Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Outdoor water barrels leak at spigot

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    4
    Post Likes

    Outdoor water barrels leak at spigot

    Hi,

    I'm by no means a pro and have limited experience with plumbing, but I'm game to try simple things myself.

    I have some outdoor water barrels (250 l each) that collect rain water from my shed and house. I used plastic spigots with rubber seals on the inside and outside of the barrels. They work fine at first but invariably leak at the spigot after a year or so.

    It seems to me that the friction caused by turing the spigot when opening & closing it lossens the seals. It also seems like the seals deteriortate (start cracking) much sooner than I expected them to. Both of these issues (cracking and seal loosening) seem to be the culprits.

    I've changed the seals a couple of times but it's always the same story. Here's what I'm thinking but I'm very open to and appreciative of suggestions:

    Trying brass spigots instead of plastic
    Seeing if there is a better kind of seal (galnavized rubber?) - the ones I've used are sold at my local Home depot equivalent as being for outside, but maybe there is a higher quaility
    I've read about using a marine sealant around the spigot


    I'm not sure what combo of the above - or what other ideas I'm not ware of - might be best moving forward.

    Thanks for any ideas.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,604
    Post Likes
    Gorilla Glue 100% Silicone. Using Fine Sandpaper, roughen up the plastic surfaces. Clean with Isopropyl Alcohol. Apply the Silicone where the Gasket used to be. Tighten everything down, I used a loop of Dental Floss to position the nut on the inside, of the closed top barrel. Used this on my RO/DI and Salt Mixing barrels for my Saltwater Aquarium. BTW Only use Gorilla Glue 100% Silicone, not others, it will stick to the plastic. Plastic to Plastic it takes longer to dry than label dry times.

  3. Likes rhythmo liked this post.
  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    4
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by madhat View Post
    Gorilla Glue 100% Silicone. Using Fine Sandpaper, roughen up the plastic surfaces. Clean with Isopropyl Alcohol. Apply the Silicone where the Gasket used to be. Tighten everything down, I used a loop of Dental Floss to position the nut on the inside, of the closed top barrel. Used this on my RO/DI and Salt Mixing barrels for my Saltwater Aquarium. BTW Only use Gorilla Glue 100% Silicone, not others, it will stick to the plastic. Plastic to Plastic it takes longer to dry than label dry times.
    Thank you! I'm in Germany - I hope I can get the Gorilla Glue here. No other 100% silicone glue will work? So far I'm not seeing Gorilla Glue but others that say they are for plastics. I am planning to saw the tops of the closed barrels as I never have any luck threading as you described. Thanks again.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    2,014
    Post Likes
    Change washer material go to a silicone rubber or Viton. If you can't find them in the hardware store order some from internet they are not expensive. I'm not a fan of plastic valves especially outside the UV causes them to age more quickly in my experience, stay with Brass/Bronze when possible

  6. Likes rhythmo liked this post.
  7. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    4
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Answer-Man View Post
    Change washer material go to a silicone rubber or Viton. If you can't find them in the hardware store order some from internet they are not expensive. I'm not a fan of plastic valves especially outside the UV causes them to age more quickly in my experience, stay with Brass/Bronze when possible
    Thank you so much for the advice. I'm new to this so just to recap:

    • silicone rubber or Viton washers
    • Brass/Bronze spigots (valves)
    • 100% silicone glue or other glue made for plastic


    This ought to do it, correct?
    Thanks again

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,604
    Post Likes
    I’ve been trying to Find Silicone Washers for my Glass Vessel Sink Drains. So if anyone knows a source, please let me know. Some off the Lowe’s have an assortment, but none are the correct size. Tried to cut them out of a Silicone Solder Mat with a Punch Set, but couldn’t get a clean cut.

  9. Likes rhythmo liked this post.
  10. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    4
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by madhat View Post
    I’ve been trying to Find Silicone Washers for my Glass Vessel Sink Drains. So if anyone knows a source, please let me know. Some off the Lowe’s have an assortment, but none are the correct size. Tried to cut them out of a Silicone Solder Mat with a Punch Set, but couldn’t get a clean cut.
    As I wrote above, I'm in Germany, not sure if they'll deliver to the states (or if it's worth the extra shipping cost) but Amazon here seems to have a selection.

    The forum won't let me post a link but go to amazon.de and search for: silikon Unterlegscheiben

    Maybe try a closer amazon (or other) source - Canada?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •