Thread: Mini split outdoor unit perpendicular to house?

Post Likes

Mini split outdoor unit perpendicular to house?

Im working with an HVAC contractor to get a mini split system installed, and Id appreciate a second opinion on the outdoor unit placement.

Our house is a narrow rowhouse with privacy fences on either side of the backyard.

Is there any reason not to install the outside unit (a double-height Mitsubishi MXZ-8C48NA) perpendicular to the house, as in the attached sketch?

The contractor says hes only ever installed them parallel to the house, but Id like to put it alongside the fence to preserve as much space on our patio as possible. (Both configurations conform to Mitsubishis clearance requirements, and both would have the unit about 3 away from the house.)

Name:  2519F6DE-AD85-4C1A-B8A1-4320A4C2DB59.jpeg
Views: 142
Size:  824.2 KB

Post Likes
    Works for me

Post Likes
    Do you want all that heat blowing on you while on the patio?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Do you want all that heat blowing on you while on the patio?
    Good question. I was under the impression that it doesnt blow too much hot air

If it becomes a problem, I could add an air guide to blow more toward the yard, I guess.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jacob79 View Post
    Good question. I was under the impression that it doesn’t blow too much hot air…

If it becomes a problem, I could add an air guide to blow more toward the yard, I guess.
    Ask for a factory wind baffle to be installed, if one is available. There are requirements on how much clearance you need to discharge air in front of the unit, otherwise you might create an issue.
    Everything Im going to say today are my conclusions and my opinions, my opinions are based on my education, my training, my experience. Different people have different experiences, so they have different opinions and I make no claim that my opinion has its origin in the mind greatness. - Paul Harrell

6. Likes BaldLoonie liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jacob79 View Post
    Good question. I was under the impression that it doesn’t blow too much hot air…

Not if you want the unit to operate. The wind baffle will help that if it is made for that unit.
    Climate Control Solutions for your Home or Office

Serving Northeast Philadelphia and Surrounding Areas