Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible to get AC in a townhouse while keeping condenser inside and vented out?

Post Likes

Possible to get AC in a townhouse while keeping condenser inside and vented out?

I live in a townhouse where we are not allowed to have mini split or regular air conditioning due to changing the appearance outside and drilling holes through the wall blah blah.

Is there a way to hookup a regular AC or mini split or anything for that matter inside and have it vent out through a basement window?

I currently have 2 portables which are not very quiet. It's really hard to find those as well

Post Likes
    Not practically. Since a conventional A/C would require a way for a large amount of ait to enter the basement to cool the condenser, and would need a blower added to it to force the high volume of air, the condenser needs.

A 1.5 ton A/C air handler would only need to move 600 CFM of air, while the 1.5 ton condenser would need to move 1200 to 1400 CFM of air to keep it cool.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by equlizer36 View Post
    I live in a townhouse where we are not allowed to have mini split or regular air conditioning due to changing the appearance outside and drilling holes through the wall blah blah.

Is there a way to hookup a regular AC or mini split or anything for that matter inside and have it vent out through a basement window?

I currently have 2 portables which are not very quiet. It's really hard to find those as well
    So what do they have for A/C currently besides portables?

Post Likes
    Does the covenants give any suggestions other than "suffer at the expense of making the property look good"? What if anything has your neighbors done to get around this restriction?
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Post Likes
    Chances are the electrical data plate on any outdoor section A/C or Heat Pump will say something like this “ For outdoor use only “

Post Likes
    Everyone else has loud portables and or fans. Now that i am on the board, i will try and change this by getting everyone to purchase the same unit/color and from the same company and maybe get everyone to sign a waiver that if anything happens with it outside, we are responsible.

Post Likes
    Everyone else has loud portables and or fans. Now that i am on the board, i will try and change this by getting everyone to purchase the same unit/color and from the same company and maybe get everyone to sign a waiver that if anything happens with it outside, we are responsible.
    What was originally there?
    Where is this condo located?

8. Likes Nuclrchiller liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Is there forced air heat now? Or baseboard?

Post Likes
    All units are forced air. I can get anything that does not protrude past the window frame. Everyone here is in the same boat.

Post Likes
    No flat roof area ?

Post Likes
    You can do the first company through the wall condenser.

13. Likes equlizer36 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    no flat roof

Post Likes
    You need a Mechanical contractor and a site visit. We cant see the building or its location.

Post Likes

This is the A/C deathpunch mentioned. It is mounted flush to the wall. Common in multi-family. Then hooks by refrigerant lines to a coil in the air handler.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post

This is the A/C deathpunch mentioned. It is mounted flush to the wall. Common in multi-family. Then hooks by refrigerant lines to a coil in the air handler.
    I don't think the association will allow wall penetrations.
    Sounds like an association living in the stone ages.

Post Likes
    Thank you baldloonie.

Post Likes
    Might look into a way to landscape and hide the outside units... specific location with bushes covering it...
    NOTE that the bushes MUST give the unit clearance to pump air: sides to suck in the air, top open to exhaust the air.

Do you have elevated decks on the back, or fenced in courtyards for each unit...
    Good places to put the unit.
    Note with the elevated deck, the unit MUST have a minimum of 5 ft above clearance... more is better!

Best to get a heating and AC guy out and discuss options...

Where are you... city/state???
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    That association sounds horrible. Are you a renter or owner? If you are an owner then try a petition saying that not allowing air conditioning installation is unfair, unsafe, etc. Everyone deserves to be comfortable.

I see what they are saying though I drive by all the mansions in the twin cities and think they look like trash with all their driveways. And fences and lights.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathpunch0311 View Post
    You can do the first company through the wall condenser.
    You asked me about the optimum moisture removal of a coil by making colder than the desired dew point in the home.
    Using the saturated temperature of the coil for ideal setup is best. The saturated temperature should be a minimum of 10^F below the desired dew point of the home.
    Ex/ 75^F,50%RH, a 55^F dew point should have supply air with minimum of 50^F supply dew point conditioned air.
    Important also is the outdoor air temperature when making the adjustment needs to be typical load condition.
    Hope this helps clear the air.
    Regards Teddy Bear
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    What was originally there?
    Where is this condo located?
    This ^
    In honor of RichardL: "Ain't 'None' of us as smart as 'All' of us".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in