+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First custom made kitchen exhaust hood

Post Likes
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R600a is online now Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    That is really cool. It looks like it would be way quieter than the cheap jet engine i have in my kitchen.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

3. Likes heatingman liked this post.
    Post Likes
    nice job i like it

5. Likes heatingman liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I like it, it looks great. I do think that copper would have looked awesome but the shiny tin doesn't look bad.

7. Likes heatingman liked this post.
    Post Likes
    it sure would but his costs would go sky high for pure copper panels

Post Likes
    The hood looks great!! Did you calculate the performance of the hood? If you did it would be good if you posted the calcs. I know that can be done with enough experience but some of the newbees could benefit from how things like this originated.
    No man can be both ignorant and free.
    Thomas Jefferson

... sitting in the Hollywood Hawaiian Hotel, listening to the air conditioner hum
    Post Likes
    Is that fan and flex duct approved for use as a kitchen exhaust?

The great professors of the art are not immune from the malignancy of matter and the eternal cussedness of inanimate objects.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CHAINIK View Post
    Is that fan and flex duct approved for use as a kitchen exhaust?
    Theres only about 4” total of flex duct, and really only about 1/2” exposed to air stream the for vibration mitigation. Its really more like a flex coupling at the inlet to the fan. The rest is hard piped and insulated by the insulation from the flex duct, cause I did not want to buy sleeve insulation separately.

The fan is a Tjerland M-6 and was listed for both kitchen and general exhaust.

12. Likes CHAINIK liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by WAYNE3298 View Post
    The hood looks great!! Did you calculate the performance of the hood? If you did it would be good if you posted the calcs. I know that can be done with enough experience but some of the newbees could benefit from how things like this originated.
    Thanks. I have not yet tested the hood flow.

At this point I probably wont cause I dont want to put any holes in the ductwork. And Ive yet to figure out the Shortridge vel-grid.

My test for performance will be when we start using it for cooking. Im still working on the house before I move in.

I tried dorking around with that a while ago and the tool itself seems needlessly complicated to operate. Not intuitive at all. And naturally there is no manual in the case. I did get one emailed, but Ive yet to review it.

Post Likes
    Heatingman if you want to test the airflow the best way is pitot traverse. For small ducts I used a 12" pitot tube and instead of drilling holes in the duct used self tapping screws. The vel-grid requires a pitot traverse correction factor for every use except filter airflow anyway. If you need help with the Shortridge give me a call I might be able to help.

Are you building the house or remodeling?
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes

First custom made kitchen exhaust hood

Extensive interior remodeling. Relocated bathroom, relocated laundry room, reconfigured the kitchen with new cabinets that I essentially made, added a door, swapped different sized window locations, complete plumbing rework. Plus all the tile work, and reworking a hundred year old dresser to a bath vanity with a custom sink I made and had powder coated. Ive been at it over a year. Getting pretty close to move in ready, but working on some of the final must be dones. There will be work left after the move in, like some of the trim work and painting. Id like to be totally done, but the whole 2 mortgage thing is really starting to wear on me financially.

Post Likes
    Wayne, what pitot fits a self taping hole?

In my mind, a self tapper is 5/16 head, maybe 1/8” hole.

My pitot is closer to 1/2 diameter if I had to guess.

Post Likes
    That's a lot of work heatingman and it does take time but it is satisfying when finished and the way you want it. I wish I was close to you so I could help. I remodeled 3 houses and built 3.

When I did TAB I bought the standard Shortridge kit with the 27" pitot tube (I think) but also bought 12', 36" and 60" tubes. For resi work you really need the 12" because it fits through a 3/16" hole and is short enough to go into pretty tight places. I think it came from Shortridge but that was a long time ago.
    I checked and the Tube is 1/8" dia.
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by WAYNE3298 View Post
    That's a lot of work heatingman and it does take time but it is satisfying when finished and the way you want it. I wish I was close to you so I could help. I remodeled 3 houses and built 3.

When I did TAB I bought the standard Shortridge kit with the 27" pitot tube (I think) but also bought 12', 36" and 60" tubes. For resi work you really need the 12" because it fits through a 3/16" hole and is short enough to go into pretty tight places. I think it came from Shortridge but that was a long time ago.
    I checked and the Tube is 1/8" dia.
    I appreciate the wishful offer. This is the second house Ive extensively remodeled. The first one is the home Im living in now which is also the first house I bought, about 14 years ago. The plan was to fix and flip. That did not work out, took me 7 years to remodel while living in it. Did not want to go through that again, so thats why Im doing this one ahead of time.

Ill take a look at one of my pitots for the diameter.

I imagine its right around 350 cfm, possibly 400, pending how restrictive the roof jack is. Wont really know unless I measure it though. My goal was to double the exhaust capacity of a combination microwave/hood. Pretty certain Ive accomplished that and then some.

19. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    If you have 2000 FPM in your duct that will do a good job with smoke. I don't think you will have a problem. I mentioned testing the hood because I would have been curious no matter how sure I was it would work. Your design is good right down to the flanges at the bottom of the hood. You probably have 3500 to 4000 FPM in the duct.
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    Happy to report, the hood design has worked quite well.

Never bothered measuring the flow, but all the smoke gets sucked out.

Even when doing something very smokey, like baking an oil coating onto cast iron pans.

Very pleased with the performance after living with it full time for about a year now.

R600a is online now Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by heatingman View Post
    Happy to report, the hood design has worked quite well.

Never bothered measuring the flow, but all the smoke gets sucked out.

Even when doing something very smokey, like baking an oil coating onto cast iron pans.

Very pleased with the performance after living with it full time for about a year now.

How loud is it compared to a typical pointless $100 residential hood?
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    How loud is it compared to a typical pointless $100 residential hood?
    Its louder, or maybe about the same I imagine.

24. Likes R600a liked this post.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in