Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Results 101 to 118 of 118

Thread: Need Some Assistance Trying to Design a Very Small Solar Panel Setup

  1. #101
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    2,892
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    I think it has more to do with the shear expense of the batteries. Then factor in the life span of the batteries, and that cost goes up dramatically.
    yep, have to take into consideration the lifespan of the batteries .....

    battery technology seems to be somewhat lagging, OR, the battery companies in China are fighting any new technology ..... but then i can't see innovation being stopped either, especially since batteries are so important ...

  2. #102
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bay Area California
    Posts
    30,677
    Post Likes
    But then you have no power when the power goes out.

    Like I said, I've got a small portable generator for power when the power goes out. Then camping lanterns for light at night. I've had comments that my house was the only house with lights on when the power went out. They ask how? I say camping lanterns.

    I just crack the front and back doors so the fumes won't collect.


    Quote Originally Posted by hvacskills View Post
    batteries pretty much do throw a wrench into the works as far a house system, probably why people just feed back into the grid, no investment in batteries that need to be replaced, plus a return on the cost of the rest of the equipment ...
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

  3. #103
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bay Area California
    Posts
    30,677
    Post Likes
    I don't think it has anything to do with China. I was reading an article that was stating power storage is the single limiting factor to things like solar and wind power. They're working on it, this particular article was stating the technology is probably tens years out, provided technological advances continue at the rate they have been going.

    My guess is that whoever figures it out, will greatly benefit financially.


    Quote Originally Posted by hvacskills View Post
    yep, have to take into consideration the lifespan of the batteries .....

    battery technology seems to be somewhat lagging, OR, the battery companies in China are fighting any new technology ..... but then i can't see innovation being stopped either, especially since batteries are so important ...
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    2,892
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    But then you have no power when the power goes out.

    Like I said, I've got a small portable generator for power when the power goes out. Then camping lanterns for light at night. I've had comments that my house was the only house with lights on when the power went out. They ask how? I say camping lanterns.

    I just crack the front and back doors so the fumes won't collect.
    the battery part is / was confusing, several different options, not sure what to make of it ..... sure they may come in handy for my system at times, but maybe just a bad investment .... bought a few things to experiment with some 18650 batteries, not sure how far I will go with that, maybe just end up fixing a few computer batteries or make a few small portable power packs

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    2,892
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    I don't think it has anything to do with China. I was reading an article that was stating power storage is the single limiting factor to things like solar and wind power. They're working on it, this particular article was stating the technology is probably tens years out, provided technological advances continue at the rate they have been going.

    My guess is that whoever figures it out, will greatly benefit financially.
    I agree with that statement, put a wrench into the works for me .... I heard something about nano technology

    http://www.understandingnano.com/batteries.html

  6. #106
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bay Area California
    Posts
    30,677
    Post Likes
    But it could have something to do with corporate America. Tesla was working on getting power into homes with no wires. "But then how would we meter it so we could charge the customer". Think he lost a bunch of financing after that point. D'oh !!

    Seriously though, I don't think you could pump enough electricity through the air to do much more than light a light bulb here and there. At least not without other health concerns and a huge waste. But Tesla was thinking well ahead of his time.


    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    I don't think it has anything to do with China. I was reading an article that was stating power storage is the single limiting factor to things like solar and wind power. They're working on it, this particular article was stating the technology is probably tens years out, provided technological advances continue at the rate they have been going.

    My guess is that whoever figures it out, will greatly benefit financially.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

  7. #107
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Galivants ferry SC
    Posts
    177
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    But it could have something to do with corporate America. Tesla was working on getting power into homes with no wires. "But then how would we meter it so we could charge the customer". Think he lost a bunch of financing after that point. D'oh !!

    Seriously though, I don't think you could pump enough electricity through the air to do much more than light a light bulb here and there. At least not without other health concerns and a huge waste. But Tesla was thinking well ahead of his time.
    It called the power wall.

    https://www.tesla.com/powerwall

    and best batts to date if you have the $$$ 5000 cycles

    https://battlebornbatteries.com/

  8. #108
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bay Area California
    Posts
    30,677
    Post Likes
    Actually, I was thinking of Nikola Tesla, somewhere around the early 1900's. I could probably find a link if you wanted.

    Couldn't help myself. Try Googling:

    Wardenclyffe Tower


    Quote Originally Posted by Lawrosa View Post
    It called the power wall.

    https://www.tesla.com/powerwall

    and best batts to date if you have the $$$ 5000 cycles

    https://battlebornbatteries.com/
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

  9. #109
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    2,892
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    Actually, I was thinking of Nikola Tesla, somewhere around the early 1900's. I could probably find a link if you wanted.

