+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Any advice on pellet grills?

Post Likes

Any advice on pellet grills?

I'm looking at getting a pellet grill. Been researching for about 6 months or so. I don't want to spend more than a grand on it. Will be used probably 7 days a week during the summer and maybe 1 or 2 days a week during the winter. I've somewhat made up my mind on a Camp Chef Woodwind with a sidekick stove/griddle for $900 https://www.campchef.com/woodwind/wo...-sidekick.html It has great reviews. I see a lot of people who swear by Rectec Stampede at the same price point. https://www.rectecgrills.com/rec-tec-grills-stampede/ Any of you have experience with either one of these, or another brand/model I should consider?
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    Well my grill friend,
    You and a small group of others finally got to me. I broke down and bought a Camp Chef today.

https://m.dickssportinggoods.com/p/c...24bttrplltxcfp

Already have it put together. Gonna burn it off tomorrow.
    Have a pork shoulder waiting in the fridge for Sunday. Thinking about doing a brisket with it.
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    I think you got a "smoki'n" deal.

Post Likes
    I've found this thread as well as some others, devoted to grill topic, because I wanted to know if someone else has an electric grill, like me. It seems to me, that no one else does!
    I've bought Char-Broil Patio Bistro and I expected something more from it. I've found it on a source with the description of electric grilles and I somehow decided it could be a good idea to order this model. BUT I'd like to notice, it wasn't. So, I write here for everyone know don't buy such grill ever! Because they are not grilles at all! Yes, they are portable and smaller, maybe, cheaper, but They are still no grilles, they are like big steak grill pans! There is no opportunity to get this special grill smell of fire and its smoke.
    Yes, I'm upset and wanted to share this information with those who's planning to buy a grill.
    Last edited by Dad; 12-12-2019 at 09:49 AM.

Post Likes
    I recently went to target and saw a pellet grill. Had no idea what it was so decided to do some research. I’ve been looking up pellet grills and the capabilities seem amazing. I’ve seen the big two seem to be traeger and rec tec. The traeger seems to be the original and rec tec looks very solid even looks like it may have the edge over traeger and the price is a bit lower. I was wondering if anyone has some input in regards to the rec tec 700. I’m a bit worried with such a big hopper is there a way to change pellets? It’s kinda tough cause I can run up the street and easily check out a traeger but don’t know who sells rec tec other than themselves.

Post Likes
    Any feedback from you guys on this pellet grill.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...l?cm_vc=-10005

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mofotech View Post
    Any feedback from you guys on this pellet grill.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...l?cm_vc=-10005
    I've never heard of them, which doesn't mean anything. I have 2 comments. The hopper holds 10lbs of pellets. Most of the big name grills hold 15-20lbs. The reason I bring this up is on an all day smoke you're going to have to babysit the hopper at some point in time. The combination of the way the auger feeds, the square design of the hopper, and the shape of the pellets, of that 10lbs, you'll probably only get 5-7lbs on a smoke before you will have to agitate the pellets. I think the grill manufacturers should redesign the hoppers with a deep pitch on the bottom to funnel pellets better. Second, I went to their website to look up warranty There is a short blurb and it is vague. Couldn't find the actual written warranty.

The description says it can cook 46 burgers. Must be White Castle Sliders, because it's only a 28" wide grill.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    I've never heard of them, which doesn't mean anything. I have 2 comments. The hopper holds 10lbs of pellets. Most of the big name grills hold 15-20lbs. The reason I bring this up is on an all day smoke you're going to have to babysit the hopper at some point in time. The combination of the way the auger feeds, the square design of the hopper, and the shape of the pellets, of that 10lbs, you'll probably only get 5-7lbs on a smoke before you will have to agitate the pellets. I think the grill manufacturers should redesign the hoppers with a deep pitch on the bottom to funnel pellets better. Second, I went to their website to look up warranty There is a short blurb and it is vague. Couldn't find the actual written warranty.

