Thread: GFCI breaker + receptacles?

Post Likes

GFCI breaker + receptacles?

Quick question guys. I am not a licensed electrician but I do electrical work on the side, I'm a mechanical engineer by trade. I came across a minor issue on a job I did recently and I'm trying to determine the cause. My question is this: if you have a GFCI breaker installed (15A) is it OK to have GFCI receptacles installed on that circuit or could it potentially cause problems (as in one or the other tripping)? I understand that doing this isn't necessary and is a waste of money, but would it hurt?

Thanks

2. Likes Galt liked this post.
    Dislikes strogen disliked this post.
    Post Likes
    you can connect gfcis in series but it does not add really any additional protection, and they can trip randomly

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gillmanjr View Post
    Quick question guys. I am not a licensed electrician but I do electrical work on the side, I'm a mechanical engineer by trade. I came across a minor issue on a job I did recently and I'm trying to determine the cause. My question is this: if you have a GFCI breaker installed (15A) is it OK to have GFCI receptacles installed on that circuit or could it potentially cause problems (as in one or the other tripping)? I understand that doing this isn't necessary and is a waste of money, but would it hurt?

Thanks
    What is the minor issue?
    After you learn refrigeration, fixing an A/C is like a walk in a park under shade trees

Post Likes
    whoa.... I'm little late to the party
    After you learn refrigeration, fixing an A/C is like a walk in a park under shade trees

6. Likes R600a liked this post.