    Couldn't help myself. Try Googling:

    Wardenclyffe Tower
    Tesla pioneered / invented AC current motors / generators .... back in the early days there was a battle between AC current and DC current ...... Edison was going for DC current, but the problem with DC current is its limited distance due to voltage drop in the wires, so really thick wires and transmission stations were needed every few blocks, AC current could be transmitted for hundreds of miles at a higher voltage with thinner wires ....

  10. #110
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bay Area California
    Posts
    30,677
    Post Likes
    The bigger point here that you are trying to make is that changing the voltage through the use of transformers is not possible with DC. Well, technology does exist today, but not as inexpensively or reliably as with a simple transformer.

    I'm not up on it, but I think some power transmission lines run over half a million volts. Imagine the size of the wire if those were run at 230 volts.

    LOL


    Quote Originally Posted by hvacskills View Post
    Tesla pioneered / invented AC motors / generators .... back in the early days there was a battle between AC current and DC current ...... Edison was going for DC current, but the problem with DC current is its limited distance due to voltage drop in the wires, so really thick wires and a transmission stations were needed every few blocks, AC current could be transmitted for hundreds of miles at a higher voltage with thinner wires ....
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

  11. #111
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bay Area California
    Posts
    30,677
    Post Likes
    I think the original power generators he designed and built for Niagara Falls are still in use. And the windings have never been touched (don't know about the bearings). Seems I saw some mention of that on one of those PMS shows.


    Quote Originally Posted by hvacskills View Post
    Tesla pioneered / invented AC current motors / generators .... back in the early days there was a battle between AC current and DC current ...... Edison was going for DC current, but the problem with DC current is its limited distance due to voltage drop in the wires, so really thick wires and transmission stations were needed every few blocks, AC current could be transmitted for hundreds of miles at a higher voltage with thinner wires ....
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

  12. #112
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    2,892
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    I think the original power generators he designed and built for Niagara Falls are still in use. And the windings have never been touched (don't know about the bearings). Seems I saw some mention of that on one of those PMS shows.
    built by Westinghouse ... Westinghouse was another brilliant person, got his start by inventing air brakes for trains

  13. #113
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    2,892
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacskills View Post

    solar panels : 4 - Live Solar 300 watts panels ..... went with polycrystalline panels even though they are slightly less efficient than monocrystalline panels, supposedly if a monocrystalline panel is slightly covered / obscured the entire panel can shut down, supposedly that is not the case with polycrystalline panels, figured ice / snow may be an issue

    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Live-Sol...300W/306246905
    to clarify on the solar panels

    monocrystalline are slightly more efficient than polycrystalline panels, however, both panels will produce the same 300 watts, it is just the polycrystalline panels are physically larger to compensate

  14. #114
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    2,892
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    I think the original power generators he designed and built for Niagara Falls are still in use. And the windings have never been touched (don't know about the bearings). Seems I saw some mention of that on one of those PMS shows.
    a testament to doing something right, obviously engineered and built well ....

  15. #115
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    2,892
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    But it could have something to do with corporate America. Tesla was working on getting power into homes with no wires. "But then how would we meter it so we could charge the customer". Think he lost a bunch of financing after that point. D'oh !!

    Seriously though, I don't think you could pump enough electricity through the air to do much more than light a light bulb here and there. At least not without other health concerns and a huge waste. But Tesla was thinking well ahead of his time.
    not sure, do not know enough to say .... but it seems some kind of technology is known, maybe it is just lacking the financial backing to fully develop ... and as far as we know ' status quo ' profits could be good in the existing battery business, probably not much of a financial incentive to build fewer more efficient longer lasting batteries ....

  16. #116
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Hamersville, Ohio
    Posts
    7,316
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawrosa View Post
    It called the power wall.

    https://www.tesla.com/powerwall

    and best batts to date if you have the $$$ 5000 cycles

    https://battlebornbatteries.com/
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.


    "You've got to Stand for Something or You'll fall for anything" (A. Tippin)


    Mat_15:24 But he answered, “I wasn’t sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

  17. #117
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    2,892
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    Like I said, I've got a small portable generator for power when the power goes out.
    just fired mine up now to power the refrigerator, lost power again, just went to grocery store today

    one bad thing about a generator is they are not exactly stealth at 2 30 AM ... apparently the equipment has arrived, having some batteries about now would be cool ...

  18. #118
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Hamersville, Ohio
    Posts
    7,316
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawrosa View Post
    It called the power wall.

    https://www.tesla.com/powerwall

    and best batts to date if you have the $$$ 5000 cycles

    https://battlebornbatteries.com/
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.


    "You've got to Stand for Something or You'll fall for anything" (A. Tippin)


    Mat_15:24 But he answered, “I wasn’t sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •