+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hose bib leaks inside home

Post Likes

Hose bib leaks inside home

When I open the shut-off valve (located in my basement) to spigot on the front of my house and open the spigot, I get a leak in my basement coming from the wall where the piping goes thru. Luckily my basement is unfinished so I can see where the water is dripping/leaking from. In the image below, i've circled the leak spot in red.

That said, when the cut-off valve is open and the spigot is closed, I don’t see a leak.

I know little to none about plumbing so I’m just trying to narrow down what the issue could be. Being that it doesn’t leak when the spigot is closed, does that provide any clues on where/what the issue could be?

IMG_62612.jpgIMG_20200614_162918.jpg

Post Likes
    Sounds like a hose bib valve body leak. It doesn't leak when the hose bib is shut off because it is a freeze resistant valve and shuts the water off at the valve entrance. That usually happens when the water supply pressure from the utility company is too high but also if the valve body is porous.
    No man can be both ignorant and free.
    Thomas Jefferson

3. Likes shobuddy, Nuclrchiller liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by WAYNE3298 View Post
    Sounds like a hose bib valve body leak. It doesn't leak when the hose bib is shut off because it is a freeze resistant valve and shuts the water off at the valve entrance. That usually happens when the water supply pressure from the utility company is too high but also if the valve body is porous.
    Wayne, thank you for the response. Sounds like I need to replace the entire bib assembly (spigot and metal piping coming into the basement), is that correct?

Post Likes
    That's what I would do. I would pull the old one first and take a look.
    No man can be both ignorant and free.
    Thomas Jefferson

6. Likes shobuddy, Vinnie_NJ liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by WAYNE3298 View Post
    That's what I would do. I would pull the old one first and take a look.
    I would be doing the same as well. need to see what body of this bib looks like! Looks like a cheap brand, does that say prier ?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

8. Likes shobuddy liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie_NJ View Post
    I would be doing the same as well. need to see what body of this bib looks like! Looks like a cheap brand, does that say prier ?

Yes, its a Prier. Is that good or bad?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by shobuddy View Post
    Yes, its a Prier. Is that good or bad?
    I never liked prier although they're claimed to be best made in the usa.. I normally go for shark bite, woodford, everflow.

This type of valve is a frost free sillcock. They're specially made to keep from having to shutoff water during the winter. Although that's very dependable on location and common sense too. Doesnt hurt to shutoff outside water supplies at first frost.

Post Likes
    Most likely a hose was left attached in the fall. The hose stayed full of water, the faucet pipe stayed full of water. The water in the hose froze and expanded towards the wall faucet.
    The water in the faucet pipe was compressed and split the pipe.

It only leaks when turned on. The water is shut off about 10-12" in side the house......the pipe is split between the handle and the shut off point.....that point is considered "freeze proof".

12. Likes Mimbler, Nuclrchiller liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RLJN View Post
    Most likely a hose was left attached in the fall. The hose stayed full of water, the faucet pipe stayed full of water. The water in the hose froze and expanded towards the wall faucet.
    The water in the faucet pipe was compressed and split the pipe.

It only leaks when turned on. The water is shut off about 10-12" in side the house......the pipe is split between the handle and the shut off point.....that point is considered "freeze proof".
    X2....the frost free spigots don't drain water if a hose is left attached. One will notice that when you remove the hose with the spigot closed that a small amount of water drains out.

I have never had an issue with any of my frost free spigots and I remove all my hoses for the winter but do not shut the water off to the spigot upstream.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    three times over. also, if the line is not sloped downhill outward, water will stay in the valve and freeze.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in