+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Build Hot Water

Post Likes

New Build Hot Water

Hello, and thanks in advance. Trying to decide on a tankless water heater and a traditional water heater. Home will be small and used by 2 people. All recomendations will be considered when making my final decision later this year. Thanks again for everyones input. Forums have helped me make correct decisions in the past, D

Post Likes
    In one of your other posts you mentioned that you liked "smart tech". Just based on that I think you should go tankless, since they come with a little computer built into them and all kinds of fancy technology.

There are good things to be said about traditional tank type water heaters such as they are more simple, reliable and they cost less to purchase, but they are also boring, and I'd bet that might be a deal breaker for a guy like you.

Good luck!

If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.

Post Likes
    How is the home heated? boiler? Forced air?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Spitz, it will be heated forced air natural gas

Post Likes
    Ok was asking because there are combination appliances. We just installed a few combi boilers and a combi forced air furnace/Water heater. They were all NTI the furnace/Water heater was A NTI GF200. If you dont want to do a tankless there are options for a high efficiency tank water heater. We have done a few Phoenix water heaters by HTP they seen to be a solid unit.

Post Likes
    Basement?

Post Likes
    no basement

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    How is your water quality?
    Hard with minerals?
    High Acid?
    Sulfur?
    Anything like that?

Has a water sample been quality lab tested?

PHM
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by Air? View Post
    Hello, and thanks in advance. Trying to decide on a tankless water heater and a traditional water heater. Home will be small and used by 2 people. All recomendations will be considered when making my final decision later this year. Thanks again for everyones input. Forums have helped me make correct decisions in the past, D
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    PHM, water quality is great. Never had it tested. Tastes great and is less filling..... its not hard water, no sulfur taste or smell, some of the best water in the States here in SC except at the beach! The 50gal water heater I have now is 19 years old with no issues. I have read about tankles, but I am not convinced yet. Thanks for all responses, D

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    Post Likes
    Without water quality issues - I would only install a tankless. It doesn't make sense to me to keep a big tank of water hot Justin Case someone needs it.

PHM
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by Air? View Post
    PHM, water quality is great. Never had it tested. Tastes great and is less filling..... its not hard water, no sulfur taste or smell, some of the best water in the States here in SC except at the beach! The 50gal water heater I have now is 19 years old with no issues. I have read about tankles, but I am not convinced yet. Thanks for all responses, D
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    Thanks Everyone!

Post Likes
    Not Rinnai... Have 3 of the condensing ones and they are the most horrible ones I have ever had to replace a HX on. And Rinnai said that the HX would not be covered as we did not flush the HX with vinegar every 6 months and take the blower off and clean it out. Manual says clean every year...

Not sure who make a service friendly tankless, perhaps some one will chime in with a good experience?

Post Likes
    I have had a non-condensing Tagaki tankless in my house for more than ten years and I have literally never touched it. No flushing; nothing, and it has never missed a beat. I do have really excellent water.

I installed one just like it for a customer one town away and they have had the same experience.

All the other's I have installed have been been condensing Naviens. None, to my knowledge, have ever had any maintenance or repairs done on them and all are still working well.
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    I have had a non-condensing Tagaki tankless in my house for more than ten years and I have literally never touched it. No flushing; nothing, and it has never missed a beat. I do have really excellent water.

I installed one just like it for a customer one town away and they have had the same experience.

All the other's I have installed have been been condensing Naviens. None, to my knowledge, have ever had any maintenance or repairs done on them and all are still working well.
    I'm with mikey, I also have a takagi 80% for 12yrs. Probably 6 years ago I flushed and serviced it and it seemed like a waste of time. They are great. At the end of the day, you probably will not save much money with a condensing unit unless you use tons of water. In my opinion, the added complexity of a condensing tankless does not justify the added cost.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Plus; for me it made zero sense because I added a little plate-frame heat exchanger and a bronze circulator to make 'boiler water' to supply a large water coil in my second floor air return. So: no condensing as the return water is only 20º cooler than the supply.

Wait; I guess that is really another vote for Tagaki as I Really run the poop out of mine - considering that it also heats half my house. <g>

Oh! I forgot - my Tagaki just tempers water from my solar heated tanks. So it would never condense anyway - unless the sun didn't shine for a week. <g>

PHM
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by kangaroogod View Post
    I'm with mikey, I also have a takagi 80% for 12yrs. Probably 6 years ago I flushed and serviced it and it seemed like a waste of time. They are great. At the end of the day, you probably will not save much money with a condensing unit unless you use tons of water. In my opinion, the added complexity of a condensing tankless does not justify the added cost.

PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    Plus; for me it made zero sense because I added a little plate-frame heat exchanger and a bronze circulator to make 'boiler water' to supply a large water coil in my second floor air return. So: no condensing as the return water is only 20º cooler than the supply.

Wait; I guess that is really another vote for Tagaki as I Really run the poop out of mine - considering that it also heats half my house. <g>

Oh! I forgot - my Tagaki just tempers water from my solar heated tanks. So it would never condense anyway - unless the sun didn't shine for a week. <g>

PHM
    ------
    Show off

Post Likes
    What is the point of doing anything if not to show off? Even if it's just to yourself. <g>

Quote Originally Posted by kangaroogod View Post
    Show off

PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    You may want to consider a long term budget as well. Tankless heaters require maintenance. Also, they seem to break down often.

Post Likes
    Without water quality issues - I would only install a tankless. It doesn't make sense to me to keep a big tank of water hot Justin Case someone needs it.

PHM
    --------
    PHM, the only time a tank water heater matters is, in a zombie apocalypse, once everyone leaves the area, go and turn off all of the main shut offs to the homes so you don't back feed into the main supply and you'll have plenty of drinking water for a while, outside of that, tankless is the way to go.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in