Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Truck got robbed!!

Post Likes

Truck got robbed!!

While working late at a apartment complex some junkies managed to get away with my tool bags and a lot of stuff off my truck. I was within 30 feet of my truck but to busy working to realize what happened. My question for the forum is, has anybody else filled a insurance claim on stolen property and if so how much more did your premium go up? My insurance company is telling me that if I spend $600 on tools or the full $10,000 that I’m covered for, my rates will increase the same regardless and I find this hard to be true. I had all the name brands come up missing Yellow Jacket, Snap-on, Klein, Fluke, and the rest of them expensive names. Tools I’ve been collecting and buying for over 10 years now. I will say that I managed to get back most of my tools (without the help from authorities) but I still lack around $1,500 in missing equipment. Is that justifiable for making this claim? Just looking for some advice from fellow contractors. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    They judge you on claims not dollar amount 1500 I probably wouldn't file but I keep a 1k deductible

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
    RTB Mechanical
    734-315-0064
    http://rtbmechanical.com

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dkalasz View Post
    They judge you on claims not dollar amount 1500 I probably wouldn't file but I keep a 1k deductible

My deductible is $500 so it wouldn’t be hard to meet that but I figured the insurance company wants me to spend as much as I can so they can milk it out of me over time.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by UrAverageAguy View Post
    My deductible is $500 so it wouldn’t be hard to meet that but I figured the insurance company wants me to spend as much as I can so they can milk it out of me over time.

They will I have no love of insurance

RTB Mechanical
    734-315-0064
    http://rtbmechanical.com

5. Likes drizler liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dkalasz View Post
    They will I have no love of insurance

Do you share your love with home warranty companies instead? Hahaha their all a scam in my mind

7. Likes ga-hvac-tech liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by UrAverageAguy View Post
    Do you share your love with home warranty companies instead? Hahaha their all a scam in my mind

I'm pretty sure the first insurance company was the Italian mafia. You pay them so they don't break all your windows and possibly your kneecaps. Now they figured out how to get the governments to make you pay them and then if somebody breaks all your windows or your kneecaps they'll charge you extra.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Sucks to be stolen from. 1am one night guy broke out my rear window in my driveway. Got a few of the larger items (nitro-vacuum-sawzall) before my neighbor opened their front door and he bolted in his truck. She knocks on my door so I survey the damage, break out the broom to pickup the glass. I hear sirens not far away. Crook was casing HVAC vehicles and 4 blocks away broke another truck's window. Owner came out his front porch with a pistol and shot him dead. I didn't connect the dots at the time but the following day on the evening news a picture of his truck he crashed while bleeding out - there was my stuff on the TV. Picked it all up after a couple weeks impound.

10. Likes ga-hvac-tech, lrussell, mofotech liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Talk to your insurance agent:

"Inland Marine Insurance"

Pays for the contents of the van...

Cost is quite reasonable... you can adjust the amount of coverage...
    I would not run the company without it!!!
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gbfromsd View Post
    Sucks to be stolen from. 1am one night guy broke out my rear window in my driveway. Got a few of the larger items (nitro-vacuum-sawzall) before my neighbor opened their front door and he bolted in his truck. She knocks on my door so I survey the damage, break out the broom to pickup the glass. I hear sirens not far away. Crook was casing HVAC vehicles and 4 blocks away broke another truck's window. Owner came out his front porch with a pistol and shot him dead. I didn't connect the dots at the time but the following day on the evening news a picture of his truck he crashed while bleeding out - there was my stuff on the TV. Picked it all up after a couple weeks impound.
    I recently decided to drive my non- work truck to the parts house to pick up a 460v motor for a job the next day. Anyways, i left that motor on the passenger seat overnight and when i came out next morning. The window of the truck is smashed and the motor gone. I now have a floodlight camera watching my stuff. So far it's thwarted one thief away from my van that sits in my driveway. It has a motion activated spotlight light and a siren. Sends alerts to your phone when someone is at your house too. My truck sits in the street as you can see.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by KB Cool View Post
    I recently decided to drive my non- work truck to the parts house to pick up a 460v motor for a job the next day. Anyways, i left that motor on the passenger seat overnight and when i came out next morning. The window of the truck is smashed and the motor gone. I now have a floodlight camera watching my stuff. So far it's thwarted one thief away from my van that sits in my driveway. It has a motion activated spotlight light and a siren. Sends alerts to your phone when someone is at your house too. My truck sits in the street as you can see.
    Now that’s the way to do it! That’s one very smart way to address these issues . It’s a sad statement on the country that a certain faction refuses to let police do their jobs properly. Then when by some luck they do catch them the courts either let them go or give them the slap on the wrist. It’s disgusting to say the least.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I was robbed in 97 and still think about it. About 3K. My insurance only covered it under my home owners to the amount of 10%. A whopping $300.
    I learned to park as close to the job as reasonable. I used to park a distance away to have room to access ladders etc. No more.
    Also only carry tools I know I'll need and stow the expensive and little used stuff at home or shop.
    The insurance was more than willing to sell me better coverage for $$.

