+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duplex receptacle orientation code ?

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes

Duplex receptacle orientation code ?

With a standard grounded 15 or 20 amp receptacle - does the NEC specify the orientation of the ground portion? Does it have to be up? Does it have to be down?

If it does: what is the section of the NEC which addresses this issue?
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    Now a days I see them all ground up. Where as back in the day it was vise versa.
    I came to the conclusion that if a spatula slid down the wall it would hit the ground first.

Post Likes
    I've got a touch of OCD in me. Nothing too medical, it's just a hunch of mine.

Outlets need to be installed with the ground down. You'll never see an outlet with the ground up in my house.

On a bit of a tangent, did I ever tell you of the time I was a child of maybe 10, and I intentionally dropped a penny on the hot legs of a plug that wasn't all the way in? Oh yeah, got to meet mister sparky . . . LOL
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    Post Likes
    I find the ground-up orientation disturbing to look at. Although ground-down does look like an annoyed Frenchman's face. Still; I find that a far more acceptable appearance.

I have heard many times that ground-up is safer as a thin metal object sliding between a plug and a ground-down receptacle could produce a short and fire hazard - whereas a ground-up orientation would present the ground first and so prevent the short.

This "logic" is ridiculous as most plugs do not have a ground prong and so the H and N prongs would be equally accessible for short circuiting in either receptacle orientation.

But: none of that addresses my question. Which is: Does The NEC specifically address receptacle orientation?

PHM
    ----------------

Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    Now a days I see them all ground up. Where as back in the day it was vise versa.
    I came to the conclusion that if a spatula slide down the wall it would hit the ground first.
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    Our University design standards require ground up. This is said to prevent things like paperclips or other metal objects from sliding down the wall and arcing. Legit concern in an office environment I guess.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    I find the ground-up orientation disturbing to look at. Although ground-down does look like an annoyed Frenchman's face. Still; I find that a far more acceptable appearance.

I have heard many times that ground-up is safer as a thin metal object sliding between a plug and a ground-down receptacle could produce a short and fire hazard - whereas a ground-up orientation would present the ground first and so prevent the short.

This "logic" is ridiculous as most plugs do not have a ground prong and so the H and N prongs would be equally accessible for short circuiting in either receptacle orientation.

But: none of that addresses my question. Which is: Does The NEC specifically address receptacle orientation?

PHM
    ----------------
    No there is no NEC code for orientation.
    NEC Article 406

Post Likes
    I have never installed one ground up and never will. A long time back I checked the NEC and never found a requirement for up or down. To me up looks wrong no matter what any code may say.
    No man can be both ignorant and free.
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    Saw a commercial last week and they showed an outlet in the top surface of a counter top. that is a code violation. You can still put outlets in a floor, but need a cap to seal when not in use.

Only seen a few that were on bottom of surface, like garage door opener or under a baywindow outside (weird place for one, but out of weather)

never heard of an orientation requirement, even on a range or dryer outlet. Problem there is there is no standard for where the bumpout space on the back of a range is located, so a range may not push against wall when you replace it w new.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by billygoat22 View Post
    Saw a commercial last week and they showed an outlet in the top surface of a counter top. that is a code violation.
    That is correct.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Likes
    Put the question to Mike Holt. On this forum, I look to Timebuilder for answers to these types of questions. And whatever he says, I do not question. Above Timebuilder, is Mike Holt. That's where the answers are.

Post Likes
    Behind electric stoves I install a 'fire block' between the wall studs at 13" up from the floor and leave the space below the block open. Then I mount the stove receptacle to the side of the wall stud which is closest to the center of the stove-space.

That way any stove will fit flush to the wall behind it.

PHM
    ---------

Quote Originally Posted by billygoat22 View Post
    . . . . there is no standard for where the bumpout space on the back of a range is located, so a range may not push against wall when you replace it w new.
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    I cannot stand to see them ground up

Some cords have to loop up and hang over backwards when they put them like that

13. Likes UmmScott liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I've noticed that flat plugs w ground have the cord on the ground pin side, so if the ground is down, wire lays flat. if ground is up, the cord comes out top and droops over, pulling on the plug rather than hanging straight down.

Post Likes
    How about when they made the red light green light change on MCC panels?

That both confused me and pissed me off at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by MPeterson21 View Post
    In my 10 years as an Electrician all I've ever heard is people trying to come up with clever explanations to accommodate their OCD on receptacle orientation. There is nothing in code except on counters. Just accept it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    OCD is just a created / applied label for the quite natural human tendency to attempt to simplify one's world. Forming a habit to do something exactly the same way frees up brain power as you don't have to critically assess habitual items each time.

This happens in thought processes all the time - hence my signature line. <g>

Quote Originally Posted by MPeterson21 View Post
    What is very stupid about that change is power plants use red in the opposite of green in general industry (NFPA 79). It's all an ego thing.

I really hate standards that aren't really standards. When I train apprentices I continually tell myself to leave my OCD at home but explain why some people do things one way or another.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    I've seen it go the other way, give some leeway and people go with "the laziest way"

Post Likes
    The NEC does not specify up/down orientation for 15A & 20A receptacles, it is purely job specs or personal preference, anyone who says one way is the correct way & the other is not, is wrong. NEC code committees have refused to touch the issue, and professional electricians forums will lock topics posted about ground up/down.

30A & 50A receptacles for electric dryers & ranges need to be mounted ground prong up (3-wire dryer or range receptacles would be mounted neutral prong up since they are non-grounding dual voltage devices) to accommodate the right angle plugs molded on the cord, it just screams ignorance when a receptacle was mounted incorrectly. Canada requires them to be mounted sideways in a very specific location behind the appliance.

Post Likes
    Ground is always down. I am right.

Anyone who install an outlet upside down, will find it proper the next time they see it.

Quote Originally Posted by norcal01 View Post
    The NEC does not specify up/down orientation for 15A & 20A receptacles, it is purely job specs or personal preference, anyone who says one way is the correct way & the other is not, is wrong. NEC code committees have refused to touch the issue, and professional electricians forums will lock topics posted about ground up/down.

30A & 50A receptacles for electric dryers & ranges need to be mounted ground prong up (3-wire dryer or range receptacles would be mounted neutral prong up since they are non-grounding dual voltage devices) to accommodate the right angle plugs molded on the cord, it just screams ignorance when a receptacle was mounted incorrectly. Canada requires them to be mounted sideways in a very specific location behind the appliance.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    I've got a touch of OCD in me. Nothing too medical, it's just a hunch of mine.

Outlets need to be installed with the ground down. You'll never see an outlet with the ground up in my house.

On a bit of a tangent, did I ever tell you of the time I was a child of maybe 10, and I intentionally dropped a penny on the hot legs of a plug that wasn't all the way in? Oh yeah, got to meet mister sparky . . . LOL

Ground down here too, ... And, when You saw "Sparky", did ya hear the Bee Gees wailing "Stayin' Alivvvvvvvvvve!!!!"?

I can remember back in he early 60s, when We were puttiing up a Xmas tree, & my Dad wanted to test the lights, ... I don't know why,... May be "the Devil made me do it"? But I saw a light that didn't have a bulb in the socket, so I put my finger in there. It was exhilarating!!!!
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.

"You've got to Stand for Something or You'll fall for anything" (A. Tippin)

Mat_15:24 But he answered, “I wasn’t sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    That is correct.
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.

"You've got to Stand for Something or You'll fall for anything" (A. Tippin)

Mat_15:24 But he answered, “I wasn’t sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in