+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Goodman schrader valves are unique..

Post Likes

Goodman schrader valves are unique..

What tool do you use to remove valve cores from Goodman resi units? Everyone I talk to says they never saw one. The Goodman dealer said he special ordered one from the factory but couldn't find any information on it.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    They're not totally unique I thought they were unique to American Standard / Trane
    I I'm trying to get a replacement myself for a 2015 American standard package unit the guys at the Trane distributor don't seem to know anything about them either other than the fact that they can order them. They're not even positive whether or not I will have to pump down the system to change it.

Sent from my rotary telephone using Tapatalk
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

Post Likes
    Coremax valve and tool to replace. Valve is around $60 and tool close to $500. I take them out and put regular access valves. My two cents

4. Likes CEAS-AC-TECH liked this post.
    Post Likes
    JB makes the valves.

It is called a core max. You can probably get a pack of 20 for 60 bucks or less.

I would not bother with the removal tool.

Remove the gas and replace the core. It threads out.

Or remove the gas, remove the port segment with pipe and install a standard schrader valve.

Heres what the core looks like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Here is the Goodman part number. I bought two valves incase I ran across them in the field.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Doug

7. Likes Tom Thermo liked this post.
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    I just ordered three through United Refrigeration my self. The price was good although far higher than Schrader valves.

Sent from my rotary telephone using Tapatalk
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.

Post Likes
    The core removal tool is shady to use. It is a quick lock fitting. I would relieve the pressure and replace it.

I prefer cutting them out and replacing with a standard shraider.

They are used because they allow more flow thru them than a standard one. This makes it quicker to go down the assembly line

Post Likes

Goodman schrader valves are unique..

I use accutools high flow vacuum rated core depressors to get around having to remove them to evacuate. Or using the expensive coremax tool

Name:  IMG_7646.jpg
Views: 6125
Size:  190.6 KB

11. Likes gravity liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gravity View Post
    The core removal tool is shady to use. It is a quick lock fitting. I would relieve the pressure and replace it.

I prefer cutting them out and replacing with a standard shraider.

They are used because they allow more flow thru them than a standard one. This makes it quicker to go down the assembly line

This. Chop those stupid things out. They really screwed up the cool kids who used core removal tools and fat hoses to evacuate. Now I have to either bust out my leaky 1/4 hoses with depressors in them, or just chop the valves out.

You could also use core depressor tools and then still use your normal evac set up.
    [B][SIZE=2] CENTER]I no longer identify as a conspiracy theorist. You may now refer to me as “That guy that was always right”.

“What one generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace.”
    ― Definitely said by John Wesley

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulises528 View Post
    I use accutools high flow vacuum rated core depressors to get around having to remove them to evacuate. Or using the expensive coremax tool

Yeah, a couple of these guys.

But if I ever had one that leaked, I'd probably chop it out(if it were on a small enough pipe) and put a regular valve in.
    [B][SIZE=2] CENTER]I no longer identify as a conspiracy theorist. You may now refer to me as “That guy that was always right”.

“What one generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace.”
    ― Definitely said by John Wesley

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulises528 View Post

Whats that goober on the pipe at the base of the CoreMax ports about?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by heatingman View Post
    Whats that goober on the pipe at the base of the CoreMax ports about?

It’s wet rag putty. Just trying to protect the gasket on the high flow cores when brazing in the compressor

16. Likes heatingman liked this post.
    Post Likes
    If the coremax is leaking, you can simply install a swivel tee or adapter over it and save from buying the expensive tool or recovering, brazing a standard schraeder, and evacuating.

Keep in mind, you will no longer be able to use core removal tools to speed evacuation with this setup, but if it's a packaged or small system is it really that critical?

Fast, simple and cheap.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

18. Likes Tom Thermo liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by FrostGiant View Post
    If the coremax is leaking, you can simply install a swivel tee or adapter over it and save from buying the expensive tool or recovering, brazing a standard schraeder, and evacuating.

Keep in mind, you will no longer be able to use core removal tools to speed evacuation with this setup, but if it's a packaged or small system is it really that critical?

Fast, simple and cheap.
    Not if its leaking at the gasket where it screws in

Post Likes
    Thank you everyone, it's nice to know all about the Coremax.

Minneapolis, MN, USA, 651-251-9741 (Direct), 800-444-2373 (Main)
    Post Likes
    Hello all:

I wanted to respond to your questions regarding CoreMax Access Valves. Full disclosure, my name is Tom Braun and I am in charge of product development for FasTest Inc. in Roseville, MN. We are the manufacturer of CoreMax valves and processing tools. You can get information at our website "FasTestinc" or feel free to contact us with any questions. We also distribute our products through JB INDUSTRIES. The CoreMax "Valve" is used by many manufacturers because it has far greater flow capacity and better sealing properties than a typical Shrader valve resulting in faster evacuations and less refrigerant loss after charging. It's not a new product, we've been selling it for years and there are many millions in service it's just not as ubiquitous as are Schrader valves, particularly on smaller systems. If you need information or assistance feel free to contact me or any of our Inside Sales staff at XXXXXXXX Thanks and best regards!

