Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing Danfoss TEV

Post Likes

Installing Danfoss TEV

So,I just got this Danfoss TEV,with no decent directions on Brazing in the valve in .Is someone familiar with the installation .Looks like stainless body,Do you use silver(15 percent) Silphos ,or Staybrite?Looks liken the valve can't get too hot.Im usednto also and sporran with copper stubs!!!!

Post Likes
    Copper coated stainless. Use 45% and flux and be gentle with a torch.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

3. Likes BadDaddy420 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    Copper coated stainless. Use 45% and flux and be gentle with a torch.
    X2, disassemble valve just braze in the body, make sure everything is clean, than reassemble.

Post Likes
    Wrapped in wet cloth strips, of course.

Post Likes
    No disassembling the little Danfoss valves . all sealed. they do braise quick

Post Likes
    I don't think this valve comes apart.Its OEM for a Ice O Matic ice machine .I know to use a wet rag and heat trap.can I solder it in with stay Brite/Or should I use 45% silver.What do you guys think is best.I'm used to valves with copper stubs.This Danfoss stuff sucks!!!!!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Gleng View Post
    I don't think this valve comes apart.Its OEM for a Ice O Matic ice machine .I know to use a wet rag and heat trap.can I solder it in with stay Brite/Or should I use 45% silver.What do you guys think is best.I'm used to valves with copper stubs.This Danfoss stuff sucks!!!!!!
    I just installed one with the stainless body for the 1st time about a month ago. I had to go back 2xs due to it leaking on the braze joints. I ended up removing it and installing a brass TXV. It was definitely leaking due to installer error.

Post Likes
    Flanders:Thats what I'm trying to avoid!! I don't like ANYTHING Danfoss makes!!!What kind of solder or braze were you using?I think I will use 45% silver.Use Heat trap and a wet rag,Heat the valve up quickly.Either way, its a crappy set up, why not just use copper stubs,Like everyone else!!!!.

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Honeywell you can buy better but you cant pay more

I told my wife when i die to sell my fishing stuff for what its worth not what i told her i paid for it

12. Likes icemeister, N2fords liked this post.
    Post Likes

Installing Danfoss TEV

Her ya go...

A whole lot of good info as well as how to braze the valve in.

https://youtu.be/YgbY19ktLeg

Happy watching!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BadDaddy420; 07-22-2020 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Burn joints, braze valves 😉

I can't fix it if it won't stay broke..

Post Likes

Installing Danfoss TEV

Flanders:Thats what I'm trying to avoid!! I don't like ANYTHING Danfoss makes!!!What kind of solder or braze were you using?I think I will use 45% silver.Use Heat trap and a wet rag,Heat the valve up quickly.Either way, its a crappy set up, why not just use copper stubs,Like everyone else!!!!.
    The above video explains a lot of why they use stainless.

One note.... the 15% will NOT form a shoulder on the joint seam like copper to copper, don’t try to keep filling it.

TBH, Danfoss valves seem to maintain a steadier superheat that Sporlan and Emerson. Easier to adjust superheat (1 Allen wrench vs 2 adjustable and a valve wrench/packing wrench... and please I hope everyone is loosening the packing on a Sporlan before adjusting and tightening afterwards, right?).

But Sporlan seems more common on heavier refrigeration, Emerson on smaller refrigeration and AC, and Danfoss wherever in between.

But everyone’s experience is different.

Last edited by BadDaddy420; 07-22-2020 at 08:56 AM.

Post Likes
    Th brazing on a Danfoss TUV expansion valve requires a slightly different technique than what we are accustomed to. The key to understanding how to do it is to apply a low flame to the copper first. Lt the copper preheat the stainless without a direct flame. When the copper reaches temperature to flow the 15% silver solder, briefly move the flame to the stainless connection (1-2 seconds max) while applying just a touch of silver solder to the top and bottom of the joint.

Don't overheat the valve connection so much as to burn the stainless steel.
    Don't overdo the silver solder. Just a touch is all that's needed. If the joint looks like it's full, you've applied too much solder,
    Don't use a wet rag. It's not needed and just gets in the way.

Here's a video from Danfoss:

16. Likes rickl, trippintl0, VTP99 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post

Don't overheat the valve connection so much as to burn the stainless steel.
    Don't overdo the silver solder. Just a touch is all that's needed. If the joint looks like it's full, you've applied too much solder,
    Don't use a wet rag. It's not needed and just gets in the way.
    First time I installed one when Manitowoc was first using them, I filled the valve up with 15%.

Never read the directions. 2nd one went in beautifully.

Post Likes
    1st trip was 15%. 2nd trip 45% with flux. 3rd trip I brought a new TXV.

Post Likes
    I had to install a danfoss hot gas valve on a mani a few months back with similar stubs. I was thinking id use staybrite 8 but decided to ask mani tech support. They said just braze with 15%. Went very smoothly. Follow your normal practices to keep valve from heating up to much and just be easy with the torch.

Post Likes
    Danfoss makes great stuff in my opinion.

But I'm biased. Being Danish and all, I feel I'm obligated to install as much Danfoss as I can.

I tried a Danfoss TXV once, didn't go well.... but I didn't know the proper way either, my 2nd or 3rd txv ever.

Post Likes
    To Icemeister; thanks for the Danfoss video.It greatly helped.I installed the valve without any problem.I did use Flux with 45% silver.I know the video says the flux can cause corrosion.But it makes the silver flow better.I cleaned it off well.If the valve leaks from corrosion.I Will be long gone by then!!!!!!

Post Likes
    hey Olivero!!!.Danfoss makes some good stuff.But some stuff also sucks.Try their Low pressure controls.Set it on 5#.it will shut off at 20.Scales are way off.Not with a Penn.Set a penn at 103 it shuts off at 10#.When you buy a brand new Trenton condensing unit with a Danfoss.Thre is a note on the control that says:set this control with a set of gauges, because it is going to be way off!!!!Sorry ,not a Danfoss fan.

Post Likes
    15% no rag

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast