+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Insulated Ground Pigtails.

Post Likes

Insulated Ground Pigtails.

I’m Rewiring the Basement for a Finished Basement. Inspector came while I wasn’t there, and knocked me down because I put the cover plates loosely on. “old Hot work gets inspected too!” He came this morning, failed me because I don’t have insulated ground pigtails on my Receptacles and Switches, also he hit me on a two gang three way switch, as there was only one wire nutted neutral. Anybody heard of this? BTW I have an electrician, who pulled the permit for me and is doing the panel tie ins.

Post Likes
    After my Electrician contacted the inspector, found out he does this to H.O.s He Says sloppy work? I did everyone with pig tails. Even the existing electrical. Ran another 3 with ground to the switch. Wire nutted the neutral. However, I’m stuck on the project, due to Coronavirus, they are only doing inspections on unoccupied and new construction buildings. I can’t get the Drywall taped, and primed.

Post Likes
    Bonding on receptacles and switches became code when plastic boxes were used.
    They all have to be part of a grounded system and plastic isn't conductive.
    We are here on Earth to fart around ......Kurt Vonnegut

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    So prior to inspection you didn’t have any of the ground screws attached to the ground back to the panel?

I also recall my friend telling me code was changed to have a neutral in every box. IE no more back switches were aloud where the white was being used as the switch leg. Something to do about homeowners not understanding a back switch/switch leg something something.

At one time I heard they were also going to disallow the coloring or taping of a white wire to indicate it was a hot wire, but that has since been debunked.

I get the inspectors being a little harder on homeowners.

I just replaced my furnace and I’m going to pull the permit on my name and not my company name just for giggles. There are only 2 HVAC inspectors for the county and I know both so it’s not like they won’t know. Maybe I’ll have the wife meet them and tell me what they say. I just want to see if he looks harder cause it’s a homeowner permit or the same. My inspections now last about 5 min. Walks in, sniff for gas, looks decent here you go...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in