Thread: Chiller Re-tubing advise

Post Likes

Confused Chiller Re-tubing advise

Hello guys,

Have a client with a 40 year old air cooled chiller. Yes, he does not want to replace this dinosaur !. He rather spend some big bucks rebuilding this equipment.

Well we're having some issues with leaks at evaporator heat exchanger. We tested tubes with Eddie Current and found some weak tubes around 10.
    Checked with Mcquay and the wont like us blocking 10 tubes, they would rather have us replace the chiller... of course there's no replacement for this barrel.

Question : Does anyone of you experienced guys here know of a reputable company where we can send this heat exchanger for re-tubing? A place that won't charge an arm and a leg but still do a good job?

Thanks in advance guys.

Post Likes
    Pretty sure that Mcquay service can replace tubes on site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    10 tubes out of how many? Most chillers I've worked on call 10% of the tubes to be the max. Someone chime in if I'm wrong here.
    We use Greg Martin for re-tubing chillers. They are out of New York but travel everywhere. We re-tubed a 600 ton centrifugal with 7/8" tubes in one 10 hour day.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk
    -----Stop, step back, relax and have another go at it.-----

Post Likes
    https://custofab.com/
    You might give them a call not sure on price.
    Honeywell you can buy better but you cant pay more

I told my wife when i die to sell my fishing stuff for what its worth not what i told her i paid for it

Post Likes
    They don’t want to replace a 40 year old
    Air cooled chiller?....seriously.....

Whatever you do, make as much money as you possibly can.....that decision is retarded.

6. Likes heatingman, dieseldude liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BennyD View Post
    10 tubes out of how many? Most chillers I've worked on call 10% of the tubes to be the max. Someone chime in if I'm wrong here.
    We use Greg Martin for re-tubing chillers. They are out of New York but travel everywhere. We re-tubed a 600 ton centrifugal with 7/8" tubes in one 10 hour day.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk
    That's probably the same outfit that our local Trane office uses. They were guys who used to work for Trane doing this, and then went into business for themselves, if i remember correctly. They are very good. We never considered using anyone else. We never had so much as a hiccup using them. One job even involved replacing the endsheets. Went smooth as silk.
    In honor of RichardL: "Ain't 'None' of us as smart as 'All' of us".

Post Likes
    What Benny said is correct, but I believe it also includes the caveat of no more than 10% per pass. For example, say there are 100 tubes total, 2 passes, with 50 per pass. A total of ten tubes are "allowed" to be plugged, so long as neither pass has no more than 5 plugged.
    In honor of RichardL: "Ain't 'None' of us as smart as 'All' of us".

Post Likes
    The GW Martin guys do top notch work, they re-tube ,chillers ,boilers, heat exchagers...you name it, those guys travel all over the US and overseas sometimes, they do work in ships where they get dropped from a helicopter and stay there for weeks.
    There is not better place for the working men than the union! 100% UA the only HVAC union!

Post Likes

chiller retube

Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    The GW Martin guys do top notch work, they re-tube ,chillers ,boilers, heat exchagers...you name it, those guys travel all over the US and overseas sometimes, they do work in ships where they get dropped from a helicopter and stay there for weeks.
    Do you have a number or point of contact??

Post Likes
    Probably best to replace the evaporator. There are a number of companies making evaps that could be retrofitted. Dx evaporator rarely retubed, poly supports, would have to be cut open.

12. Likes heatingman liked this post.
    Post Likes
    If you listen to the logic some customers have. This chiller lasted 40 years, can be fixed for cheaper than replacement.
    Should it be replaced with one that might last 10 years.
    I understand that in some ways. I have a broken photo printer. A replacement is about $1200. Do I fix or replace. A fix $$ is
    not known because one thing might lead to another. It's a Las Vegas night.

I've had boilers re-tubed. Fairly painless and not too $$$.
    Give me a relay with big enough contacts, and I'll run the world!

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ehsx View Post
    Probably best to replace the evaporator. There are a number of companies making evaps that could be retrofitted. Dx evaporator rarely retubed, poly supports, would have to be cut open.
    Can replace evap with a Standard ref or Provides evap who is providing dx evaps for some current daikin/ mcquay products. Standard was used by McQuay for 3-4 years before they switched to Provides. Later scroll products were changed to brazed plate evaps, they may/may not fit the older style condensers.

Post Likes
    Just replace the whole chiller barrel. Lots of companies that sell compatible barrels, you may have to weld on brackets.