+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Need Some Assistance Trying to Design a Very Small Solar Panel Setup

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    I think it has more to do with the shear expense of the batteries. Then factor in the life span of the batteries, and that cost goes up dramatically.
    yep, have to take into consideration the lifespan of the batteries .....

battery technology seems to be somewhat lagging, OR, the battery companies in China are fighting any new technology ..... but then i can't see innovation being stopped either, especially since batteries are so important ...

Post Likes
    But then you have no power when the power goes out.

Like I said, I've got a small portable generator for power when the power goes out. Then camping lanterns for light at night. I've had comments that my house was the only house with lights on when the power went out. They ask how? I say camping lanterns.

I just crack the front and back doors so the fumes won't collect.

Quote Originally Posted by hvacskills View Post
    batteries pretty much do throw a wrench into the works as far a house system, probably why people just feed back into the grid, no investment in batteries that need to be replaced, plus a return on the cost of the rest of the equipment ...
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    I don't think it has anything to do with China. I was reading an article that was stating power storage is the single limiting factor to things like solar and wind power. They're working on it, this particular article was stating the technology is probably tens years out, provided technological advances continue at the rate they have been going.

My guess is that whoever figures it out, will greatly benefit financially.

yep, have to take into consideration the lifespan of the batteries .....

battery technology seems to be somewhat lagging, OR, the battery companies in China are fighting any new technology ..... but then i can't see innovation being stopped either, especially since batteries are so important ...

Post Likes
    But then you have no power when the power goes out.

Like I said, I've got a small portable generator for power when the power goes out. Then camping lanterns for light at night. I've had comments that my house was the only house with lights on when the power went out. They ask how? I say camping lanterns.

I just crack the front and back doors so the fumes won't collect.
    the battery part is / was confusing, several different options, not sure what to make of it ..... sure they may come in handy for my system at times, but maybe just a bad investment .... bought a few things to experiment with some 18650 batteries, not sure how far I will go with that, maybe just end up fixing a few computer batteries or make a few small portable power packs

Post Likes
    I don't think it has anything to do with China. I was reading an article that was stating power storage is the single limiting factor to things like solar and wind power. They're working on it, this particular article was stating the technology is probably tens years out, provided technological advances continue at the rate they have been going.

I agree with that statement, put a wrench into the works for me .... I heard something about nano technology

http://www.understandingnano.com/batteries.html

Post Likes
    But it could have something to do with corporate America. Tesla was working on getting power into homes with no wires. "But then how would we meter it so we could charge the customer". Think he lost a bunch of financing after that point. D'oh !!

Seriously though, I don't think you could pump enough electricity through the air to do much more than light a light bulb here and there. At least not without other health concerns and a huge waste. But Tesla was thinking well ahead of his time.

Post Likes
    But it could have something to do with corporate America. Tesla was working on getting power into homes with no wires. "But then how would we meter it so we could charge the customer". Think he lost a bunch of financing after that point. D'oh !!

Seriously though, I don't think you could pump enough electricity through the air to do much more than light a light bulb here and there. At least not without other health concerns and a huge waste. But Tesla was thinking well ahead of his time.
    It called the power wall.

https://www.tesla.com/powerwall

and best batts to date if you have the $$$ 5000 cycles

https://battlebornbatteries.com/

Post Likes
    Actually, I was thinking of Nikola Tesla, somewhere around the early 1900's. I could probably find a link if you wanted.

Couldn't help myself. Try Googling:

Wardenclyffe Tower

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrosa View Post

Post Likes
    Actually, I was thinking of Nikola Tesla, somewhere around the early 1900's. I could probably find a link if you wanted.

Couldn't help myself. Try Googling:

Wardenclyffe Tower
    Tesla pioneered / invented AC current motors / generators .... back in the early days there was a battle between AC current and DC current ...... Edison was going for DC current, but the problem with DC current is its limited distance due to voltage drop in the wires, so really thick wires and transmission stations were needed every few blocks, AC current could be transmitted for hundreds of miles at a higher voltage with thinner wires ....

Post Likes
    The bigger point here that you are trying to make is that changing the voltage through the use of transformers is not possible with DC. Well, technology does exist today, but not as inexpensively or reliably as with a simple transformer.

I'm not up on it, but I think some power transmission lines run over half a million volts. Imagine the size of the wire if those were run at 230 volts.

LOL

Tesla pioneered / invented AC motors / generators .... back in the early days there was a battle between AC current and DC current ...... Edison was going for DC current, but the problem with DC current is its limited distance due to voltage drop in the wires, so really thick wires and a transmission stations were needed every few blocks, AC current could be transmitted for hundreds of miles at a higher voltage with thinner wires ....

Post Likes
    I think the original power generators he designed and built for Niagara Falls are still in use. And the windings have never been touched (don't know about the bearings). Seems I saw some mention of that on one of those PMS shows.

Tesla pioneered / invented AC current motors / generators .... back in the early days there was a battle between AC current and DC current ...... Edison was going for DC current, but the problem with DC current is its limited distance due to voltage drop in the wires, so really thick wires and transmission stations were needed every few blocks, AC current could be transmitted for hundreds of miles at a higher voltage with thinner wires ....

Post Likes
    I think the original power generators he designed and built for Niagara Falls are still in use. And the windings have never been touched (don't know about the bearings). Seems I saw some mention of that on one of those PMS shows.
    built by Westinghouse ... Westinghouse was another brilliant person, got his start by inventing air brakes for trains

Post Likes

solar panels : 4 - Live Solar 300 watts panels ..... went with polycrystalline panels even though they are slightly less efficient than monocrystalline panels, supposedly if a monocrystalline panel is slightly covered / obscured the entire panel can shut down, supposedly that is not the case with polycrystalline panels, figured ice / snow may be an issue

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Live-Sol...300W/306246905
    to clarify on the solar panels

monocrystalline are slightly more efficient than polycrystalline panels, however, both panels will produce the same 300 watts, it is just the polycrystalline panels are physically larger to compensate

Post Likes
    a testament to doing something right, obviously engineered and built well ....

Post Likes

not sure, do not know enough to say .... but it seems some kind of technology is known, maybe it is just lacking the financial backing to fully develop ... and as far as we know ' status quo ' profits could be good in the existing battery business, probably not much of a financial incentive to build fewer more efficient longer lasting batteries ....

Post Likes

Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.

"You've got to Stand for Something or You'll fall for anything" (A. Tippin)

Mat_15:24 But he answered, “I wasn’t sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

Post Likes
    Like I said, I've got a small portable generator for power when the power goes out.
    just fired mine up now to power the refrigerator, lost power again, just went to grocery store today

one bad thing about a generator is they are not exactly stealth at 2 30 AM ... apparently the equipment has arrived, having some batteries about now would be cool ...

Post Likes

Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.

"You've got to Stand for Something or You'll fall for anything" (A. Tippin)

Mat_15:24 But he answered, “I wasn’t sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in