Thread: Help!

Post Likes

Exclamation Help!

I purchased a home and noticed the furnace was missing its external filter rack. The filter that was in place was the correct size but since there was no rack im looking at a 3/4 inch gap so there is no seal. I cannot find a filter rack that is the same size as the opening. It would have been 16x16x1-1/2 in. The furnace is a Conquest 90, vertical with the filter on the side. Cant find anything on the company or any way to buy their parts. I tried looking for air filters that would fit the entire gap but none are made that are 1-1/2 in thick.

Iv resorted to just using the 1 inch filter and then covering up the filter and gap with gorilla tape.

Anyone know anything about Conquest furnaces or where I could buy a custom sized filter rack?
    Or is what i did sufficient enough?

Thanks a lot to anyone that can help me out.

Post Likes
    I'm confused. The rack that the filter slides into is 1 1/2" wide?

If so, doesn't the filter that's in there now sealnup against the furnace side of the rack when the fan is going? So the gap you are talking about is the space not taken up by the filter on the non air handler side when the filter is sucked up to the unit?

But all the air going into the furnace is going through the filter, right? Even before you taped it up?

Basically, is any air being pulled into the air handler that doesn't go through the filer first?

Post Likes
    One inch filter racks are made by the installers or return boots are purchased from a supply house. It's not a conquest part. With that said 16x16 is mighty small. I'd want at a minimum a 16x25 on a 40,000 BTU furnace . BTW the extra width in the rail is to help you get ahold of the filter to pull it out.

Post Likes

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by martyinlincoln View Post
    One inch filter racks are made by the installers or return boots are purchased from a supply house. It's not a conquest part. With that said 16x16 is mighty small. I'd want at a minimum a 16x25 on a 40,000 BTU furnace . BTW the extra width in the rail is to help you get ahold of the filter to pull it out.
    Thank you so much! That explains why I couldnt find anything from conquest. Helped alot, I really appreciate it!

Post Likes
    All the air going into the furnace is going through the filter. No air is being pulled into the air handler without first going through the filter. The gap is on the other side of the filter. I was basically just concerned that the filter space wasn't air tight. But if all of the air is going through the filter first then it shouldn't matter right?
    Sorry I did poor job at explaining it.

Post Likes
    martyinlincoln,

All the air going into the furnace is going through the filter. No air is being pulled into the air handler without first going through the filter. The gap is on the other side of the filter. I was basically just concerned that the filter space wasn't air tight. But if all of the air is going through the filter first then it shouldn't matter right?
    Sorry I did poor job at explaining it.

Post Likes
    Yes it sounds fine.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in