Thread: information for newby on flaring and swaging tools

Post Likes

Confused information for newby on flaring and swaging tools

Hi,

I am a sparky who is training to get my hvac/refrig licence and was looking for suggestions for a good flare and swage tool from people who have been in the business for years. I work in the supermarket style of refrig work.

cheers

Post Likes
    I'm a fan of the spin flare and swadging tools.
    Haven't had a leak yet from the spin flare tool yet.

Post Likes
    I personally use the spin type with block. Ive heard guys complain of not having enough room to spin the handle but I havent had many issues.

If you have the extra money there is one made by hilmar I believe that has a gun type flaring and swedging tool. It expands the end of the piping with whatever attachment piece you want.

Looked awesome but more expensive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Will you be using soft or hard copper ?

Post Likes
    For swedging I use the Rigid expander

For flares Imperial Eastman

Post Likes
    Buy an orbital flare only! If you have the money I would suggest hilmor compact sewage kit as well

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    Will you be using soft or hard copper ?
    I didnt think you could work hard copper without first annealing it so technically isnt it all soft copper?

Quickly, I must hurry, for there go my people and I am their leader!

Post Likes

Smile imperial

Quote Originally Posted by sparkofrizzy View Post
    Hi,

I am a sparky who is training to get my hvac/refrig licence and was looking for suggestions for a good flare and swage tool from people who have been in the business for years. I work in the supermarket style of refrig work.

cheers
    Imperial brand is best copper working tools in the business.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
    I didn’t think you could work hard copper without first annealing it so technically isn’t it all soft copper?

You can bend hard drawn copper with the correct bender.
    I'm not sure on the swedging though never tried that.

Post Likes
    For swaging copper tubing I had a hydraulic tube expander bought from Ebay. Recently I had a chance to use it and I love it. It's very easy to operate it, saving you time to look for your copper couplings lol
    Last edited by kdang; 04-21-2019 at 12:11 AM.

Post Likes
    My Navac battery operated flaring tool arrived yesterday so I had to make some flares immediately. WOW! We have a big mini-split job coming up so I could justify the cost.

I don’t like my Hilmor flaring tool as it takes great care to properly align everything. My old Ridgid was easy to use but the clutch got so worn it had to be reset after every turn of the handle.
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

Site member map HERE!

Post Likes
    I have the cps flaring tool and its awesome . Has two separate handles and also option to hook up ur drill to it which if u have the malco 1/4 5/16 dual chuck it fits right into it. Can flare a 4 zone mini condenser in less than 10 minutes. I use the hilmor hydraulic swager and have never had an issue with it. If u are swaging smaller lines Im particularly 3/8 u just have to swage half way (8-10 pulls) release and turn slightly and finish swage to keep from splitting the line

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TCS1 View Post
    I would suggest hilmor compact sewage kit as well
    They make plumbing tools, too?
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

Site member map HERE!

Post Likes
    Rothenberger makes awesome HVAC tools.

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I have used my hilmor hydraulic swager on type L copper plumbing pipe for a hydronic baseboard job by annealling the end of the pipe. Just get it red hot and quench it in water. Instant soft copper.

Post Likes
    I still have my trusty Imperial Eastman Flare Block & Yoke from 1969,and a small IMP tubing cutter.