+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DC amps

Post Likes

DC amps

Hi all,

I’m new to the forum and new to HVAC as well. I’m looking for a good clamp meter. I have the Fluke 324 and 325 in my sights. I already have a Fluke 116 as well. My only hang up is, how likely am I to need to measure DC amps in the HVAC trade?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by leathermaneod View Post
    Hi all,

I’m new to the forum and new to HVAC as well. I’m looking for a good clamp meter. I have the Fluke 324 and 325 in my sights. I already have a Fluke 116 as well. My only hang up is, how likely am I to need to measure DC amps in the HVAC trade?

Can be very likely, especially if you move into controls..........flame sensing is in micro amps

3. Likes leathermaneod liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lkapigian View Post
    Can be very likely, especially if you move into controls..........flame sensing is in micro amps
    Thank you for the reply! I read a bit about the flame sensor testing since my 116 has that function. Would I need an amp clamp for control related measurements, or a dmm that can measure dc amps?

Post Likes
    Thank you for the reply! I read a bit about the flame sensor testing since my 116 has that function. Would I need an amp clamp for control related measurements, or a dmm that can measure dc amps?

dmm for me

6. Likes leathermaneod liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Hi all,

how likely am I to need to measure DC amps in the HVAC trade?

For residential/light commercial you will not need a clamp for DC current.
    -Marty

Post Likes
    All of the inverter type stuff that is dc can be measured using the ac amp function on your meter. It acts as an ac sine with half the wave missing.

Post Likes
    Yes, it's pretty important. I don't like buying a meter that can't do most, if not all, of the functions I normally need. Sometimes it's just not possible to find such a meter, but usually you can come really close, you'll have to look around. I can give you some clues.
    Fieldpiece meters are top notch and have nearly all anyone could ask for. Klein CL450 has it all, Amprobe ACD-14-Pro has all but dc millivolts to check thermocouples. Same with the ACD-51-NAV, but it has a killer screen, does watts and pf, and is a cat IV meter. Just a few ideas.
    Don't ever underestimate the need for a clamp meter, it can be used in all kinds of ways. It's nice to be able to be on a rooftop and check the amps on a "supposedly" running fan and be able to confirm it is actually drawing current. Motor starting checks are also handy as a shirt pocket.

Post Likes
    Not too likely that in HVAC or Refrig that you will be working with DC current above the inline DCA capacity of most meters.

If you were to get into Solar, wind, battery storage and power inverters, that'd be a different story.....
    “A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein

11. Likes Turtleman liked this post.
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in