Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pranks on new guys

Post Likes

Pranks on new guys

This one works on helpers. Send him in to the supply house for imaginary things. Make sure you get the counter guys in on it. The last one I sent into Johnstone for some "level" water for my torpedo level. They told him he needed to go to home depot for it as they have the best. I told him that we didn't have time so he would have to go get it after work. After we were done for the day, I dropped him at his car which was a good 45 minutes away from HD. It was 5 o'clock already. I laughed as he drove the direction of HD instead of home.

Post Likes
    Set a 20 ton RTU and sent my new guy down to get the wax for the unit once we were done. Spent a solid 20 minutes looking for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalman0880 View Post
    Set a 20 ton RTU and sent my new guy down to get the wax for the unit once we were done. Spent a solid 20 minutes looking for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Awesome, here is another one.

Had this new guy about 18 years ago. He was a good worker, didn't complain, mechanically inclined, etc. He started on Monday. By Friday though he was getting on my nerves a little, but nothing that is a fireable offense. The previous day, Thursday, we had gone to Gensco and maxed out his tool account. If I remember correctly, he went over his supposed limit. Like 750 bucks or so.

Well, that Friday, around lunchtime, he was sitting over in the parking lot on the jobsite. I decided to piss him off....

"Hey man, just got off the phone with the boss man. He told me you aren't going to work out. The end of today is it."

Him: "What the fukk man!! I just spent more than my paycheck on tools and I will end up oweing money!"

He was in a fighting stance and we were about ready to go to blows...lol.
    He stormed off and was about to call the boss when I ran after him and told him the truth. Immediately he turned back to normal color and he got a weird smile on his face.

We joked about it for years.

Post Likes
    Back when I was the FNG, one of my co-workers put one of those giant zip ties that you use for flex duct onto my driveshaft.

We were working at a community college and there were tons of people outside walking around when I started the van and tried to drive away. Th-wack, th-wack, th-wack thwack thwack thwack. It was loud as F, and of course everyone around was staring at me.

I pulled over near the sidewalk and glanced over to my co-worker who was outside of his van doubled over in laughter.

Yeah, real funny mother fer!
    If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.

Post Likes
    This is a little off topic. When I was in the Air Force (ours) we were installing a modification on the mock ups for a new radio system. We even had a factory tech rep for days while this was being done. Finally the job was done and it was time for an operational check. We took spaghetti insulation and interwove it in the wiring. As soon as the tech rep applied power, someone blew cigarette smoke into the insulation.
    Doug

Post Likes
    I’ve sent several guys to the supply house for a bucket of steam.
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    Steam pump
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    Well, when I was a new young Apprentice, there were for the most part,only 3 freons around,12,22,502. The Techs told me to go get the Dichlorodifluoromethane and not the CCl2F2.

Post Likes
    How about sending him to supply house for the pipe stretcher.?
    Sent from the van with the a/c on.

Post Likes
    When I was in the Marines we would send the new guys for the key to the jet and to the stock room for some prop wash.

11. Likes Fender60 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Just remember that paybacks are hell man. If that newbie plays a good prank on you, don't be getting all pissed off about it.

13. Likes ga-hvac-tech liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I had a dummy security camera that I told new techs was tied into the office. I also hooked up door switches to the seats and told them that the office could tell if we were sitting in the truck. After I left the person who got my truck was paranoid and thought the camera was real I was told.
    Signature removed Violated rule #15

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    Just remember that paybacks are hell man. If that newbie plays a good prank on you, don't be getting all pissed off about it.
    Oh ya. If I remember correctly he put electricians lube all over my door handle and steering wheel.

Post Likes
    AP threatening someone with there job is not cool. Apparently you have never been laid off. If that had been done to me, I would be out of a job, because I would be in jail. You sir are a waste of space. Oh he was irritating you so what. What really is astounding is that fact you think it was funny and ok. You made sure you corrected it before he called the boss so you could save your job. What would you have done if he had swung. My money says you would have covered your butt and he would have lost his job. So yeah real funny, NOT.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Ineedanap View Post
    AP threatening someone with there job is not cool. Apparently you have never been laid off. If that had been done to me, I would be out of a job, because I would be in jail. You sir are a waste of space. Oh he was irritating you so what. What really is astounding is that fact you think it was funny and ok. You made sure you corrected it before he called the boss so you could save your job. What would you have done if he had swung. My money says you would have covered your butt and he would have lost his job. So yeah real funny, NOT.
    It was a silly prank over 20 years ago, calm down. He was a friend of mine as well. I didn't let it drag on and told him right away.

Relax..........take a deep breath

Post Likes
    Had someone tell me about that years ago. Used to be a common prank. Then one guy actually came back with a container of prop wash. To the best of my memory, the pranksters just all looked at each other, they couldn't believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by leslie cook View Post
    When I was in the Marines we would send the new guys for the key to the jet and to the stock room for some prop wash.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    Not sure if you were the owner, or just another hired hand, but if that happened to me, the owner would have been pissed. Because that was all billable time. And it sounds like overtime to me. What, a couple of hours worth? Easy money as far as I am concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Adlerberts-Protege View Post
    This one works on helpers. Send him in to the supply house for imaginary things. Make sure you get the counter guys in on it. The last one I sent into Johnstone for some "level" water for my torpedo level. They told him he needed to go to home depot for it as they have the best. I told him that we didn't have time so he would have to go get it after work. After we were done for the day, I dropped him at his car which was a good 45 minutes away from HD. It was 5 o'clock already. I laughed as he drove the direction of HD instead of home.

Post Likes
    There is and never has been anything funny about that AP.

21. Dislikes GenesisRefrig disliked this post.
    Post Likes
    There is a very fine line between what is acceptable or not.

I make it very clear to any co-worker who starts to go down this path. Horse play is absolutely forbidden. "Pranks" are not allowed. A mild joke is okay so long as we are not in the heat of the battle. I need professionalism. And I'll return that same professionalism. For what it is worth, there is this one guy where I work right now, told the dispatcher I will not work with him, just ain't gonna happen.

We work around a bunch of very dangerous stuff. Don't waste my time, and I'll do everything in my power to make you a better tech.

Post Likes
    Okay, just remembered a funny from last summer.

I'm not an installer, so rarely work around those guys. Lead installer told the dispatcher he needed me for the start up. Old unit, provided by the building owner, was installed as a replacement for another, because it was abandoned on the roof. Weird details.

Anyway, showed up on site. They had another hour or so to go. Wasn't going to interfere with them, just figured I'd watch them to figure out how they worked with each other.

After a few minutes, I started picking up screws on the roof. Just to start doing something. Lead installer yelled at another. Find something to do . . . YOUR FIELD SUPERVISOR IS PICKING UP FREAKIN' SCREWS. I thought it was funny as hell. They went back and forth a bit until he found something to do.

A bit later, as they were putting the last few screws in some sheet metal, the lead installer quietly went:

Sssssssss . . .

Again, funny as all hell. Just loud enough for all close by to hear.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast