+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boom !

Post Likes

2. Likes ga-hvac-tech liked this post.
    Post Likes

Post Likes
    502 bad gateway message on initial link. Second page was letting me in..
    “A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein

Post Likes
    Test passed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't fix it if it won't stay broke..

Post Likes
    You musta' studied hard, Pop. You passed. Any chance pics and make/ model?

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hearthman View Post
    You musta' studied hard, Pop. You passed. Any chance pics and make/ model?

Not much to look at. Is a second FP in my breakfast nook. Logs aren't the issue... boom is in the flue or decorative cap.

Was curious if anyone else has a booming flue. It booms several times a day sometimes a few times an hour.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Post Likes
    U Mentioned a Chimney Box , NOT a Full Masonary Chimney . . Correct ?

If that's So I have seen those Guys place a Lot of Straps - could be Pipe Moving inside ( Sliding ) Strap - over Locking Bulge or Screw Head ..

Other Thing to do , Place Game Camera up in Attic near Sound - somewhere - Leave Set to ON for 6-12 Hours see _Log_ Time of Day & Temp it happens may Help in Pin Pointing ..
    Even Hang on Rope down into Flue to Record . . just some Idea's to Pin Point . .( Game Camera's Record all sounds ) Left On , but sometimes Sound will even Kick one on If Loud enough ..

I've Heard Pop Sound - with a Wooden Pop type from Expansion & Contraction ~ When a Builder , Roofer has Missed on Truss to Nail Down Seam on Plywood or Sheeting ..

Post Likes

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    My guess would be the large rear steel wall of the fireplace box.

Is the booming fireplace to the east or the west?

Does the boom happen in the morning or the afternoon?

PHM
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by Dad View Post
    Need to run something by you guys.

I have a couple of FP's in my home. Nothing fancy on this one, a firebox liner, gas logs to code and flue pipe with outside chimney box with vent cap and decorative surround.

During the summer time while sitting in the breakfast area we keep hearing a "Boom". Nothing real loud it is subtle but similar to someone using explosives a few miles away. Am sure it has something to do with ambient heat expansion but what part is expanding and contracting?

In other words... where do I start looking? Anyone else experience this that may know?

Thx
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Dad View Post
    Thanks but I think we figured it out... It is the flexing of the sheet metal from the black shroud.

Oh; guess I am falling behind here. I seem confined to a chair right now so I am not working my usual seven days. <g>
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    My guess would be the large rear steel wall of the fireplace box.

Is the booming fireplace to the east or the west?

Does the boom happen in the morning or the afternoon?

PHM
    --------
    The boom happens only during the daylight hours in the heat of the day, never after dark.

The chimney is on the south east corner. (My home faces due north) The fireplace is built in the corner of the breakfast nook with a 12' ceiling. Chimney exits the room to the outside after 8' of vent pipe.

I am renovating the kitchen and doing some drywall work so I busted a hole in the wall above the firebox and took a look inside the wall. Everything is normal as can be. After inspecting inside the wall I can only gather it is the chimney shroud expanding and contracting.... thus the boom sound.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in