Thread: Enough return air for existing heating system

Post Likes

Enough return air for existing heating system

How do I know if I have currently enough existing return air capacity for a 2.5 ton air handler system in laundry room? This is not a standard return ducting system and may be hard to explain well, but tried below. Basically, trying to analyze what I currently have. I want to make sure have enough return air capacity feeding into current air handler.

5 return registers feed into a T shaped return area (hallways for bedrooms) that then feeds into 3 return openings (no air restriction) that then goes into a 12 high x 24 wide x 32 long return area(laundry room) which feeds a 18.5 wide x 18.5 Deep x 20 inch high metal return plenum and then a 20 x 20 x 4 filter set up on top of air handler (downflow application)

Return registers - 4 bedroom with 7.5x11 stamp faced grilles (1/4 inch gaps) and 1 hallway- 9x21 grille that is basically a piece of plastic with 1/2 in x 1/2 in openings

Main Return area – is a lowered ceiling T-shaped since we are on a slab and is 12 inch High by 36 wide. Stem of T is 15 Ft long that has the big grille and the cross is 20 feet long and has the 4 bedroom return grilles.

The 3 return openings that go into return plenum are 6x18, 6x14, 6x14. These are wide open with no grille restrictions.

Post Likes
    I think pics would make it easier to know what you have.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by resjan View Post

How do I know if I have currently enough existing return air capacity for a 2.5 ton air handler system in laundry room?
    This is not a standard return ducting system and may be hard to explain well, but tried below.

Basically, trying to analyze what I currently have. MEASURE THE TOTAL AIR FLOW RATE
    I want to make sure have enough return air capacity feeding into current air handler.
    2.5 TON A/C = 900 to 1,000 CFM is required
    if you are located below 3,500 Foot Elevation. > 1,000 CFM, IF > 5,000 FT.
    No ZIP _ _ _ _ _ is provided.

TAB may be necessary along with ACCA MANUAL J ROOM-BY-ROOM CALC.
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    I knew it would be hard to explain. Do I have enough posts to be able to post pictures?

I do not understand what Dan sw fl is saying in his post. I am in northern ohio.

I am just a homeowner and wanted to try to verify myself by seeing if I could do it by total area, # of openings, and # of grills, etc. since I have been told yes, but no firm calculations provided to me.

Post Likes
    Anticipated TEM6 AHU Performance

Previous Thread by OP:
    ____________ CFM air flow higher than performance table
    2.5 Ton 14 SEER Heat Pump

https://www.trane.com/content/dam/Tr...N_08152017.pdf

__ TRANE
    TEM6 AOB 030

PAGE 4
    ______ 1/3 HP MOTOR

PAGE 8 - TABLE 2
    _____________ 2.5 TON Setting @ 0.9" TESP = 872 CFM

I don't know the VOLTS & AMPS measured on the AHU.
    _ NORMAL AIRFLOW SETTING: _ 325 Watts at 0.9" W.C. ESP is exceeding a 1.0 Service Factor for a 1/3 HP Motor
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    Dan,

Please explain in words. What you provided tells me about the air handler and static pressure, but not the capacity.

I just want to know the capacity of my return area that feeds into the air handler based on what I stated in my original post.

I have this large return area in my house and want to know how much airflow it is capable of handling.

Post Likes
    You can measure static pressure drop, but this will tell you if you dont have enough. But it also depends on total system ductwork. With RA, more is better.

Post Likes
    beenthere,

Here are pictures
    Name:  WIN_20200121_07_57_33_Pro.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  33.5 KBName:  WIN_20200121_07_58_12_Pro.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  35.2 KBName:  WIN_20200121_07_58_26_Pro.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  32.7 KBName:  WIN_20200121_07_58_58_Pro.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  30.0 KBName:  WIN_20200121_07_59_12_Pro.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  42.4 KBName:  WIN_20200121_07_59_38_Pro.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  25.0 KB

Post Likes
    Dan,

Please explain in words.
    What you provided tells me about the air handler and static pressure, but not the capacity.

I just want to know the capacity of my return area that feeds into the air handler based on what I stated in my original post.

I have this large return area in my house and want to know how much airflow it is capable of handling.
    If the Existing TESP is > 1.0" W.C.,
    the AHU capacity would be ~ high 700's or low 800's CFM
    given a Rough extrapolation of the highlighted Table 2 data.

An A/C unit air flow rate capacity is NOT determined by the amount of return duct work.

ALL INFORMATION ABOUT ALL SUPPLY AND RETURN FLOW PATHS AND EVERY DUCT / connection COMPONENT
    IS REQUIRED
    TO DEVELOP AN ACCURATE ACCA MANUAL D CALCULATION.

SIMPLIFICATION:
    If all the SUPPLY ducts are 5" Diameter, 20 foot long Flexible ducts
    that are NOT properly STRETCHED, the OVERALL duct capacity
    may be ~ 10 to 12 supply branches * ~ 60 CFM Each = ~ 700 CFM.

I Do Not Have upto ~ 2 Days free time to determine
    what the ACTUAL Problems are and the EFFECTIVE resolutions.

EMBEDDED duct schematic [ specifically an applicable Downflow arrangement ] would be about 1/3 of the information needed
    to evaluate an existing duct layout.

Post Likes
    How do you get return air ducts where Headers should be?

Post Likes
    Pecmsg,
    what to you mean by headers?

Post Likes
    Pecmsg,
    what to you mean by headers?

Post Likes
    all homes in our development have this type of return ducting. It is basically a big drop ceiling that is 12 high by 36 wide and encompasses the hallways leading to the bedrooms for a total of about 35 feet in length (T shaped). I guess since this is a slab, they needed to put return ducting somewhere and chose to use this type system for the return system.

Post Likes
    it would be best to have a competent technician measure the static pressure and using the airflow performance tables determine the current airflow.
    Climate Control Solutions for your Home or Office

Serving Northeast Philadelphia and Surrounding Areas

Post Likes
    As I read it I think the hall ceiling was lowered, all return grill dump into the lowered ceiling area then there are 2-6x14 & 1-6x18 openings going from the lowered ceiling area through the wall into the return drop.

As I measure it the area going into the return drop should be ok, the lowered ceiling should be the same but the grills/openings may be suspect.

Post Likes
    BNME8EZ

You are correct. That is exactly what is happening and the type of answer I am looking for.
    Just wanted to be sure. I do not hear any noise coming from the 5 return vents, but the 4 bedroom vents I could see if I could get larger grille if needed.
    I am just trying to get some additional feedback since I still ultimately believe something is wrong with the air handler itself from my previous post.
    My neighbor concurs with me since he has a Trane VS (older thought) with same return system, but his unit on 2.5 normal is much quieter at the unit as well as air flow in ducts much quieter and lower. He also has 10 individual runs like my house.

Post Likes
    Simple test, pull the grills off in the bedrooms, see if anything changes, if it does great yo have a direction to pursue, if it doesn't your not wasting money on new grills that may not help.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in