+ Reply to Thread

Thread: squirmy tires.

Post Likes

squirmy tires.

just got new tires on back of van. first time I drove it that night to call was almost undrivable.
    going around curves on secondary road I've been down number times, ad to reduce speed about 10 mph, and still back of van was walking all over, and the traction light was coming on constatly, even the brakes in back were pulsing occasionally.

got to site and tires are 80#, but door frame shows 80#. I've had the tires at 65 and they wore even and drove well.

Previous chevy van had same issue, only the shop overinflated due to paradigm paralysis instead of using door specs.

I lowered the psi to 70 and its much better, still squirmy and light comes on in curves.can feel its weird.

maybe the shelving mods didn't set the right pressures when mods (shelving) addded to vehicle?

neither I nor the computer like it now, any idea why its so bad at spec settings?
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Mn the state where absolutey nothing is allowed
    Post Likes
    once i got a full set of "squirmy" tires as you call'm. thought the lugs were loose. nope the shop guy says, youll get used to them he says.

well i did get used to them and with wear they firmed up, but i will say they were the best snow and ice tires i ever had. was a soft rubber compound and the traction in winter was great.
    my boss thinks its possible to repeal the laws of physics

Post Likes
    wrong tires. substitutes are not acceptable in some cases.
    get them changed. not sickens worse than the side of a van laying on it's side!
    remember, with electronics; when its brown,its cooking and when its black, its done!!!

Post Likes
    Yep , I got some squirmy tires about 10 years ago

Dont know what was wrong with them , maybe the side walls are made weaker ?

I went right back and complained. They tried to give the the ol ..." they are used now ".... which pissed me off !

If a garage stocks crappy off brand tires and offers to sell them because they are cheaper , the garage needs to warn you first they don't ride the same ! My truck wasnt dangerous to drive before I came in ! Now it is !

I said ok heres what we do .... sign this piece of paper acknowledging Ive complained that my truck weaves back n fourth potentially harming someone after you worked on it , and theres a bank right across the street with a Notary who I bet would be willing to stamp it

Switched to a better brand and was back to normal
    Last edited by Snapperhead; 08-28-2019 at 05:31 AM.

Post Likes
    Check the pressure in the front. They might have cranked them up when they did the back.

Post Likes
    Aggressive treads will cause that as well. Did they balance the tires?
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    What kind of tires, and what load rating?
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

8. Likes Metalman0880 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Bought a set of 4 Nokian Hakkapeliitta and the are squirrily on rain grooved concrete. Much more that the prior set of Generals. Both brands are killer tires in snow and ice.

Might need to install a set of 4 to get the computer to shut up as they are likely different diameters front to rear.

Post Likes
    I got a set on a passenger car, could tell the difference right away. The ride was softer but the car did not handle like it had prior. I took it back and they switched no problem. They told me that most drivers would not notice the difference. Ha.

Post Likes
    thing is both vans wer4e always like this w new tires at "full/proper" inflation. reducing pressure fixed issue. always wore even, no blow outs or other issues.

could be softer rubber, but have never on any vehicle I've driven seen this. Last set of tires I had at 65#, door frame says 80. front tires are presently at 45#, back at 70 and drives much better. can still feel the movement in back in curves.
    Before I had to reduce speed 10-15 below speed limit on seconadry road to keep on the road.

agree on taking back to shop. theres a good test road mile from shop can can test at full psi and see what its like to drive.

Post Likes
    Correct tire inflation is based on the total weight of the vehicle, and 80 PSI might only make sense if your van is loaded up to max capacity. Less weight, lower tire pressure.

I got some expensive summer tires to replace the all-seasons on my personal fast car, and noticed that going over a bump while in a sweeping curve would cause the car to jump sideways instead of sticking to the pavement. However, I realized that when I slowed down enough to prevent the squirminess, I was still going faster than when I previously was using the all-season tires.

Post Likes
    Might want to check your sway bar links.
    Vacuum Technology:
    CRUD = Contamination Resulting in Undesirable Deposits.
    CRAPP = Contamination Resulting in Additional Partial Pressure.

Change your vacuum pump oil now.

Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

Post Likes
    I’m assuming this is a 3/4 ton or greater. Are you sure they are load e tires? If not they are wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Likes heatingman liked this post.
    Post Likes
    will have to look into load rating thing as well.

17. Likes heatingman liked this post.
    Post Likes
    What "ply" are they?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TechmanTerry View Post
    What "ply" are they?
    Load e should be a 10 or 8 ply tire I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Had a pressure gauge that was way off before too. Over inflated

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in