+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Old work box, stud mount??

Post Likes

Old work box, stud mount??

I saw someone use one of these years ago, now I can’t find one. Relative bought a bath wall light to replace a Fluorescent Strip. The Fluoride Strip doesn’t have an Electric Box behind it. The new fixture is too heavy to mount to old work box, that’s just in the Sheet Rock. BTW; the stud just happens to be centered. So I’m good there.

Post Likes

I'd goggle Home Depot or Lowe's.
    Do not attempt vast projects with
    half vast experience and ideas.

Post Likes
    You could use a pancake box and screw it to the stud or they also make a box the has a allowance for the stud and the other half is for the wire.

Post Likes
    Old work box, stud mount??

I've probably been asked stranger questions.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    Doesn't the mount-stud just get added to a standard box?

But why not just install an old-work box wherever it's convenient (and will be covered by the light fixture <g>) and then mount the light fixture itself right to the studs?

PHM
    ----------

Quote Originally Posted by madhat View Post
    I saw someone use one of these years ago, now I can’t find one. Relative bought a bath wall light to replace a Fluorescent Strip. The Fluoride Strip doesn’t have an Electric Box behind it. The new fixture is too heavy to mount to old work box, that’s just in the Sheet Rock. BTW; the stud just happens to be centered. So I’m good there.
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    It only can mount to a box, and the Damn thing is heavy. That’s why I need to attach the box to a Stud, and it needs to be a metal box. Also track built home, so you know it has the cheapest 1/2” sheet rock. I’m I little bit PO’d at her, said I would just look at it, and she started whining about wanting it up today. My knee was already killing me.

Post Likes
    an old work fan-rated box (the kind that tensions itself between two trusses/joists)?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    Whew! That was a close one! There for a second I thought you said that it can only attach to an electrical box! <g>

PHM
    ---------

Quote Originally Posted by madhat View Post
    It only can mount to a box, and the Damn thing is heavy. That’s why I need to attach the box to a Stud, and it needs to be a metal box. Also track built home, so you know it has the cheapest 1/2” sheet rock. I’m I little bit PO’d at her, said I would just look at it, and she started whining about wanting it up today. My knee was already killing me.
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    I found it, was knocking myself on what they were called. They are called a "Madison" Box. Called my electrician friend and I'm going over there tomorrow and poke around in his shop loft, he said he's pretty sure he has a steel Octagonal Madison box. Otherwise it's a heavy duty Plastic Madison box from Amazon. Electric supply house had no idea what I was talking about.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in