Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Negative velocity values during traverse

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Artrose View Post
    This is why some form of mentorship, or apprenticeship, is so vitally important for this work. You can buy em books and send em to school, and they come back with lots of big words and and theory, but no practical experience.
    JCI does this to their Technicians. They send them to school for a week, then expect them to be experts when they hit the jobsite the next week. If you don't already know the material before you attend the class, you're screwed. I've been there multiple times myself, and it can be frustrating as hell.

By the way........obviously? I'm still not 100% sure what those numbers were supposed to represent.

Schools can't teach aptitude. I've used my example where I could go shoot hoops every day but still never be any good at it. Same waste of time/effort sending someone w/o the ability or aptitude for mechanics to school or worse to the job.
    Many people that push a pencil don't get this. They also have no aptitude for mechanics so they fail to see the problem.
    We have become accustomed to management loading their tech departments with those lacking not just the skills for the job but also the ability. They should know better because they can't do the job either.
    Book learning is necessary in a tech field but has no guaranty of being able to understand mechanical problems.

A billable warm body seems enough for some managers.
    Give me a relay with big enough contacts, and I'll run the world!

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    The numbers Artrose judging by their magnitude are velocity in feet per minute. The digital meters will make that conversion for you. One reason they do that is to eliminate someone from averaging the velocity pressures and calculating FPM and CFM from that. Some duct systems don't allow a traverse and some traverses work in spots you are convinced will not. You better learn quickly to not trust static pressures even though when doing TAB you are required to take them.
    The aptitude that counts the most doing TAB is how to make the airflow adjustments that will result in a balanced system the quickest. Some guys never learn that.
    No man can be both ignorant and free.
    Thomas Jefferson

3. Likes N2fords liked this post.
    Post Likes
    This is why I wanted to add the in duct mini vane to my lineup.
    Last edited by mgenius33; 10-24-2020 at 09:31 AM.
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12