View Poll Results: Should we now add the following forums?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Add Open Residential Refrigeratioin?

3 9.09%
  • Add Open Residential Applicances?

4 12.12%
  • Add Pro Residential Refrigeration?

19 57.58%
  • Add Pro Residential Appliances?

24 72.73%
  • Leave things the way they are.

4 12.12%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Should we now add the following forums?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    There is always the possibility of folks sharing what they learned by fixing their own stuff...
    And to keep it from promoting DIY... it has to be in the PRO section.

So tell me...
    What is wrong with a private forum where we help each other with our personal stuff???
    Nothing wrong with it, ide help you to best of my ability if i felt i could be of help. Just saying we need new talent on that field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Core_d View Post
    Nothing wrong with it, ide help you to best of my ability if i felt i could be of help. Just saying we need new talent on that field.

It may very well be...
    That in this new world of dog-eat dog...

Us HVAC/R pro's can stick together and help each other...
    Rather than let each other be taken by someone else (what goes around, comes around... )
    Besides... who knows... we may well get a new PRO member, who used to be an appliance guy... and knows lots and is willing to share it...

Never know... until one steps out and asks...
    Grin
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

3. Likes thatguy liked this post.
    Post Likes
    With respect to resi appliance. They change appreance & features and parts go obsolete so fast, that if it's more than 4-5 years old you can't get parts to fix them. Many times the repair approaches the cost of a new replacement.

There is a place in our business for repairing resi appliances but it get's expensive fast. Just as an example, I did have one customer that had a problem with the refrigerator. He said fix it no matter the cost. I said do you want to put a limit on it, I did throw out some $$ numbers. He said no you don't understand. When we bought this is was matching to the dishwasher, stove, microwave and trash compactor. Even if the repair cost is more than a new fridge you will still save me money. The finish (Brushed Stainless) is obsolete and we have looked there are no replacements that match. My wife said repair that one or we are buying everything new so they match. Repair ended up being about 80% of new comparable unit.

Similar would apply to special or custom built ins. But a "plain jane" 18-24 cuft refer with ice maker that cost less than a grand most times its just not economical to repair. I have repaired some stoves and dishwashers the control boards if you can find a replacement cost more than 1/2 the cost of a new one

Post Likes
    How about a Pro forum on Refrigerants and or EPA regulations. There are lot of changes coming up required by our "friendly" EPA and different manufactures are planning on using different refrigerants and more complex controls to meet the new requirements on different types of AC units.

The cost of refrigerants and equipment will also be going up big time accordingly. This all will be going down Jan 1, 2023. Thank you very much

https://www.achrnews.com/articles/14...ent-for-r-410a
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."

"I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Sen. Barry Goldwater

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by glennac View Post
    How about a Pro forum on Refrigerants and or EPA regulations. There are lot of changes coming up required by our "friendly" EPA and different manufactures are planning on using different refrigerants and more complex controls to meet the new requirements on different types of AC units.

The cost of refrigerants and equipment will also be going up big time accordingly. This all will be going down Jan 1, 2023. Thank you very much

GA likes this idea...
    Carrier said they are going R454B... however if I remember... Trane may go a different route...
    It is quite possible a resi guy may need to carry 3-4-5 flavors in their van... just to service what is out there.
    Be good to know... and have a place to go research!
    GA-HVAC-Tech

*The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by glennac View Post

I vote yes on this one. Think I heard some new regulations went in the first of this year, but I do not have a clue what they are. Maybe something about record-keeping, I think?
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Well, zippity doo dah, that was FAST !!

Quote Originally Posted by Dad View Post

Post Likes
    If I can figure out how to get it uploaded I have the final ruling document the EPA pulished in late 2017 for 608 and 609, all 403 pages of it. it's a real page turner, I use for nights I have trouble going to sleep

Post Likes
    Right now, I just have this one question:

https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread...9#post25704249

Quote Originally Posted by Answer-Man View Post
    If I can figure out how to get it uploaded I have the final ruling document the EPA pulished in late 2017 for 608 and 609, all 403 pages of it. it's a real page turner, I use for nights I have trouble going to sleep

Post Likes
    THX Dad...

IMO both of those forums are gonna be helpful to us PRO's...
    One of them for our profession...
    The other to help us with our personal stuff...
    Both are important!

THX again!

GA
    GA-HVAC-Tech

14. Likes Dad liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    Right now, I just have this one question:

https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread...9#post25704249
    I'm looking as of right now the new addition is for equipment that has been forn 5 and 50 pounds machines, If you dispose of it you (tech, Comapny tech works for or owner) must record the type of unit, the location of the unit and how much refrigerant was removed.

What I'm looking for is the verification of leak checks, This is broken down into 3 catigories Industrial process (>500 pounds) allowed 30% leakage per year. Commercial (50 to 500 pounds) allowed 20% leakage per year. Residential allowed 10% leakage per year. The thought is after evry maintenance repair you must do a leak tightness verification check. Those of us who a pressure drop test and vauum rise test we are doing the leak check. But the idea is if you any refrigerant that amount has leaked out. In the proposed rule if you exceeded the annual allowance or 75% of the total charge in must be docuemnted and reported to the EPA. I'm trying to see if the >75% reporting requirement stayed in the final rule

Post Likes
    A forum was created for these types of posts now.

Quote Originally Posted by Answer-Man View Post
    I'm looking as of right now the new addition is for equipment that has been forn 5 and 50 pounds machines, If you dispose of it you (tech, Comapny tech works for or owner) must record the type of unit, the location of the unit and how much refrigerant was removed.

What I'm looking for is the verification of leak checks, This is broken down into 3 catigories Industrial process (>500 pounds) allowed 30% leakage per year. Commercial (50 to 500 pounds) allowed 20% leakage per year. Residential allowed 10% leakage per year. The thought is after evry maintenance repair you must do a leak tightness verification check. Those of us who a pressure drop test and vauum rise test we are doing the leak check. But the idea is if you any refrigerant that amount has leaked out. In the proposed rule if you exceeded the annual allowance or 75% of the total charge in must be docuemnted and reported to the EPA. I'm trying to see if the >75% reporting requirement stayed in the final rule

Post Likes
    It was recommeended in the proposed chages that and annual leak evaulation needs to done on Commercial and Industrial equipment. I was trying to see if that got left in the final rule as well

Post Likes
    I saw that just happen about 1 hour ago

Post Likes
    Speaking of adding forums. I think we need a b*tch and moan forum. I designated place to cry our woes lol

20. Likes BALloyd, Turtleman liked this post.
    Post Likes

22. Likes Core_d, BALloyd liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I showed up to late, Dad already did it all.

Thanks Dad, "You Rock" !!!!!
    If sense were so common everyone would have it !
    You cannot protect the Stupid from themselves !
    "Experience is the ability to recognize a mistake Before you make it again!" (Stolen Quote)

Post Likes

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in