+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'm not Proud to do this...but customer could not afford new system or coil.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

I'm not Proud to do this...but customer could not afford new system or coil.

The customer could not afford a new system nor could he afford to get a new coil installed. Actually its an A/H so it would have been a new A/H... so I just did whatever I could do for him and gave no guarantee it will hold up or no other leak will form. Found 3 nicks on distribution capillary tubes... well trying to fix the last one it snapped off where it entered the coil . LOL, can't believe I jerry ragged that sucker too. Four leaks fixed... Worked great when I was done but I think next time I won't do that..
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    wHen I diE I hOpe gOd haS mErcy oN my SiNful LifE

2. Likes ksefan liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I’ve been know to do that from time to time.
    If God didn't want us to eat animals... He wouldn't have made them out of MEAT.

Post Likes
    You did good for what you were presented. Blame that on the installer for not inspecting that coil before commissioning.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    You did good for what you were presented. Blame that on the installer for not inspecting that coil before commissioning.
    The system is super old. I think close to 19-20 yrs old. So it must of been installed right... Ah naw.. wait a minute.. I just remembered.. there was no FD on the LL... damn installers. Loll

Don't worry I did install a bi-flow FD on the LL. Recharged with 407c. Unit is Bryant hp system.

So the leaks interestingly leaked where there were plastic zip ties were attached. Who knew after so long the zip tie rubbing with the cap tube make nicks and eventually make it leak. I hope next year the customer changes the system before another major break down.

6. Likes VTP99 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I guess it's a form of check & balance. Personally I like it when a tech does what's the best interest of his customer.
    Now if that same tech willfully wrongs his customer I think it's appropriate to call him out.

Post Likes
    A little late to be blaming the installers for that one!

I’ve seen plenty of newer units with friction holes on cap tubes, not installers job to disassemble a new unit to make sure it was built correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Wrong. Anything can happen during shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by jlanesey View Post

I’ve seen plenty of newer units with friction holes on cap tubes, not installers job to disassemble a new unit to make sure it was built correctly.

I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    Wrong. Anything can happen during shipping.
    Heroic post, love the red text. Doing a inspection of above coil wouldn’t have prevented this 10-20 year failure. Again, not my job to do QC in the field, I’ve got a lot of other things to worry about to make sure the customer is getting a quality install.

I always check the basics, damaged cabinets, blower wheels centered on the shafts, pressure test on coil, if there is a manufacturers defect that doesn’t present itself for 10 years you should be pointing your finger at the manufacturer not the installer.

Post Likes
    If you are not inspecting the coil, and associated distributor tubes during an install, you are not doing a quality install.

In commercial, I'll look at the distributor tubes on a rather frequent basis. That's why it is called a PREVENTATIVE maintenance. If I did residential, I'd only look at those tubes if I had reason to pull the panel off.

Heroic post, love the red text. Doing a inspection of above coil wouldn’t have prevented this 10-20 year failure. Again, not my job to do QC in the field, I’ve got a lot of other things to worry about to make sure the customer is getting a quality install.

I always check the basics, damaged cabinets, blower wheels centered on the shafts, pressure test on coil, if there is a manufacturers defect that doesn’t present itself for 10 years you should be pointing your finger at the manufacturer not the installer.

I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes

I never check anything with the coil unless I can visually see something. I also make sure there was pressure in there when I remove the plugs on the coil. Its rare I have had a issue with a ac coil. I have had weird issues with condensers. Like overcharged condensers or units with no freon in them at all...loll

13. Likes jlanesey liked this post.
    Post Likes

Oh contrary, it's in many IOM'S to do inspection.

Post Likes

I'm not Proud to do this...but customer could not afford new system or coil.

Oh contrary, it's in many IOM'S to do inspection.
    So you would have cut off the manufacturer installed zip ties on the coil knowing that would prevent a failure in 20 years, give me a break. Installing equipment “correctly” isn’t an easy job. Hot shot service techs blaming every problem they ever see on the installers gets old quick.

I can’t even begin to count how many times I’m there to change out equipment that the all star tech red tagged solely because they didn’t feel like fixing or were gunning for a commission.

Post Likes
    As long as you got paid,and didn’t rape the customer I see no issues
    Honeywell you can buy better but you cant pay more

I told my wife when i die to sell my fishing stuff for what its worth not what i told her i paid for it

17. Likes kdean1 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by crazzycajun View Post
    As long as you got paid,and didn’t rape the customer I see no issues
    Definitely got paid and it was very reasonable for the customer.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mofotech View Post
    Definitely got paid and it was very reasonable for the customer.

20. Likes VTP99 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I see no shame here
    Sent from the van with the a/c on.

Post Likes
    A tip I got from this site years ago for nicked distributor tubes. Strip out a section of #18 stat wire. Wrap it around the tube where the leak is keeping the wire tight to itself. Then solder over the whole thing. The tight wrap on the wire keeps the solder from entering the distributor tube. I have done it a couple times.

Post Likes
    You did nothing wrong.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BNME8EZ View Post
    A tip I got from this site years ago for nicked distributor tubes. Strip out a section of #18 stat wire. Wrap it around the tube where the leak is keeping the wire tight to itself. Then solder over the whole thing. The tight wrap on the wire keeps the solder from entering the distributor tube. I have done it a couple times.
    Ive done this.

25. Likes ga-hvac-tech liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BNME8EZ View Post
    Pretty good idea

27. Likes Unlimited1 liked this post.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in