Thread: Replacing communicating thermostat with ecobee (or similar)

Post Likes

Replacing communicating thermostat with ecobee (or similar)

I’m really tired of our ClimateMaster ATC32U01 stat which came with our install of our climate master geo unit (Tranquility30). I’d like to have this replaced with a non-communicating type like an Ecobee so I could have internet control and some other features the CM stat doesn’t have. I know this could involve running new cable but not concerned about that.

My question is: I really find the service functions of the CM DXM2 communicating stat helpful. What would happen if I had an installer connect both? Would the non-communicating one be able to control the unit and still be able to have the CM stat hooked up next to the unit to give me info on loop temps and such? Or would the unit detect the communicating stat and ignore the non-communicating stat?

Post Likes
    Generally speaking (across many brands of equipment)...

Communicating thermostats are proprietary to the manufacturer... and most of the time offer features not available with after-market thermostats.

It is possible there is a newer model of communicating stat, with upgraded features...
    I would ask about that possibility, and weigh the features, before making a choice.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    AWC99B01

looks like the model number for a communicating internet capable stat for your equipment
    RTB Mechanical
    734-315-0064
    http://rtbmechanical.com

Post Likes
    Thank you both for the quick responses. I find the manufacturer stats poorly designed, have little to no integration with smart home systems, and 5 or more years behind what’s out there so my question is specifically about whether or not a contractor could replace my existing communicating stat with one of the more modern non-communicating varieties and still use the communicating stat to see the technical status of the unit.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisw View Post
    Thank you both for the quick responses. I find the manufacturer stats poorly designed, have little to no integration with smart home systems, and 5 or more years behind what’s out there so my question is specifically about whether or not a contractor could replace my existing communicating stat with one of the more modern non-communicating varieties and still use the communicating stat to see the technical status of the unit.
    as far as using both I do not believe this is possible and switching to any ecobee or nest or whatever you will lose the majority of the features .
    RTB Mechanical
    734-315-0064

Post Likes
    1. The thermostat someone listed is not approved for the tranquility 30. It may work, but probably won't.
    I've been told it won't. Never tried it, but tech support says it's a different communication language.
    That's the trilogy thermostat.

2. Yes, you can mount the communicating thermostat on the unit, and use it as a service tool.

Then hook up a standard thermostat at the wall.

I do it at every service call on a climate master, as I carry a service thermostat specifically to do what you want to do.

Also, it's REQUIRED to be installed when using a communicating air handler in a split system application.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacvegas View Post
    1. The thermostat someone listed is not approved for the tranquility 30. It may work, but probably won't.
    I've been told it won't. Never tried it, but tech support says it's a different communication language.
    That's the trilogy thermostat.

2. Yes, you can mount the communicating thermostat on the unit, and use it as a service tool.

Then hook up a standard thermostat at the wall.

I do it at every service call on a climate master, as I carry a service thermostat specifically to do what you want to do.

Also, it's REQUIRED to be installed when using a communicating air handler in a split system application.
    i just did a quick search on that stat seemed to be in the same family but well I didn't go farther. i believe what he's wanting to do is leave both wired on the wall and I believe your talking about using it at the unit and plugging it in when there's a problem? or is it possible to have both operational at the same time..honestly never occurred to me to try.
    RTB Mechanical
    734-315-0064

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dkalasz View Post
    i just did a quick search on that stat seemed to be in the same family but well I didn't go farther. i believe what he's wanting to do is leave both wired on the wall and I believe your talking about using it at the unit and plugging it in when there's a problem? or is it possible to have both operational at the same time..honestly never occurred to me to try.
    It can be wired in the entire time.
    It's actually required in certain applications.

The only issues become when someone tries to use both thermostats simultaneous.

IE, if conventional is calling for O, there is no way to run the unit in aux heat on a package unit through the communicating thermostat. This is due to programming in the board that prevents aux and O from running at the same time.
    That even applies to the black service tool.

Which, incidentally causes a bunch of relays needed for reheat dehumidification if necessary.

Climate master currently doesn't have a internet thermostat for the tranquility series.

Even the trilogy is a rebranded ecobee, bootstrapped to work with their communication language.
    Last edited by hvacvegas; 03-30-2020 at 12:12 AM.

Post Likes
    learn something new every day !!
    RTB Mechanical
    734-315-0064

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in