Thread: List of Low Ambient Heat-Pump MFG's?

Post Likes

Post List of Low Ambient Heat-Pump MFG's?

I am looking for a list of manufacturers who make heat-pump equipment that can heat close to or below 0 degrees Fahrenheit (less than 5 tons). So far Mitsubishi and Ducane make this a selling point. I just started this research and I'm not finding much online (separate from going to each MFG website). Can anyone give me a good head start in my research?

Post Likes
    Are you looking mini split or conventional system?

Probably won't find a list of them. I'd say everyone making minis has a model for low temps. Just have to look on websites. And decide if you want some POS or a premium product like Mitsubishi and Fujitsu.

In conventional, some mfrs. are shutting off the units at 0 or just below to avoid tripping the low pressure switch. Of course with conventional your backup will take over.

Post Likes

Most Cost Effective

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Are you looking mini split or conventional system?

Probably won't find a list of them. I'd say everyone making minis has a model for low temps. Just have to look on websites. And decide if you want some POS or a premium product like Mitsubishi and Fujitsu.

In conventional, some mfrs. are shutting off the units at 0 or just below to avoid tripping the low pressure switch. Of course with conventional your backup will take over.

I am looking for the most cost effective. I see mini-spits have them but the are very costly. Conventional system is primarily what I am looking for. But if a mini-split is less expensive for the quality.. then Ill go that route. I have not looked into Fujitsu yet. -jase

Post Likes
    Fujitsu has units that go down to -15 degrees. So do other major ductless manufacturers. With no backup heat and higher SEER/HSPF.

You should take a look at Bosch for conventional systems. Goes down to 5 degrees without backup. But with any conventional system you will need some sort of heat during defrost, which adds to the cost of running the system. Unless you don't mind a cool blast every once in a while.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Post Likes
    Going cheep on a heat pump is a BAD idea?

Post Likes
    You only have 5 conventional system manufacturers and they own 50+ brand names, and I think each manufacturer makes low ambient hps, then there are the minisplit manufacturers. Minis are the wild, wild west, with known quality players like Mitsu, Daikin and Fuji and then a lot of knock offs, made in china with no parts or technical support. If you go conventional you can get it with electric or gas backup, which you will definitely want even if you dont plan to normally use it. A lot of these parts in the super-efficient systems are going to be a couple days out to get the part in my experience and then maybe several days for a qualified tech to come install it. Theres also not going to be any aftermarket parts that will work on a lot of this stuff, so manufacturer's control system must be used. Things to be aware of with this realm of equipment.and why having a back-up heatsource is strongly recommended

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Makeitcold View Post
    You only have 5 conventional system manufacturers and they own 50+ brand names, and I think each manufacturer makes low ambient hps, then there are the minisplit manufacturers. Minis are the wild, wild west, with known quality players like Mitsu, Daikin and Fuji and then a lot of knock offs, made in china with no parts or technical support. If you go conventional you can get it with electric or gas backup, which you will definitely want even if you dont plan to normally use it. A lot of these parts in the super-efficient systems are going to be a couple days out to get the part in my experience and then maybe several days for a qualified tech to come install it. Theres also not going to be any aftermarket parts that will work on a lot of this stuff, so manufacturer's control system must be used. Things to be aware of with this realm of equipment.and why having a back-up heatsource is strongly recommended
    Yes I have been hearing that even the technicians that install these ductless systems cant service it too well. Crazy. Everything you said on this post is what my peers and supply houses are saying. Thanks...

FYI...

Johnson Controls owns/makes:

York
    Luxaire
    Coleman

Ingersoll Rand owns/makes:

American Standard
    Trane

United Technologies Corp. owns/makes:

Carrier
    Bryant
    Payne

International Comfort Products, which owns/makes:
    ComfortMaker
    Arcoaire
    Heil
    KeepRite
    Tempstar

Daikin Global/Daikin Manufacturing Company, L.P. owns/makes:

Daikin
    Goodman
    Amana

Lennox International owns/makes:

Lennox
    Service Experts (Joint venture between: Lennox & Enercare)

ALLIED AIR ENTERPRISES, LLC, which owns/makes:
    Concord
    Armstrong Air
    Ducane
    Aire-flo

Nortek Global HVAC owns/makes:

Frigidaire
    Maytag

Rheem Manufacturing Company owns/makes:

Rheem
    Ruud

Wolf Steel Ltd. owns/makes:

Napoleon
    Continental
    Last edited by jasemase; 10-23-2019 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Spelling

Post Likes
    In ductless minis, only Daikin makes their own, the rest buy from somebody. Mostly Chinese.

Post Likes
    Carrier model GREENSPEED / Bryant model EXTREME
    http://www.heatpumpreview.net/bryant...at-pump-review
    ________ Overspeeds & much more HP.
    ___________________ … HorsePower

ZIP _ _ _ _ _
    ___________ NORTH OF 44'N Latitude __ ?

Is Natural Gas currently available ?
    Will ________ be __________ in the Future ?
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    Nortek Global HVAC owns/makes:

Frigidaire
    Maytag

Intertherm
    Gibson

Westinghouse ?

Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    Ameristar, AirEase, Air Temp, Guardian, GMC, Day Night, oh yea...OXBOX there’s probably easily a dozen more. you can figure out where they go..

Post Likes
    Allied air is owned by Lennox as well

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Makeitcold View Post
    Allied air is owned by Lennox as well
    I think there is a some partnership with Trane/Mitsubishi.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in