Thread: Suggestions on how to prevent exhausted fume from getting back to the room please

Post Likes

Suggestions on how to prevent exhausted fume from getting back to the room please

Hi, I need some advice. I have an enclosure with a fan which exhausts toxic fume from equipment. As you can see, there is a small sliding window in my room. The problem is that the wind often blows in. It means that when the toxic fume is being exhausted out, they can immediately get back to my room. Could you please advice on what to do to prevent the air from blowing back into the room? Ideally a temporarily solution is good as my enclosure is removable. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Post Likes
    We need a lot more information. What equipment produces in your apartment? What toxin? Why on earth are you doing that?
    More information about the ventilator and the location of the vent would help.
    And again, why use something that makes a toxin IN YOUR HOME??!!
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

Site member map HERE!

Post Likes
    I sure hope you have informed your neighbours when you are venting and what you are venting so they can do what they need to do to stay safe and protect themselves and their children or pets. You have serious liability issues going on if you are secretly venting toxins out of a residential window on a shared building.

This one honestly has me scratching my head wondering what you are possibly thinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quickly, I must hurry, for there go my people and I am their leader!

Post Likes
    Are you seriously asking how to prevent the wind blowing through a window screen while the window is open?
    In honor of RichardL: "Ain't 'None' of us as smart as 'All' of us".

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kdean1 View Post
    We need a lot more information. What equipment produces in your apartment? What toxin? Why on earth are you doing that?
    More information about the ventilator and the location of the vent would help.
    And again, why use something that makes a toxin IN YOUR HOME??!!

3D printer. I did not mention it because some people will just say it has no health risk and they have been sitting in the same room with the printer without any issue. There have been research studies which show that even with PLA, toxic nano-particles are generated. I also know that each person's body reacts differently.

Not sure what you mean by location of the vent.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by plastic_door View Post
    3D printer. I did not mention it because some people will just say it has no health risk and they have been sitting in the same room with the printer without any issue. There have been research studies which show that even with PLA, toxic nano-particles are generated. I also know that each person's body reacts differently.

Not sure what you mean by location of the vent.
    Maybe you should be filtering the exaust with a HEPA filter.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    Maybe you should be filtering the exaust with a HEPA filter.

HEPA filter can only filter some stuffs, not all. The best is to exhaust to open air.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by plastic_door View Post
    HEPA filter can only filter some stuffs, not all. The best is to exhaust to open air.
    I mean filter the exaust so that you are not venting toxic particles.

Post Likes
    fab up some 1/4 plywood, same dimension as your screen, cut a hole, attach your duct. use fastening system like the screen, easy to install/remove as needed.
    I'm not young enough, to know everything...

10. Likes R600a, hvacjackson liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Thanks. From the 2nd and 3rd photo, you can see that there is an empty area between the mesh and the duct-to-wall-mount. How do I prevent the fume from circulating in that area and potentially get back to my room especially when I remove the duct-to-wall-mount?

Post Likes
    I'm not young enough, to know everything...

13. Dislikes plastic_door disliked this post.
    Post Likes
    Yup, agreed.

Post Likes
    Spend the money to do it right. Your best bet is dispersal but you're not going to do that blowing out the window.
    No man can be both ignorant and free.
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    I would follow what dieseldude suggested with plywood, or even better, tape up some plastic sheeting which will be more air tight (although taking it down and putting it up would take more time than plywood).

I would only recommend filtering the exhaust if the neighbor's windows are nearby and there is a risk of re-entrainment. HEPA will remove particles of any size, even nanoparticles. HEPA won't remove gases and vapors though which you will get from 3D printing.