Thread: Thermometer for grilling meat

Post Likes

Thermometer for grilling meat

Hey guys! Hope you're doing well through these tough times.
    I have a dilemma about meat thermometers for grilling. I'm a newbie griller and I don't savvy much, that's why I'm asking. Which meat thermometer would you advise? I know that there are leave-in and instant-read ones, which one would be the best?
    If it has sense: my grill is a charcoal weber kettle.
    Thanks!

Post Likes
    go to barbeques galore they have what ya need. just get the basic one or two probe thermo that has the display the probes plug into. academy, all the big box stores, etc sell them. they are all about the same, if ya leave them out in the rain, they are done. don't soak the probes in water to clean them either. good luck!

Post Likes
    Honeywell you can buy better but you cant pay more

I told my wife when i die to sell my fishing stuff for what its worth not what i told her i paid for it

Post Likes
    Wait a minute! You guys are not using your thermocouplings for grilling???

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Whoisyourdaddy View Post
    Hey guys! Hope you're doing well through these tough times.
    I have a dilemma about meat thermometers for grilling. I'm a newbie griller and I don't savvy much, that's why I'm asking. Which meat thermometer would you advise? I know that there are leave-in and instant-read ones, which one would be the best?
    If it has sense: my grill is a charcoal weber kettle.
    Thanks!
    ThermoPro TP06S

Post Likes
    I have a Thermapen Mk4, it works great (from thermoworks). Lavaworks javelin is also a great pick.

Post Likes
    I second the Thermapen Mk4. ThermoWorks also makes a cheaper thermometer, Thermopop. I also recommend their two channel thermometer, Smoke, or the single probe leave in thermometer, Dot. In case you can’t tell, I’m a fan of ThermoWorks products

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Aendilx View Post
    Wait a minute! You guys are not using your thermocouplings for grilling???
    I actually used to use them to measure ambient temps in the grill before I got my current set up.

Post Likes
    I just stick it in, wiggle it around, and see how the meat reacts.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

10. Likes BALloyd liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by poppa View Post
    go to barbeques galore they have what ya need. just get the basic one or two probe thermo that has the display the probes plug into. academy, all the big box stores, etc sell them. they are all about the same, if ya leave them out in the rain, they are done. don't soak the probes in water to clean them either. good luck!
    Thanks for your response. What do you think about waterproof models? Are they really waterproofing or it's just a commercial move? It's said that this model is a folding one. I've never heard about this type of thermometers, but it looks more reliable because it seems to be easier to take it outdoors and not to break a probe in a bag.

Post Likes
    My son has one of those. Works good and he has had it awhile. Only bad part is ya gotta keep opening the lid to check. I don’t like opening the lid on my stick smoker that much

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Whoisyourdaddy View Post
    Thanks for your response. What do you think about waterproof models? Are they really waterproofing or it's just a commercial move? It's said that this model is a folding one. I've never heard about this type of thermometers, but it looks more reliable because it seems to be easier to take it outdoors and not to break a probe in a bag.
    I'm sure there are many different versions of folding thermometers (the one you cited + the javelin + thermapen are all examples). They probably work equally well too.

I've had my thermapen mk4 for probably 4+ years and it's never failed me. I put it in the sink to wash it and whatnot too, so the waterproof aspect is certainly worth something.

To poppa's point, I don't use a thermometer when I'm smoking something (e.g. brisket, ribs, etc.), temperature doesn't mean too much there. But for cooking a steak, BBQ chicken, burgers, etc., an instant read thermometer is great.

Post Likes
    I've been using the Weber iGrill. Although I have to say, it's almost more work getting it out and putting it away every time than it's worth.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mwkoehler View Post
    I'm sure there are many different versions of folding thermometers (the one you cited + the javelin + thermapen are all examples). They probably work equally well too.

I've had my thermapen mk4 for probably 4+ years and it's never failed me. I put it in the sink to wash it and whatnot too, so the waterproof aspect is certainly worth something.

To poppa's point, I don't use a thermometer when I'm smoking something (e.g. brisket, ribs, etc.), temperature doesn't mean too much there. But for cooking a steak, BBQ chicken, burgers, etc., an instant read thermometer is great.
    temp does mean a lot smoking, but I never used a thermo til recently to see if I had been doing it right the last 40 yrs and sure enough, spot on! beer can cold and just dry the spit off the smoker lid is how I roll! btw I like ice cold beer!

16. Likes Red Man liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I bought a Klein ET10 pocket thermometer. It sat in my garage for months and then dropped and broke my actual meat thermometer. So decided it would have to do for now. Have been using it for 2 years now. For meat only of course.