The description says it can cook 46 burgers. Must be White Castle Sliders, because it's only a 28" wide grill.
    Thanks for the feedback 2sac. I was just about to go buy this pellet grill. I went earlier today and bought some briskets from my local halaal meat shop. The shop owner does a very good job cutting meat and all his meat is also organic. I have already rubbed them with dry rub spices. Loll , im look around again for a good deal on a pellet grill. I really want to cook some briskets either later in the evening or tomorrow early morning.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the feedback 2sac. I was just about to go buy this pellet grill. I went earlier today and bought some briskets from my local halaal meat shop. The shop owner does a very good job cutting meat and all his meat is also organic. I have already rubbed them with dry rub spices. Loll , im look around again for a good deal on a pellet grill. I really want to cook some briskets either later in the evening or tomorrow early morning.
    Ahh, so you're doing things ass backwards . The TS website has both a Pit Boss and Camp Chef, both are familiar brands. I can vouch for the quality of Camp Chef. Mine gets used 5-7 days a week year round.

Post Likes
    Ahh, so you're doing things ass backwards . The TS website has both a Pit Boss and Camp Chef, both are familiar brands. I can vouch for the quality of Camp Chef. Mine gets used 5-7 days a week year round.
    I know, loll.. I was just excited to go buy that pellet grill. Its $299 and I thought that was a good deal. So I did jump the gun and got my briskets ready... i'm looking now .. hopefully I find some pellet grill priced well.

edit: can't find any real good deals on brand names. I did find a good deal from academy sports but the grill is some off brand and I read the reviews.. they don't give any support if something goes wrong.

So i'm buy this one :

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pit-Boss-...robe/160692525
    wHen I diE I hOpe gOd haS mErcy oN my SiNful LifE

Post Likes
    2sac, I got a good bargain. I got the pit boss Classic pellet grill . This one I picked up was on clearance ..i think because the box was a bit beat up. ( all of the same other units were normal price) But I got it for $297, where normal price was $397. I am assembling it right now and I may put the briskets in there now.. lets see.. it is raining a little bit in GA.

12. Likes 2sac liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I'm looking at getting a pellet grill. Been researching for about 6 months or so. I don't want to spend more than a grand on it. Will be used probably 7 days a week during the summer and maybe 1 or 2 days a week during the winter. I've somewhat made up my mind on a Camp Chef Woodwind with a sidekick stove/griddle for $900 https://www.campchef.com/woodwind/wo...-sidekick.html It has great reviews. I see a lot of people who swear by Rectec Stampede at the same price point. https://www.rectecgrills.com/rec-tec-grills-stampede/ Any of you have experience with either one of these, or another brand/model I should consider?
    Bought the recteq 700 3 months ago it is absolutely awesome I use it 4 or 5 times a week

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
    RTB Mechanical
    734-315-0064
    http://rtbmechanical.com

Post Likes
    2sac, I got a good bargain. I got the pit boss Classic pellet grill . This one I picked up was on clearance ..i think because the box was a bit beat up. ( all of the same other units were normal price) But I got it for $297, where normal price was $397. I am assembling it right now and I may put the briskets in there now.. lets see.. it is raining a little bit in GA.
    What size are the briskets?
    Make sure to burn the smoker in before you put any food in it. Lots of oils and other nasty stuff to burn off before you put on a nice cut of meat.
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rider77 View Post
    What size are the briskets?
    Make sure to burn the smoker in before you put any food in it. Lots of oils and other nasty stuff to burn off before you put on a nice cut of meat.
    How long should I burn/breakin-in the new grill? The briskets maybe 4" wide, 3" thick and 7" long. More or less. They weight about 2 lbs more or less. I got three of them as they use to be as one big brisket. But I cut them in 3 pieces thinking it may cook easier as this will be my first time.

Post Likes
    Usually 1.5-2 hours per pound.
    Burn off should be at least an hour. This should be covered in the manual.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rider77 View Post
    Usually 1.5-2 hours per pound.
    Burn off should be at least an hour. This should be covered in the manual.
    Whats a good temp? 250F?

Post Likes
    How did the brisket turn out?

Post Likes
    How did the brisket turn out?
    Ummm.. not the best. The brisket swelled up. The meat was rubbery. Some parts inside still pinkish. I like them well done. I think where screwed up cooked them maybe too high of temperture. I kept going between 200-250F. Towards the end I put it on smoke temps which was below 200F. I also used olive oil to moisten the meat but someone told me I should use water instead? Cook time was between 1.5-2.5 hrs.

Post Likes
    Putting them into practice will up your game for sure, and give you a smokey alternative to BBQ dinners that everyone will appreciate. Or maybe reading our tips and tricks has persuaded you that you definitely need one

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in