+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Walkin cooler This will work.. Just need someone to do it for me

Post Likes

Walkin cooler This will work.. Just need someone to do it for me

This will work.. Just need someone to do it for me.

Put a outside HPCU inside a walkin cooler box. Put AHU in the Kitchen to dump heat.

Parameters are within range. HPCU will have ambient of 35-40. AHU ambient is 78-80 degrees.

I like it because HPCU is waterproof and set-up is much cheaper than refrigeration equipment.

Who will do this for me?

R600a is online now Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Can you explain a bit more?
    What is an HPCU? (High pressure condensing unit?)

Sent from mars using Tapatalk
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Heat pump condenser?
    That makes more sense.

I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.

Post Likes
    heat pump

Post Likes
    This is an intriguing idea.
    How will you take care of condensate?
    Also what humidity are you aiming for or is humidity not important for this application?

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    Why put the condensing unit inside the 40º box? Wouldn't an AH take up less room? And where will all the condensate water go? Onto the floor?

No wait; it's worse than that: a HPCU is not designed to be wet all the time - it generally frosts and defrosts and dries out inbetwen.

And really; the best way to do this would be with a standard refrigeration coil hanging in the box.

And "dumping heat" into a kitchen might be quite the trick to accomplish as these are often near 100º F. in the summertime.

I have a number of times myself (refrigerate with AC equipment) and I've seen it done all over the Caribbean islands. You can run the box very cold and defrost it in a minute by switching the reversing valve. Or . . . you can just use a large evaporator, run a low TD, and not even need to use a heat pump. <g>

PHM
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by timjimbob View Post

Put a outside HPCU inside a walkin cooler box. Put AHU in the Kitchen to dump heat.

Parameters are within range. HPCU will have ambient of 35-40. AHU ambient is 78-80 degrees.

I like it because HPCU is waterproof and set-up is much cheaper than refrigeration equipment.

Who will do this for me?
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    AHU is not designed to operate at 40 ambient. HPCU is designed to be outside at 35 degree weather. Defrost water goes down floor drain. I don't think I can buy refrigeration equipment as cheaply as I can get builder grade HP.

80 degree kitchens are common.

Post Likes
    Like PHM said use the air handler or refrigeration evap with standard refrigeration defrost controls.
    AHU is not designed to operate at 40 ambient. HPCU is designed to be outside at 35 degree weather. Defrost water goes down floor drain. I don't think I can buy refrigeration equipment as cheaply as I can get builder grade HP.

Post Likes
    Why don't you do it? You are a contractor.

Who will do this for me?

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    Post Likes
    That logic escapes me. What about AH design would prevent it from working properly in a 35º ambient temperature?

What you describe can be made to work but it's not how I would go about it.

PHM
    --------

PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    I buy used refrigeration equipment all the time. Quite often it's in new condition from a failed restaurant venture.
    Why even waste time / money reinventing the wheel ?

Post Likes
    I don't see how an air handler is designed to work at a cold 40deg. A HPCU can be hosed down when cooler box is being cleaned.

hpcu

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    I buy used refrigeration equipment all the time. Quite often it's in new condition from a failed restaurant venture.
    Why even waste time / money reinventing the wheel ?
    I just moved this unit today. Probably paid 100.00 and it's never been used.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    Used. My luck it would be three phase.
    Complete HP setup new would cost me $1100. And I can pick it up Saturday without ordering it in.

Post Likes
    The thing you call a heat pump condensing unit is actually going to be an evaporator. The real condenser (the thing you will be putting in the kitchen) is designed to have a return air temperature of about 70°F.

You state that this kitchen will be 80°F? That's pretty good as far as kitchen temps go, but it's pretty horrible for a heat pump air handler. That's right on the ragged edge of where that thing will be able to function without tripping it's high pressure switch (if it has one).

Hey, I just came up with an idea for you. Instead of a "condensing" unit and an air handler, Why not get yourself 2 "condensing" units? One inside of the box and one on the outside. That way you will be good for a kitchen temperature of around 110° or so (and you'll have a spare compressor for "just in case").

Just make sure you have really high ceilings in that kitchen (and inside of the cooler) to avoid recirculation issues.

Great idea!

If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.

16. Likes R600a, Core_d, Chris3701 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Brillant!

So all you would need would be a lead/lag arrangement to alternate compressor operation and have a nice amount of redundancy.

PHM
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by ammoniadog View Post
    The thing you call a heat pump condensing unit is actually going to be an evaporator. The real condenser (the thing you will be putting in the kitchen) is designed to have a return air temperature of about 70°F.

You state that this kitchen will be 80°F? That's pretty good as far as kitchen temps go, but it's pretty horrible for a heat pump air handler. That's right on the ragged edge of where that thing will be able to function without tripping it's high pressure switch (if it has one).

Hey, I just came up with an idea for you. Instead of a "condensing" unit and an air handler, Why not get yourself 2 "condensing" units? One inside of the box and one on the outside. That way you will be good for a kitchen temperature of around 110° or so.

Just make sure you have really high ceilings in that kitchen (and inside of the box) to avoid recirculation issues.

Great idea!

PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    OK; let's do it as you propose.

Let's start with the cooling requirements.

How big is the subject box?

And what size HPCU/system are you going to use?
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    Why not just do it as a straight cool unit? The kitchen is already full of hot air. I'm sure another heat source of 130* won't affect it that much.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    Because he wants the condensing unit inside the walkin box.

Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    Why not just do it as a straight cool unit? The kitchen is already full of hot air. I'm sure another heat source of 130* won't affect it that much.
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    Because he wants the condensing unit inside the walkin box.
    My bad.....
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in