Thread: Opinion on York( YHM36B22S) LX series inverter heatpump + AE36bx21 air handler

Post Likes

Opinion on York( YHM36B22S) LX series inverter heatpump + AE36bx21 air handler

Hello all, would like opinions.. who have installed, serviced this setup. I’ve been in the commercial / industrial / CO2 Réfrigération world for the past 34+ yrs,, last heatpump I installed was a 10 seer Armstrong 2 1/2 T , 15 yrs ago. Lol. looking to replace my old system in a new home.
    Just would like your thoughts....thx

Post Likes
    We’ve installed a handful. They’re very quiet, nice units. Haven’t had any issues with them.

It may not matter to you, but be aware the YHM is actually a 5-stage heat pump whereas the YZV is a true variable-speed heat pump. My opinion: get the YHM and use a Honeywell T10 Pro thermostat with it. The York Hx thermostat, required for the variable speed compressor, is junk.

3. Likes ksefan, Xaviermarle liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Well , The YHM didn't last too long... The first unit i received was out of gas on arrival,, after vacuuming to 400 microns, opened the valves... nothing. The supply house replaced it with another. After start-up, all was running well. ( October 2020) a month ago i noticed my 3/8'' liquid line frosted from the Unit to the expansion valve. Outdoor fan was running, and compressor doing some weird noises. I shut the system off, restarted, all was fine. had an idea that the reversing valve got stuck in the middle. 3 weeks later, saw outdoor fan start, run 7 seconds, and total system shutdown. Heat strips were heating the house. Did a series of tests, compressor not starting. Either the drive is shot or compressor is seized. OHM the winding, .053 ohms on each leg. ( which is to spec) Spoke to York technical advisor, He came over with a new drive board ( BTW, these are over $ cost) After doing tests,, compressor is seized . He admitted having issues with the YHM series of 2020. Supply house said they had 30 drives on order, and were going out like hot cakes.

In my opinion, the sub par quality 4 way reversing valve they used on the 2020 series units were sticking, causing the compressor to slug and seize, and with the compressor drive continuously trying to start the compressor, it too fried.

I am replacing the whole unit for a third time, this time a YHG model... Single speed scroll , 17 seer . Hope this is the end of my headaches...
    Last edited by beenthere; 03-05-2021 at 06:19 AM.

5. Likes ksefan liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Sorry to hear this...
    We have put in several and have had NO problems.
    Like stated above, I avoid the York stats..
    Getting ready to put one in our house....

As a side note we use the AV (variable speed) AHU with these.
    Souldn't make a difference with your problem tho .....
    Life is too short, Behappy!
    TFMM

Post Likes
    wish you luck with your YHM, hope it works out for you. a guy i work with also installed on in 2019, he has had zero problems, and amazing savings. from what i gather, the 2020 models had issues.

Post Likes
    Rotary compressor in the 5 stage? Who makes it?

Post Likes
    Pretty sure it’s a Mitsubishi compressor.. but the problem is that cheap 4 way reversing valve.. I’d bet my bottom buck on it....

Post Likes
    I've put in quite a few of these 16 seer units. Most of the original issues are due to an overheating ecm module for the outdoor fan motor. Most of the failures are on the three ton unit, although we've had one 4 ton unit's ecm control also fail for the same reason. Even though the ecm module is totally replaceable, coleman/york elected to combine the frequency drive and the ecm module under one part number so you have to change out the whole damn thing. $$$$
    Otherwise it's a pretty good unit. One thing that it can do pretty well is zoning. The algorithm for the 5 stage compressor learns pretty quick and if you know how to set up the zone panel, you can work a zone system better than a two stage scroll. It also uses the Mitsubishi compressor. Once the initial bug of the ecm is upgraded, they work well. We have had no compressor failures.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Xaviermarle View Post
    had an idea that the reversing valve got stuck in the middle.
    An RV stuck in the middle, won't cause any line to freeze up.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Xaviermarle View Post
    Well , The YHM didn't last too long... The first unit i received was out of gas on arrival,, after vacuuming to 400 microns, opened the valves... nothing. The supply house replaced it with another. After start-up, all was running well. ( October 2020) a month ago i noticed my 3/8'' liquid line frosted from the Unit to the expansion valve. Outdoor fan was running, and compressor doing some weird noises. I shut the system off, restarted, all was fine. had an idea that the reversing valve got stuck in the middle. 3 weeks later, saw outdoor fan start, run 7 seconds, and total system shutdown. Heat strips were heating the house. Did a series of tests, compressor not starting. Either the drive is shot or compressor is seized. OHM the winding, .053 ohms on each leg. ( which is to spec) Spoke to York technical advisor, He came over with a new drive board ( BTW, these are over $ cost) After doing tests,, compressor is seized . He admitted having issues with the YHM series of 2020. Supply house said they had 30 drives on order, and were going out like hot cakes.

In my opinion, the sub par quality 4 way reversing valve they used on the 2020 series units were sticking, causing the compressor to slug and seize, and with the compressor drive continuously trying to start the compressor, it too fried.

I am replacing the whole unit for a third time, this time a YHG model... Single speed scroll , 17 seer . Hope this is the end of my headaches...
    What causes a liquid line to frost from a rack to the coffin case?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in