Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Insulating ref piping

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by coolerik View Post
    I like how you piped in that tee.. after the trap, yet still fully functional.. I probably would have tried to tie in before the trap somehow, only complicating things.. good job! True fridge mechanic work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I must admit, I did not do the refrig piping. The piping is 20+ years old, I was just fixing the insulation that was leaking onto the box

Post Likes
    Old guys knew how to pipe it correctly.. its a lost art! Obviously being 20yo there is no oil return problems.. probably still running the original compressor

Post Likes
    Thats craftsmanship, dont know where I heard it but, I did hear there are no small jobs only small people. Ive often taken that to heart and into practice but now I feel so ashamed of all the armaflex ive butchered to date...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by shellkamp View Post
    Awesome. Just ordered it, thanks.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
    A link for a kerf saw.

Zona 35-550 Fine Razor Saw, 42 TPI.010-Inch Kerf, Blade Length 6-1/2-Inch, Cut Depth 1-3/16-Inch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BRESQY..._EdYbDb8WMRY4G

Post Likes
    I use scissors or my tin snips never tried a kerf saw. Will give that a go next time.

Post Likes
    I bought the lineset tape a few weeks ago. Its horrible! If you really have to tape it use the thick 1-1/2 electrical tape from capitol Tristate or put a small amount of arms flex glue on the back of foam tape. That works waaaaayyyy better

Post Likes
    Ive never seen such nice armaflex work though. Good job dude

8. Likes GoCougs liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by knave View Post
    A link for a kerf saw.

Zona 35-550 Fine Razor Saw, 42 TPI.010-Inch Kerf, Blade Length 6-1/2-Inch, Cut Depth 1-3/16-Inch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BRESQY..._EdYbDb8WMRY4G
    I tried it out yesterday - it does an awesome job!

Now I just need to practice the rest of the insulation process. :Grin:

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by GoCougs View Post
    For some weird reason I enjoy insulating haha. Nothing special but I really appreciate how much better mitered fittings work rather than just sliding it over, where it can pinch and ice up on freezer suction lines. I didnt do the liquid line, I was just fixing the suction.

An excellent example of how it's done by the book.

For those who need one, here's the book: https://icemeister.net/backroom/wp-c...anual-2017.pdf

11. Likes GoCougs liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Pres1227 View Post
    I bought the lineset tape a few weeks ago. Its horrible! If you really have to tape it use the thick 1-1/2 electrical tape from capitol Tristate or put a small amount of arms flex glue on the back of foam tape. That works waaaaayyyy better
    That type tape is more for uv protection on AC. I only use it outdoors. It's not my favorite but stands up pretty well in direct sunlight.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by shellkamp View Post
    I tried it out yesterday - it does an awesome job!

Now I just need to practice the rest of the insulation process. :Grin:

My buddy is a self employed semi-retired commercial installer. He's been doing this stuff for 40nyears.hes used one of those knives forever. I used to laugh at it because they are so cheap looking. His were beat up looking. Then one day the supply house gave me one because I ordered a ton of insulation.

Yeah, they are great for cutting Armaflex. Much better than anything else I've tried. I apologized to him.

Post Likes
    For some weird reason I enjoy insulating haha. Nothing special but I really appreciate how much better mitered fittings work rather than just sliding it over, where it can pinch and ice up on freezer suction lines. I didnt do the liquid line, I was just fixing the suction.

Great job, BTW. I couldn't make it look that nice if you gave me all day.

Post Likes
    Looks great!

I highly recommend not using any tape. Cut and glue it properly. I also hate split tail. I use the slide over. Tape on rubatex looks disgusting

16. Likes GoCougs liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Thats a big emotional negatory for me

The stuff I tore off had a combination or poor glueing techniques and black duct tape over that. Once water gets between the insulation and the pipe its going downhill from there. The armaflex manual says that if you want you can put a wrap of tape around the joints after theyve been properly glued. Theres no way taping it will make the airtight seal you need.

Armacell even recommends glueing the insulation to the pipe at intervals, so that if a section gets infiltrated it doesnt ruin everything.

Tape might be a great solution for resi AC but no way in commercial refrigeration.

Not sure if you are still on here, but I was wondering what water between pipe and insulation on suction line could do to a residential system? What are the differences between commercial refrigeration and residential ac in regards to this?

R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by PortalKeeper View Post
    Not sure if you are still on here, but I was wondering what water between pipe and insulation on suction line could do to a residential system? What are the differences between commercial refrigeration and residential ac in regards to this?
    I believe he's still around it looks like he hasn't been active in a few days.
    I've seen moisture get inside the insulation so bad when I cut it to remove it water gushes out all over the place and the copper is always severely corroded although I've never found one leaking because of it but I'm terrible at finding leaks so that doesn't really mean anything.
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    I believe he's still around it looks like he hasn't been active in a few days.
    I've seen moisture get inside the insulation so bad when I cut it to remove it water gushes out all over the place and the copper is always severely corroded although I've never found one leaking because of it but I'm terrible at finding leaks so that doesn't really mean anything.
    What do you do to prevent moisture such as rain water from getting in between the pipe and insulation during an install? I don’t want to use any line set tape.

Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    What do you do to prevent moisture such as rain water from getting in between the pipe and insulation during an install? I dont want to use any line set tape.
    I actually found a new tape that is special UV resistant film tape that I wrap the outside of the insulation with but just sealing the outside won't keep moisture out you have to also seal the ends of the insulation to the pipe I usually use silicone for that. Basically the insulation has to be totally sealed one end all the way to the other or it will get condensation inside because it's cold and the ambient humidity is above the dew point of the pipe much of the year.
    Really my tape is the hack way to do it and as he posted earlier in the thread you really need to glue it.
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    I actually found a new tape that is special UV resistant film tape that I wrap the outside of the insulation with but just sealing the outside won't keep moisture out you have to also seal the ends of the insulation to the pipe I usually use silicone for that. Basically the insulation has to be totally sealed one end all the way to the other or it will get condensation inside because it's cold and the ambient humidity is above the dew point of the pipe much of the year.
    Really my tape is the hack way to do it and as he posted earlier in the thread you really need to glue it.
    If the line set is already covered with insulation though, then would you just glue the outside end (if indoor coil is in conditioned space) to the pipe or do you think silicone would provide a better water seal?

Post Likes
    If the line set is already covered with insulation though, then would you just glue the outside end (if indoor coil is in conditioned space) to the pipe or do you think silicone would provide a better water seal?
    Glue is what the insulation manufacturer recommends so it should be great but seal both ends. I usually have silicone in my tool bag and not glue so I just use it.

23. Likes PortalKeeper liked this post.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12