+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sandpan controls?

Post Likes

Sandpan controls?

Hello,

The house we moved into has an old sandpan fireplace upstairs. Unfortunately it is missing the control knob and any instructions. Here is what I have:

(Probably breaking site rules by working around the No Links before 7 posts, but hopefully it can be overlooked as this is a legit post... if you remove the extra spaces from below you can see the fireplace I'm working with)

h ttps://imgur.com/reP0LZL

h ttps://imgur.com/GZqIcaU

I'm assuming that's a pilot with thermocouple at one end, and the valve set at the other end?

On the control valve, the button can be pushed in and slides back out again, but no gas flow. The longer dial (minus knob) can also be pushed in slightly, but does not want to rotate.

Is there anyone with experience enough to clarify operation? I'm guessing the control valve needs to be pushed in and spun to a Pilot position, at which point I'm guessing pressing and holding the button above would enable gas flow to the pilot line for lighting? And once that's lit long enough, the thermocouple would pick up and I could release the button and then rotate the control valve further to send gas to the sand pan?

Or am I way off? If I'm in the ballpark, does anyone have any idea why the control knob won't rotate? Finger-strength is a no go, and I've tried a set of pliers for a little more torque, but obviously I don't want to force the matter.

Thanks for any advice.

Post Likes
    Try Peterson Mfg. They make sand pan units and may be of help if you cannot find an original data plate with a model #.

Perhaps just buying a complete new one might be in order? They are not particularly expensive...
    “A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in