Phone numbers are not allowed on the site. Put your contact info in your profile and direct people there.
    Last edited by Dad; 02-10-2021 at 10:06 AM.

22. Likes ksefan, VTP99 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Re CoreMax, I forgot to mention that in the unlikely event that a CoreMax valve should start to leak we make a "Core Replacement Tool" that allows you to remove and replace the valve core without having to bleed the system down or lose refrigerant. There are a series of YouTube videos detailing this process and they are linked from our website or you can simply search YouTube.

Best regards!

Post Likes
    Coremax fittings suck

25. Likes slctech, m singer liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by GoCougs View Post
    Coremax fittings suck

I don't mind them when they work but when I see them its because they are leaking and at that point they are a pain.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    Last edited by R600a; 02-10-2021 at 01:06 AM.

Post Likes

CoreMax Access Valves

Hi GoCougs and R600a:

GoCougs your comment was that they (CoreMax) suck. If you don't mind I would like to understand what it is about them that makes you say that and compared to what. I'm not trying to be defensive or anything just genuinely trying to understand your situation/experience. Obviously we want to make the highest quality product that is easy to use for not only the manufacturer (be it Goodman, Carrier, Trane, etc. all of whom have used them for many years) but also for the service people that work with them in the field. When I hear someone say "they suck" that's a problem that as a manufacturer who cares about what you, our customer, thinks I want to give you an opportunity to help me/us understand what is happening so that we can make our product, training or whatever better. That is where I'm coming from and I hope that you will help.

A bit more detail on the CoreMax system... CoreMax was designed to provide significantly more flow than a Schrader valve (3 to 5 times more) for faster evacuation and charging in addition to better/more robust sealing performance. It absolutely does that and there is abundant test data verifying it. That's why the manufacturers use them. It has proven to save them significant time on the manufacturing line. Also, the design of the CoreMax has demonstrated them to be more leak tight because there is a metal to metal seal between the valve core. The CoreMax design is quite different than Schrader but it's subltle.

In order to get a leak tight seal it is important that the valve core and seat sealing surfaces be free of contamination and that the valve core be tightened to the proper torque value of 8 ft-lbs! The core tools SCFT10 or SCFT20A have a hex on the end or the TEE handle to which you can attach at torque wrench and we also offer a preset wrench (SCFTM01) that is available for purchase.

CoreMax also features the same SAE 1/4 flare with a 7/16-20 thread that a Schrader fitting typically has so that common refrigeration hoses can easily be connected, i.e. you can evacuate the system or add/remove refrigerant to the system by connecting common refrigerant hoses to the CoreMax valve.

With that said a Schrader core removal tool will not work with CoreMax because the design of the CoreMax is different than Schrader so if you want to remove the CoreMax core for whatever reason you must buy/have one of our tools, either the SCFT10 or SCFT20A tool with the SCFT20A being better suited for field service because you can as I said in my previous post exchange a CoreMax core without losing refrigerant with that tool. The process of replacing a CoreMax core is very similar to how you do it for a Schrader but you need the CoreMax tool, e.g. SCFT20A.

If the factory has its process under control and is not introducing contamination into the seat before the valve core is installed then a good, reliable hermetic seal should be achieved and leakage through the CoreMax should virtually zero indefinitely (As I noted before CoreMax has demonstrated itself to have less leakage than Schrader many times). Also it is recommended that a brass (preferably) or plastic dust cap be screwed onto the CoreMax to protect it from debris/contamination and also provide a secondary back-up seal.

What happens after it leaves the factory is where you as service technicians experience it. Contamination on sealing surfaces is the enemy of and valve regardless of whether it is a CoreMax, a Schrader, a Packed Angle valve, whatever. It is my guess that in the case of CoreMax that when you experience a leaking Core it's due to contamination somehow getting into the sealing area, either from inside the system during evacuation or from outside the system when refrigerant is being added when there was contamination in the top of the CoreMax (or Schrader) that was not blown out before the refrigerant "pushed" it through the valve.

As I said previously, I/we would like to better understand your situation and see if we can change your opinion. We are also happy anytime to provide training or discuss questions you may have and help solve any problems. I/we would like to hear from everyone who has had any issues or would like to give feedback with our CoreMax system!!!
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    I don't mind them when they work but when I see them its because they are leaking and at that point they are a pain.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk

You may put your contact info in your profile, NOT in posts. As per site rules.

Thanks

Mod Team
    Last edited by Special-K; 02-10-2021 at 02:32 PM.

28. Likes Juan Madera liked this post.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in