A problem with signage on trucks is it's like a flashing sign that there are tools on board. Tools are easy to pawn even if they are ID'ed. Thing is you can't prove the thief doesn't have legal possession. You've heard possession is 9/10 of the law. That's what it means. It prevents someone buying something and then the original owner claiming the stuff was stolen so a thief get away with it.
    Give me a relay with big enough contacts, and I'll run the world!

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    I was robbed in 97 and still think about it. About 3K. My insurance only covered it under my home owners to the amount of 10%. A whopping $300.
    I learned to park as close to the job as reasonable. I used to park a distance away to have room to access ladders etc. No more.
    Also only carry tools I know I'll need and stow the expensive and little used stuff at home or shop.
    The insurance was more than willing to sell me better coverage for $$.

A problem with signage on trucks is it's like a flashing sign that there are tools on board. Tools are easy to pawn even if they are ID'ed. Thing is you can't prove the thief doesn't have legal possession. You've heard possession is 9/10 of the law. That's what it means. It prevents someone buying something and then the original owner claiming the stuff was stolen so a thief get away with it.
    Yeah, all of my vehicles I’ve owned have never had advertisement or any logos on the side but I do keep everything on the truck except for the big items that don’t get used as much. When the cops got to the scene that night he told me to “write down a detailed list of everything including serial numbers” and I asked him how many pairs of pliers does he have that have serial numbers on them. Needless to say I wasn’t in the mood to be dealing with dumb questions and basically knew that I wasn’t getting anything back. Tough lesson to learn even when I thought I was being cautious enough over the years not leaving the truck open and out of sight

Post Likes
    When I've had work at secure places like the National Labs, they require permanent signage on trucks but they have allowed magnate signs on my van. It might have been overlooked or thought the sign was painted.
    Even after all these years after 911, security is still robust.

I would think that a home break-in would take a long time to get over if ever. What are y'all doing for home security if anything? I don't mean lots of guns because that might be what the thief is after.
    Give me a relay with big enough contacts, and I'll run the world!

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    When I've had work at secure places like the National Labs, they require permanent signage on trucks but they have allowed magnate signs on my van. It might have been overlooked or thought the sign was painted.

I would think that a home break-in would take a long time to get over if ever. What are y'all doing for home security if anything? I don't mean lots of guns because that might be what the thief is after.
    This is overkill...

I have a multi-dozen camera system around my property and inside my home...
    ALL the cameras are night vision and color... they are commercial grade security equipment.

I casually make reference to 'smile for the camera'... so folks that visit me...
    Know the system is there.

No thefts since long before it was installed.

And no... I do not monitor it online...
    The LAST thing I want... is for someone to hack into my feed online.

Side note: part of the reason for the system: I have a pool... if someone gets hurt... I want a record of what and how it happened!
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    Our entire fleet got hit a few years ago. They go all of the expensive tools. All the Hilti tools, coring bits, recovery machines, vacuum pumps, scales, rigid power theading tools/dies and tripods, Milwaukee cutoff saws, sawzalls, hole hawgs and micron gauges. They smashed in all the truck windshields/windows and punched all the locks on the service bodies. They got over 35k in tools... The lot Cameras were useless because it was at night and resolution was poor of the two thieves wearing hoodies.

The morons also tried to set the truck on fire by putting rags in the gas fill ports or should I say diesel tanks.

I guess someone was start their own HVAC company.

Post Likes
    I am moving and I put my weed eater and blower in the locked shed and of course they got stolen so I am out $700 I am just thankful it wasn't my heat and air conditioning tools.
    Looks like I will be buying cameras.

Post Likes
    How many guys have cameras on the van? I've been thinking about getting some like otr trucks are outfitted with. The cost seems really reasonable for a visual record of what the jackwagons around you are doing on the highway. Could double as security system.

21. Likes ga-hvac-tech liked this post.
    Post Likes
    oh man, so sorry to hear this. Hope you'll find the b@stards!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Makeitcold View Post
    How many guys have cameras on the van? I've been thinking about getting some like otr trucks are outfitted with. The cost seems really reasonable for a visual record of what the jackwagons around you are doing on the highway. Could double as security system.
    Good idea.

Post Likes

In New Jersey commercially registered/Insured vehicles “shall have conspicuously displayed thereon“.

Sometimes I wish I didn’t have any signs on my vehicle. I do get away with parking where I shouldn’t because I have the signs/lettering.

I got a ticket driving a SUV with commercial plates because it didn’t have any lettering on it. This township is also a PIA. They will pull people over for any violation they can find to fill their coffers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast