+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Condenser fan motor FLA

Post Likes

Condenser fan motor FLA

Hello all, thanks for taking the time to read this.

I have a Payne PH13NB024-A heat pump and I believe the condenser fan motor is going. I've started looking for replacement motors and I have a question about the motor's FLA. My condenser unit has a label with fan specs they are as follows: 208/230 volts AC 1 PH 1/10 HP 60 HZ 0.77 FLA. I've found a site that has replacement fan motors the closest I've found is a motor with the specs 208/230 volts ac 1 PH 1/10 HP 60 HZ 0.75 FLA 1100 rpms. According to the parts website this will work with my condenser unit. I'm looking for a drop in replacement and I'm wondering if this will do the trick even though they have different fla ratings. Also there are a few different motors all with those specs but very different prices, one motor is 143 dollars and one of the other motors is 223. What would account for the price disparity, sleeve versus ball bearing?

Thanks

Post Likes
    What makes you think the fan motor is going? Are the bearings loose?
    Seems like diy. Here is a hint. If the shaft spins well by hand and isn't loose, and the motor isn't burnt and crispy on the outside chances are your motor is perfectly fine and your lack of speed or other noises have a different cause.
    As far as difference in pricing it could be a different manufacturer of the motor.
    And one more hint. Unless you truly understand what you are doing stick to exact OEM parts.
    Installation of aftermarket rescue type stuff is only good if you understand how to make something with a different spec work

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Restaurant mech View Post
    What makes you think the fan motor is going? Are the bearings loose?
    Seems like diy. Here is a hint. If the shaft spins well by hand and isn't loose, and the motor isn't burnt and crispy on the outside chances are your motor is perfectly fine and your lack of speed or other noises have a different cause.
    As far as difference in pricing it could be a different manufacturer of the motor.
    And one more hint. Unless you truly understand what you are doing stick to exact OEM parts.
    Installation of aftermarket rescue type stuff is only good if you understand how to make something with a different spec work

The housing isn't crispy, nothing is loose as far as I can tell. When I turn the blades by hand they spin fine and when it does run it doesn't make any strange sounds. The reason I think the motor is going is because the condenser makes a loud humming noise then it clicks off like usual then when the noise stops and the fan should start running sometimes nothing happens. When it hasn't started if I knock on the grill (I'm not pounding on the unit just knocking like you would on a door) a few times where the fan is mounted it'll usually start. Also it seems like when the fan should be running and it isn't the acorn nuts that mount the fan to the grill get almost to hot to touch. And I check those motors, both are made by genteq

Post Likes
    Update.

Just went downstairs to check the thermostat. Thermostat was set for 72 degrees downstairs room temp was 76. I went outside to check the condenser it wasn't running. Touched the acorn nuts that mount the fan to the top grill the nuts were to hot to touch for more than a few seconds. Knocked on the grill repeatedly where the motor is and it started.

Post Likes
    If you were a pro you'd know to check the basic maintenance items causing your symptoms.

Post Likes
    Sounds like the capacitor.

Post Likes
    Capacitor.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in