Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: I'm not Proud to do this...but customer could not afford new system or coil.

Post Likes
    1) What on earth are you talking about? I'm guessing those zip ties are there to prevent vibration, why would you cut them loose?

2) If I was an installer, I would definitely be inspection any and all distributer tubing.

3) Easy peasy in commercial work. Can't believe you wouldn't inspect equipment after shipping and before install, I thought that would be standard procedure, if only to protect yourself. You have no clue what that equipment went through after it left the factory and showed up on your doorstep.

Quote Originally Posted by jlanesey View Post
    So again, you would have cut off the zip ties that were installed by the factory knowing it would cause a problem in twenty years?

Every install you do you pull the evap from the air handler to inspect both sides of the coil? You pull the jacket on every condensor to make sure no tubes are rubbing?

If I had that little confidence in what I was selling / installing I’d be looking for another brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    So again, you would have cut off the zip ties that were installed by the factory knowing it would cause a problem in twenty years?

Every install you do you pull the evap from the air handler to inspect both sides of the coil? You pull the jacket on every condensor to make sure no tubes are rubbing?

If I had that little confidence in what I was selling / installing I’d be looking for another brand.

I have found quite a few evaporators with bent fins and straightened them out that left the factory that way...I have seen other factory defects by doing a full inspection...it’s my job to do that! It’s a whopping 15 minutes at most! Lol!

Maybe some of you need more time in the field to see what I’m talking about! Lol

Post Likes

I have found quite a few evaporators with bent fins and straightened them out that left the factory that way...I have seen other factory defects by doing a full inspection...it’s my job to do that! It’s a whopping 15 minutes at most! Lol!

Maybe some of you need more time in the field to see what I’m talking about! Lol

Only on package units I see the wiring on the evap tubing but I don’t yank the coil on those...I have pulled out the economizer assembly to straighten out the bent evap fins on the filter side

The people working on putting these units together in the assembly plant do not always bring their A game! And i think they might have hired a temp worker to meet production!

Or they was in a rush to leave on a Friday

Or they was hung over that Monday! Lol

Post Likes

You cannot have it both ways. Complain about lazy service techs and yet say it is not an installers job to fully inspect a unit.

Damn right I have cut of many factory zip ties. They are put on so haphazardly and loose sometimes that they are not doing anything anyway. I have adjusted distributor tubing and or put a dab of caulking on them to prevent them rubbing together. Or redone the zip ties. Resecured the wiring because it looked like spaghetti.

Look for another brand?? Lol they all have their faults. I have seen the same problems you mention on several different brands.

Strive to be better.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

5. Likes BNME8EZ liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Heroic post, love the red text. Doing a inspection of above coil wouldn’t have prevented this 10-20 year failure. Again, not my job to do QC in the field, I’ve got a lot of other things to worry about to make sure the customer is getting a quality install.

I always check the basics, damaged cabinets, blower wheels centered on the shafts, pressure test on coil, if there is a manufacturers defect that doesn’t present itself for 10 years you should be pointing your finger at the manufacturer not the installer.

I never check anything with the coil unless I can visually see something. I also make sure there was pressure in there when I remove the plugs on the coil. Its rare I have had a issue with a ac coil. I have had weird issues with condensers. Like overcharged condensers or units with no freon in them at all...loll
    wHen I diE I hOpe gOd haS mErcy oN my SiNful LifE

7. Likes jlanesey liked this post.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345