+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Lodge - high-end install thread (with pictures)

Post Likes

The Lodge - high-end install thread (with pictures)

I posted the orig. thread in another forum:

https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread...with-pictures)

Feedback welcome.

Please respond to the original thread if you have any comments to post.

Thanks,
    -mark

Post Likes
    I can't respond to the thread since I'm not a Pro, but I would think that the foil tape adhesive joining the sections of bubble wrap on the ducts will eventually fail in an unconditioned attic. I would want all the foil tape on the ducts covered in mastic too. But I'm in Houston and tape by itself just doesn't seem to hold up in unconditioned attics here. Tape then mastic seems to be the best practice here.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jkau121 View Post
    I can't respond to the thread since I'm not a Pro, but I would think that the foil tape adhesive joining the sections of bubble wrap on the ducts will eventually fail in an unconditioned attic. I would want all the foil tape on the ducts covered in mastic too. But I'm in Houston and tape by itself just doesn't seem to hold up in unconditioned attics here. Tape then mastic seems to be the best practice here.
    Agree...

Our local code calls for mastic to totally cover any and all tape joints (and other places)...
    Mastic to be a minimum of 2MM thick (about the thickness of a nickel coin).

Personally... I would have cut one of the braces in the truss and added a couple of braces for strength...
    So I could mount the system vertically... just me...

We see nothing wrong with condensing furnaces in attics, even when the temps go below freezing...
    Simply have some steps one has to follow, to allow the unit to operate properly in that environment.

On the secondary drain of the coil... put a float switch in that hole...
    This all but eliminates the possibility of a condensate overflow in cooling mode.

Oh, and I agree... foaming the bottom of the roof would have been my choice...

Job looks great...
    We rarely see work that good down here in metro Atlanta...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    Also, has there been any independent verification that the Reflextix stuff actually achieves R-8 with the "Big Bubble Duct Insulation R-8.0" installation method?

And R-21 in crawl space?!

https://www.reflectixinc.com/tutoria...wl-space-r-21/

It seems too good to be true.

Post Likes
    hi @mdavis, sorry I'm not a pro so I can't reply to your original thread. Awesome photos, thank you for sharing!

I recently got a 3-ton XV19 installed, but the compressor speed almost never goes below 77%. The 3-ton XV19 is supposed to go as low as 50%.

For me, the speed seems to always start at 80% for 1 minute, then goes to 77% until setpoint is reached, even with just 1 degree of set point change.

I posted in the ask a pro forum but nobody replied with an answer -- wondering if you have any experience with this? Does this sound normal to you?

Post Likes
    If my jurisdiction required mastic on every piece of tape around here, we would just have pookie monster duct systems.

Post Likes
    2019 thread with a late post

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Adlerberts-Protege View Post
    If my jurisdiction required mastic on every piece of tape around here, we would just have pookie monster duct systems.
    Mine does...

Pookie is there to hold the tape in place...

I love to put it on thick... customers think it looks cool...

My helper gets carried away sometimes... paints the entire supply plenum..
    Customer says that looks sharp...

Grin
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in