Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cost of a combustion analysis

Post Likes

Cost of a combustion analysis

What are y’all charging for a combustion analysis?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mazak View Post

Well that depends if I'm doing a DTE with time in paperwork and added bs it's 145.00 if I'm using it to diagnose a problem it gets rolled into whatever repair I'm doing and honestly in that case I don't really itemize it any more than I do my screwdriver

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
    RTB Mechanical
    734-315-0064
    http://rtbmechanical.com

Post Likes
    Do you use it on a typical maintenance? If so, do you charge extra for it?

Post Likes
    We don't really discuss prices here because it can cause problems.

But there is no way I would do that for free during a PM. PMs are already priced low enough as it is. Analyzers are expensive and you've got to make money with your tools.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

Post Likes
    Build it into any service call that will require it. And build it into your PM.
    Anytime you do anything that affects combustion, you better do a combustion analysis. To prove how you left the system. And to tune the appliance for maximum performance and safety. If you were the last one to touch it, and something bad happens, you want to show you were the professional.
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

Post Likes
    I would recommend to have a separate and higher price tag than a maintenance or service call. Although depending on the situation I would be prepared just to do a pm and include it depending. I would talk to the customer or have a good trained dispatcher ready to do so. You may be handling a CO monitor going off that would entail checking numerous pieces of equipment possibly. Multiple units, water heater stove etc which could become quite time consuming. Or you could just be following up on another company which has its ups and downs from a business standpoint. I can see points that everyone has posted as being valid to a point.
    Signature removed Violated rule #15

Post Likes
    Appreciate the input!!

Post Likes
    How much do you charge for using your multimeter.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    You make money by using it. I would be upset with myself if a customer I had maintenanced and serviced and did not use it.
    Signature removed Violated rule #15

Post Likes
    Had a court case once where a home owner died 3 days after a contractor lit his pilot. The contractor offered the home owner a combustion test for an extra fee. He said the home owner said no he doesn't want to spend any extra and would like a bid on a new furnace. A salesman came out the next day to size up the job. Two days later he came back with his bid and the home owner was dead from CO poisoning. The lawsuit was for 3 million dollars. Never did hear if there was also a criminal case and if the tech went to jail.

Forgot to add: What is the cost of not taking a combustion test??
    Last edited by Jim Davis; 10-12-2020 at 10:56 AM. Reason: add
    captain CO

11. Likes pecmsg, BALloyd, kdean1, ga-hvac-tech liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Davis View Post
    Had a court case once where a home owner died 3 days after a contractor lit his pilot. The contractor offered the home owner a combustion test for an extra fee. He said the home owner said no he doesn't want to spend any extra and would like a bid on a new furnace. A salesman came out the next day to size up the job. Two days later he came back with his bid and the home owner was dead from CO poisoning. The lawsuit was for 3 million dollars. Never did hear if there was also a criminal case and if the tech went to jail.

Forgot to add: What is the cost of not taking a combustion test??
    Idk this a slippery slope that raises a lot of questions. I would love to read the court documents pertaining to the case and how it turned out.

I have lots of other comments and thoughts just not the time to put them on paper until later tonight.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jbhenergy View Post
    Idk this a slippery slope that raises a lot of questions. I would love to read the court documents pertaining to the case and how it turned out.

I have lots of other comments and thoughts just not the time to put them on paper until later tonight.

If you have ever seen court documents on cases like these, they are a 1000 pages. And for the record, I was working for the lawyer of the contractor. It was not the only death case I have been involved where I was trying to help the contractor and minimize the damages and at least prevent criminal charges.
    captain CO

Post Likes
    Anytime I service a unit i use my Testo 300. As a service technician I am responsible for the safe operation of the system. I can't assure safe operation without combustion analysis. Gotta make sure that the system isn't producing high CO. Theres no way of doing this without using the proper tools.
    It only takes a few minutes, why charge extra to do the job correctly?

15. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Totally agree with many commenters here. There is no extra charge for using the combustion analyzer, it’s just part of the job. Raise your regular rates if you need the money to buy and maintain the proper tools.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Davis View Post
    If you have ever seen court documents on cases like these, they are a 1000 pages. And for the record, I was working for the lawyer of the contractor. It was not the only death case I have been involved where I was trying to help the contractor and minimize the damages and at least prevent criminal charges.
    Locally
    https://www.nytimes.com/1994/09/20/o...star-dies.html

Post Likes
    It's just the cost of doing business I don't make the customer pay anything for it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mazak View Post

So how long does it take to do?

Start there, in your area of the country, are your competitors doing a CA every time?
    Philippians 4:13
    I can do all things in him that strengthen me.
    Apostle Paul inspired by GOD.

Post Likes
    It take about ten minutes to test a furnace with a combustion analyzer correctly. You find out if its venting properly, if there is enough combustion air, if the burners are aligned properly, if the burner are clean and oh yeah, is it making to much CO! If there is a water heater next to it, another 5 - 10 minutes to see if it is safe and even if it is scaled up.
    captain CO

Post Likes
    How do you know what the readings are supposed to be? Does the analyzer give you ranges or sound alarms when the numbers arent right?

Post Likes
    As you test more equipment you will see what normal readings are supposed to be. Most important thing is to make sure that the unit is not producing high CO! 50+ PPM on ignition is not unusual, but most equipment should run clean after combustion stabilizes. Also always make sure that forced air equipment doesn't show a rise in O2% after the fan comes on.
    Some manufacturers state what O2% or CO2% they want during operation in the installation instructions.
    There's no excuse for not doing a proper combustion analysis during commissioning and servicing of fuel burning systems. The customer is paying you to assure safe, reliable and efficient operation of the system. Safety cannot be determined without combustion analysis!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast