there are some installation errors in the picture.

Edit...ok just realized OP is posting pictures of a unit that is not his as well as his unit.

Second set of photos has the LV wire running in the same connector and KO as the high voltage. Big no no and sloppy. Wonder what other corners were cut.
    Last edited by BALloyd; 12-01-2020 at 11:21 PM.

Post Likes
    Interesting. Never had that happen.
    I guess let us know what aprilaire says.

Post Likes
    How many faulty brakes did car manufacturers have before they did anything?