Thread: Best solution for copper in the truck?

Post Likes

Best solution for copper in the truck?

Just wondering how everyone goes about storing soft copper rolls on the truck. Lately I’ve been using one of the cardboard boxes that the 7/8 rolls come in, and it at least keeps it contained and doesn’t rattle but still a pain, there must be a better way

Post Likes
    I have a single cab truck so I store mine behind the seat with a couple of sticks of armaflex to dampen the rattle.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk

Post Likes
    wrap bunji cords around it to reduce rattle , hang on wall to take up less space

4. Likes dieseldude, Red Man, YOUNG FROSTY liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I hang mine with a bungee cord in the back of the truck.I hook the cord to the shelves.

6. Likes YOUNG FROSTY liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Copper Caddy looks cool but I don't use much tubbing or do installs anymore.

Post Likes
    As a service tech I see no reason to keep rolls of copper. I've only kept short pieces, hard drawn if possible, 2-3 ft of each size. If you're gonna do an install get a roll then. Otherwise it just beats itself up, gettin dirty, and rattling yer mind as you go down the road. Keep the space of your service truck utilized as best fits your needs, and if you do alot of installs mixed in with your day ya probably need to live with the rattle.

Post Likes
    I don't keep rolls of soft copper I do have a some various sizes of short pieces, for repairs.

Post Likes
    I carry rolls of ¼”, 5/16”, ⅜”, ½”, and ⅝” on the truck. They are all in cardboard boxes, stored vertically between the bulkhead and the shelving. No rattle, and no damage.
    If God didn't want us to eat animals... He wouldn't have made them out of MEAT.

Post Likes
    Every one carries different things in their trucks. I don't do very much resi work anymore. I don't try to keep one or some of everything in the truck. Carrying stuff in the truck every day that is not used very much just causes damage to it. I found I'm in and out of the shop several times a day or close to one of the supply houses and pick up what I need.

Post Likes
    Bungee cord on the side door. I usually only keep 10’ of each size at a time.
    Everything I’m going to say today are my conclusions and my opinions, my opinions are based on my education, my training, my experience. Different people have different experiences, so they have different opinions and I make no claim that my opinion has its origin in the mind greatness. - Paul Harrell

Post Likes
    I have my 2 rolls of each(1 working roll, 1 backup roll) 1/4,5/16,3/8,1/2,5/8,3/4 & 7/8,standing vertical and held in place by bungee cords, No noise,no damage!

Post Likes
    We do mostly resi work...

I have found... for service I rarely need more than a scrap... so I have lots of scraps... most are a foot or less in length.

When we do an install... we take the roll of lineset with us.

Fittings: I have one of those tool bags (this one, I think, is either Milwaukee or Husky, it is red/black)... size is 15", it has lots of quart freezer bags with various sizes of fittings.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    I carried rolls and it drove me insane with the rattles, it falling over and making everything hard to get out- and so on. So I started cutting off 10' pieces and putting on the roof in the pvc tube (6" tube) 10' long. Now I have what I need for repairs- compressor installs etc- and dont have to mess with rolls banging around. If you really think about it- unless you are doing installs and (would have it on site anyway)- you only need a piece here and there. If I am going to do mini split repairs or install- I will put a roll of the sizes for those mini splits--(just for that day) in the truck. then take them out at night. I have had situations where the install only called for 5-6 feet of copper tubing. I flare it- and braze end next to indoor unit. That way I don't have to cut the lineset that came with mini split. THats just me though- I have done it that way for 20 yrs. I have my hydraulic expander and ratchet bender- but still prefer to use fittings- for sharp bends--so I keep a parts organizer (milwaukee packout) full of various sized fittings. They are a godsend. good luck.