+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need advice on heaters

Post Likes
    is anyone here familiar with an architecture in Europe referred to as Passvhaus where the primary Heating source is referred to as the construction material , then geothermal heatpump and usually combined with solar, Very well insualted home and some incite to components as well to retain heat. I have one place with it a house where the geothermal feeds underfloor manifolds for each zone , I have been there when down in the 40sf outside and people inside none the wiser heat is made in cylinder but not even being used yet, which is almost unheard of in normal house construction. obviously high first cost investment, but rapid payback in energy savings , this system also makes the DHW.
    Keep it simple to keep it cool!

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by stanbyyourword View Post
    is anyone here familiar with an architecture in Europe referred to as Passvhaus where the primary Heating source is referred to as the construction material , then geothermal heatpump and usually combined with solar, Very well insualted home and some incite to components as well to retain heat. I have one place with it a house where the geothermal feeds underfloor manifolds for each zone , I have been there when down in the 40sf outside and people inside none the wiser heat is made in cylinder but not even being used yet, which is almost unheard of in normal house construction. obviously high first cost investment, but rapid payback in energy savings , this system also makes the DHW.

Nothing new, and basically another name, with a couple more whistles, placed on an old concept that's been around for literally decades. They might use solar orientation, radiant mass heat storage, passive ventilation, or a hundred other similar concepts too numerous to list here.

Check out the underground, and berm home craze from the 60's, 70's, and 80's. Granted, there are some pro's, but there are some very serious con's to consider, before anyone would want to jump on this wagon.

Post Likes
    From what I understand the components down to the tiles are selected specially to retain heat

Post Likes
    This book was written many years ago by a fellow that was building one in Missoula MT and needed no aux heat or cooling. Some of the ventilation ideas were quite genius. Would have liked to build on myself! Just never had the opportunity or the spare cash to do so....

https://www.amazon.com/Passive-annua...s%2C232&sr=8-3
    “A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein

Post Likes
    I think Duraflame is much more beter than the other one. so If I was you, I would select a model from Duraflame

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Unlimited1 View Post
    I wear wool blend thermals and hat with a Columbia Omni Heat reflective gear. I’m mainly sweating my arse off when moving around at a-20 wind chill..
    https://www.columbia.com/c/technolog...eatreflective/
    The jackets look nice. Is there a work jacket?

How often do you have -20 wind chill in North Carolina? I didn't expect it to be that cold there.
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kdean1 View Post
    The jackets look nice. Is there a work jacket?

How often do you have -20 wind chill in North Carolina? I didn't expect it to be that cold there.
    Don’t know about a specific work jacket but I use mine as such when it’s that cold...
    I was in Boone NC that day in the mountains, it gets very cold...In the mountains of VA as well..

Post Likes
    I just found in our local museum a pair of (I believe) pilot gloves.
    They are long cuffed such as welding gloves of today.

Dug out some items for school kids in house veteran's day program.

They are very thin leather with liner. There are 2 large snaps at the cuff of each glove.
    Tag inside states 24 volt. The pilot would snap in the leads from the plane power supply.

Not sure of the age, thinking gloves for B-17 pilots (WW 2) as that plane had no heaters and flew up where temps was 30-50 below zero, IIRC. Not pressurized either.

The next generation of B-29's was heated and pressurized. Again IIRC.

Also included my Induction Notice of 1970 and various draft cards......most likely no one will receive these any more. No adults in the high school system have ever seen them either.

Post Likes
    I think you should keep it. In the future, you won't see like that thing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in