Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fan Pullers

Post Likes
    haven't had a reason to buy a different one...
    Philippians 4:13
    I can do all things in him that strengthen me.
    Apostle Paul inspired by GOD.

Post Likes
    Posi-lock is definitely nice, but due to the design they don't have a very wide range(cant think of a better term.) When they do fit they're great, but many of times I've had to resort to a different style puller that I can really swing the the jaws out on, albeit now having to fight them to not have the claws pop off. I just have one size posi-lock that's perfect for most condenser fan motors, but I have other tools for sheaves and bearings.

That ultimate puller thing is cheesy.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by heatingman View Post
    12 points work for square heads.

Never heard of an 8 point socket.

-Just looked it up, apparently it is a thing, but so are 4 point sockets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    8 points are for squarre head fasteners like you see on resi fan blades. Here's a pic of 1/4" and 5/16"
    http://pages.suddenlink.net/bchannell/skt.jpg

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by UmmScott View Post
    Top trade secret...
    Automotive 1/4 and 3/8 socket extensions fit in our service wrenches backwards and are perfect for those tight square fan hub bolts.

I remember when someone first showed me that.
    Blew my mind.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Is there a difference from an Automotive socket extension,and other extensions? I only ask because I tried the 3/8 on a square set screw,and it fit,but loosely. The 1/4 was too small.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC/R 19 View Post
    Is there a difference from an Automotive socket extension,and other extensions? I only ask because I tried the 3/8 on a square set screw,and it fit,but loosely. The 1/4 was too small.
    No there is no difference and yes the 3/8 fits very loosely but it’s good enough
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

6. Likes HVAC/R 19 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC/R 19 View Post
    could be a 5/16" square head bolt, 8 pt sockets have been around forever, it's good to have a full set, they work on pipe plugs too.
    " The more I learn the more I realize how much I don't know"

8. Likes JayMan7 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I took two el cheapo sockets (7/16) and welded them back to back. One side fits the ratchet wrench and the other a 3/8 extension. I also did this for 1/4 inch sockets with a 1/4 inch extension. I also have a cheap Sears 8 point socket set.
    Doug

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    I took two el cheapo sockets (7/16) and welded them back to back. One side fits the ratchet wrench and the other a 3/8 extension. I also did this for 1/4 inch sockets with a 1/4 inch extension. I also have a cheap Sears 8 point socket set.
    Nice! I keep a bin of junk sockets just for making stuff like that lol.

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

Post Likes
    No matter what puller you use, its always best to prep the parts. Clean the shaft, lubricate with some type of penetrating oil, then go nuts.

On stuff is particularly difficult, try rotating the hub on the shaft, also jarring action works well.

Apply pulling force with the puller, then hammer the drive screw head. Then turn the screw a bit more, then hammer again. Rinse and repeat.

The posi-lock is a good puller. I have several sizes, and have had my first one for almost 20 years. Believe it or not I bought it at Sears off the shelf.

after rinsing and repeating , throw the damn thing in the trash and go buy a new fan blade because you now have a piece of $hit and you wasted two damn hours .

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Warren Jr View Post
    after rinsing and repeating , throw the damn thing in the trash and go buy a new fan blade because you now have a piece of $hit and you wasted two damn hours .
    Sure. For something small and available.

I routinely work on large or obsolete equipment, or parts of high value.

Such as a pump impeller that costs over 1500 and is several weeks out.

So do what you want. But yeah.. a standard resi something or another may not be worth the time.

But particularly even after hours the need will arise. And rarely met a fan blade or wheel for fractional HP service that takes more then 15 minutes to remove, typically less then 5.

13. Likes Gary Warren Jr, JayMan7, UmmScott liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Sure. For something small and available.

I routinely work on large or obsolete equipment, or parts of high value.

Such as a pump impeller that costs over 1500 and is several weeks out.

So do what you want. But yeah.. a standard resi something or another may not be worth the time.

But particularly even after hours the need will arise. And rarely met a fan blade or wheel for fractional HP service that takes more then 15 minutes to remove, typically less then 5.

My apologies , this thread brought on flashbacks.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Warren Jr View Post
    My apologies , this thread brought on flashbacks.
    funny how pullers and cursing basically go together. Despite that a posilock pretty much always wins the battle!

16. Likes Gary Warren Jr, UmmScott liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I agree with both opinions. Gotta do what's best for the customer.

A 1 blade small refrigeration unit or AC unit yeah u might be stuck dealing with pulling that blade off because you have to.

Where as a rack refrigeration system with a condenser with 8 fans, yeah I just order a blade and motor and pull the whole thing straight out. Then replace both.
    Time saving and you really really dont want unbalanced fan blades on a rack condenser...believe me.

18. Likes Gary Warren Jr, JayMan7 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Posilock are sweet
    Visit our website at www.airconcomfortcooling.com

Post Likes
    I know I will get kicked right off this site for saying this, "Harbor Freight"

their 5 and 10 ton hydraulic pullers are obviously inexpensive, but have pulled my a$$ out of a jam MANY times on bigger stuff where I needed much wider jaws to grab something larger that my Posilocks were able to do.

https://www.harborfreight.com/5-ton-...ic+gear+puller
    https://www.harborfreight.com/10-ton...ler-64982.html

Grainger's PROTO line of pullers have all types and variations. My extensive puller arsenal grew and grew as different situations popped up and things got bigger and bigger, from the residential days of old to the commercial and industrial I deal with now. I learned from BBeerme, and started constructing a lot of my own.

21. Likes UmmScott liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by slctech View Post
    I know I will get kicked right off this site for saying this, "Harbor Freight"

their 5 and 10 ton hydraulic pullers are obviously inexpensive, but have pulled my a$$ out of a jam MANY times on bigger stuff where I needed much wider jaws to grab something larger that my Posilocks were able to do.

https://www.harborfreight.com/5-ton-...ic+gear+puller
    https://www.harborfreight.com/10-ton...ler-64982.html

Grainger's PROTO line of pullers have all types and variations. My extensive puller arsenal grew and grew as different situations popped up and things got bigger and bigger, from the residential days of old to the commercial and industrial I deal with now. I learned from BBeerme, and started constructing a lot of my own.
    I tried a posilock on an AAON condenser fan and it didn't work well..just bent the hub up of the fan.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by UmmScott View Post
    I tried a posilock on an AAON condenser fan and it didn't work well..just bent the hub up of the fan.

You need a hub puller for pulling hubs.

The jaws are for sturdy objects like pulleys.

There are adaptors for jaw pullers to such as the ones in the attached

https://www.amazon.com/Posi-Lock-HP-.../dp/B00207T6EM

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12