Thread: Aprilaire 600 not working well

Post Likes

Aprilaire 600 not working well

What is the expected water flow rate for an Aprilaire 600? The water is draining faster, perhaps double the rate the drain can accommodate. The same device and drain have been here for ten years without this issue, and Im trying to determine if the device or the drain is the problem. I thought the volume should be a trickle or even a drip, but it is coming through as a steady stream. The drain will handle small amounts of water at a steady rate so perhaps the humidifier should be repaired or replaced.

Post Likes
    If I remember correctly there is a very small orifice in the plastic water line just before the solenoid valve to keep the flow where it is needed for the humidifier and that orifice needs to be replaced periodically. And it could still be the drain is at fault (dirty or restricted).

Post Likes
    When was the last time the panel was replaced?

Who did it?
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    I'm suspecting that something is damaged in the device, but wasn't sure what, as I didn't know exactly what it should look and act like. I bought a water panel yesterday and installed it myself but it did not seem to improve anything. The problem started a few days earlier. I see there is a Aprilaire 600 Series Humidifier Maintenance Kit that includes a "Compression Sleeve", an "orifice" and various other items. Perhaps this kit will help, at least it's much less expensive than any of the other alternatives.

Post Likes
    Is the kit, which apparently replaces a half dozen components, not just the water panel, likely to address this issue of excessive flow?

The technician who came out last seemed to think highly of the Aprilaire 800 steam version, I suspect that would do what I want, but at a high cost.

The current humidifier doesn’t seem to get the levels as high as I would like, as I recall the RH on the coldest day didn’t get over 20%, and I’d like much more if I can get it. I was glad for the 20%, but would I get higher RH levels with something like the model 800? Or could the 600 be doing better if it was better installed or maintained?

Post Likes
    If the 600 isn't connected to the hot water line. Than connecting it to the hot water line will increase the amount of humidity you get. Too high of an indoor humidity can cause condensation to form on your windows.

The 800 when it does its auto flush will run more water down the drain than your 600 does.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?